AN INDIA FORGOTTEN BY BOTH MAN AND GOD.

Posted on June 17, 2008 in Specials

In an era of growth and development, where India is forging ahead as an economy, there are still places in our country less known about or rather, forgotten by both man and God.

One such place is Balgudia, a small village in U.P. Cut off from the glitz and glamour of the mainstream India, life in Balgudia is in slow mo. Statistics say that nearly 60% of people in Balgudia are suffering from some form of disability due to deficiency of iodine. People here suffer from disabilities like Hypothyroidism, mental disability, Goitre, Dwarfism, Squints, Deafness, etc. Some are borderline cases while some are severely affected.
AN OVERVIEW: In India, a population of nearly 7 crore suffers from some kind of disability due to Iodine deficiency out of which around 200million are at risk.
Iodine present in common salt is crucial for the development of the brain, deficiency of which leads to cretinism, birth defects, low IQ, dwarfism, goitre in man and animal.
GOVENMENT’S ROLE: Though not too successful, Govt. of India made iodised salt mandatory in 1962 through the Salt Act.
In 2002, salt traders in Gujrat pressurised the Govt. to take back the Salt Act, the reverse of which happened in May’07 when the Govt. made it mandatory for all salt producers in the country to produce only iodised salt.
PLIGHT OF BALGUDIA: But it seems Balgudia is unaware of all this. People of Balgudia are uninformed about iodine and the consequences of its deficiency. Even the local doctors, local administration, religious leaders or even the village sarpanch have taken no action to inform the villagers.
Though there are public info messages broadcasted over T.V. and Radios, the villagers are too poor for these luxuries.
WHAT ARE WE TO DE? : What is your take on this? Is this the India we are heading towards? What will be the fate of these villagers of Balgudia.
Are we to do nothing?
LETS CREATE AWARENESS ABOUT THIS PROBLEM SO THAT MORE AND MORE PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT IODINE DEFICIENCY AND JOIN IN TO HELP AN INDIA FORGOTTEN BY BOTH MAN AND GOD.
-Anshul Tewari