SAVE ME FROM THE POOR…… REMOVE THE CLASS DIVIDE

Posted on June 16, 2008

Recently, on 14 june 08, i read an article in the hindustan times How to save ourselves from the poor……… Based on the article i would like to share a few points with you on how to make a change for the poor rather than just blaming the Government for everything.
First point to be kept in mind:
IF YOU HAVE IT, THEN DONT FLAUNT IT : Lets not flaunt our wealth. We have a right to the fruit of our hard work and opportunities. But we are so very well to do in a country where millons are dirt poor and never had the opportunities to work hard like us for a better life.
So, lets NOT discuss the cost of anything before our home help. Lets remove and destroy price tags before they can see them.When we take them to the malls, lets not use them like coolies while we casually spend Rs. 500 on ten little pieces of chocolate.
Lets make a point of feeding the helpers first at children’s birthday party……….
REMEMBER: THE GRACE AND PUNYA OF FEEDING THE ‘SERVANTS’ FIRST IS BEYOND COMPUTATION AS MANY OF US REALISE ALREADY.

RESPECT THEM: At the end of the day, no matter how much we earn, which luxury holiday we’ve been to, the true test of class is how we speak to our social ‘inferiors’. Classy families, even if they are in their reduced circumstances, always speak more politely to their ‘servants’ than to their own relatives. It’s an unfailing test of class anywhere in the world in any society.

PRACTICE SELF RESTRAINTS: Money usually leads to moral irresponsibility, that people feel they can buy their way out of accountability. Small stuff like not buying everything that catches our eye, like valueing home food more, praising and respecting our helpers, not being afraid of them but earning their good feelings and therefore our own well being, can really help.

BAPU SAID : ” The first step towards equal distribution is for him who has made this ideal part of his being, to bring about a change in his personal life. He would reduce his wants to minimum, bearing in mind the poverty of India. His earnings would be free of dishonesty. The desire for speculation would be renounced. his habitation would be in keeping with his new mode of life. There would be self restraint practiced in every sphere .”
If more scriptual affirmation is needed for toning down and refraining from ‘show off’, do lets consider Sudama, who was rewarded most magnificent by Sri Krishna. The literal meaning of ‘Su-dama’ is ‘good restraint’.
( source: Hindustan Times)

FLAG THIS POST