NUCLEAR DEAL BENEFICIAL FOR INDIA

Posted on April 3, 2008 in Specials

With Prime Minister, Dr Manmohan Singh and Foreign Minister, Mr. Pranab Mukherji explaining in detail the progress so far and the wider implications of the Indo-US Nuclear Agreement in the Lok Sabha debate on November 28, many so far ignored aspects of the agreement were highlighted. The important thing was that even though some of the political parties stuck to their known positions, the Government did get an opportunity to put across the national interest element in the agreement, which has come to he popularly known as 123 and assert that neither the agreement, nor the negotiations being carried out with the International Atomic Energy Agency were being allowed to subvert India’s sovereignty, nor was the India specific agreement applicable and detrimental to the country’s strategic nuclear programme. It was a ‘passport’ to India’s entry into the world nuclear arena for civil nuclear cooperation.

It must be recalled that there had been much hysteric, uninformed and distorted debate about the Nuclear Deal or the 123. Politicians, political parties and some amateur alarmists were the first to jump into the fray, spitting brimstone and fire and crying foul. They tilted at one another in full panic and phobia and gave more of an expression to their anti-Americanism rather than enlightened, cool and rational discussion on an issue which was not exactly bilateral but the beginning of the end of nuclear isolation of India and beginning of its global role among the nuclear energy arena.

As the eminent analyst Manoj Joshi would point out, “The Indo-US nuclear deal is not about New Delhi and Washington, but fitting India’s interests into the world order, even while addressing global proliferation concerns.
credits: www.himalayanaffairs.org

SO FOLKS, WHATS YOUR TAKE ON THE NUCLEAR DEAL????? POST YOUR COMMENTS AND BE HEARD.