WHY CAN’T WE ACCEPT ‘THEM’ ?

Posted on September 22, 2008 in Society

-Anshul Tewari

” I have seen ups and downs but had never imagined that my choice could affect others, affect my freedom to speech, affect my freedom to live and even my freedom to breathe; i sometimes face discrimination for a crime i did not commit, i wonder if others would ever treat my like a human. Am i not a human, even though i am a ………..HOMOSEXUAL”
– Rahul Sharma (name changed)
Today I wil be writing on an extremely touchy issue, an issue which might take others by offence, an issue about which people dont like to talk in public, an issue no different from the lives of you and me. So, before i write any further, i apologise if the content of this article offences the thoughts of any human being.

Homosexualityrefers to sexual behavior with or attraction to people of the same sex, or to a homosexual orientation.

Homosexuality has been a feature of human culture since earliest history

Introduction and Overview

In the Indian culture, homosexual people are frequently subject to prejudice and discrimination. Homosexuality in India is generally considered a taboo subject by both Indian civil society and the government. Public discussion of homosexuality in India has been inhibited by the fact that sexuality in any form is rarely discussed openly. Homosexuality is being seen as a social evil. Not only this, Homosexuals are not accepted by majority and are treated very badly.
In recent years, however, attitudes towards homosexuality have shifted slightly. In particular, there have been more depictions and discussions of homosexuality in the Indian news media and by Bollywood which can be quoted as a positive sign. Homosexuals are human beings just like you and me and we ought not discriminate them just because of their sexual preferance. After all its their life. Isnt it?
Though not legal in India, homosexuality is prevailant in each and every part or strata of the society.

Sexual acts ‘against the order of nature’ remain illegal in India, though the government no longer seeks to prosecute adults engaging in private consensual homosexual acts. In recent years, the campaign to decriminalize homosexuality has strengthened. Campaigners emphasize both human rights and health issues, particularly the need to disseminate information about HIV/AIDS. Homosexual relations are legally still a crime in India under an old British era statute dating from 1860 called Section 377 of the Indian Penal Code which criminalizes ‘carnal intercourse against the order of nature.’ The vague nature of the legislation has resulted in it being used against a wide range sexual behavior like oral sex (heterosexual and homosexual), sodomy, bestiality, etc. The punishment ranges from ten years to lifelong imprisonment. The relevant section reads: “Whoever voluntarily has carnal intercourse against the order of nature with any man, woman or animal shall be punished with imprisonment for life, or with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to ten years, and shall also be liable to fine” All i want to convey to the youth is that homosexuality should be accepted for the simple fact that Homosexuals are humans and what have you go to do with their sexuality? If they find the same sex a better companion, its not their FAULT. Its the way they are, and should be accepted. None of the major Indian political parties have endorsed gay rights concerns into their official party manifesto or platform. However, one of the Politburo members of the Communist Party of India (Marxist), Brinda Karat, did write an open letter in 2003 to the then Minister of Law and Justice, Arun Jaitley, demanding a repeal of section 377, IPC. Stigma, prejudice, and discrimination stemming from negative societal attitudes toward homosexuality leads to a higher prevalence of mental health disorders among lesbians, gay men, and bisexuals compared to their heterosexual peers. However, evidence indicates that the liberalization of these attitudes over the past few decades is associated with a decrease in such mental health risks among younger LGBT people. Gay and lesbian youth bear an increased risk of suicide, substance abuse, school problems, and isolation because of a “hostile and condemning environment, verbal and physical abuse, rejection and isolation from family and peers”, psychological and physical abuse by parents or caretakers, and more sexual abuse. Youth Ki Awaaz Plea: I, Anshul Tewari at Youth Ki Awaaz, would like to tell all of you reading this article that we might find it hard to accept the fact that a man can ever love a man or women can ever love women, but the fact is that Homosexuals exist in every strata of the society. Homosexuals are human beings and deserved to be treated like one. You can’t just discriminate them because of their sexual preference. It’s their life for god sake and they have the Right to choose. Don’t they? Are they affecting us? NOT AT ALL. They are not affecting our life at all and neither are they affecting our society. So why should our behavior affect them? They are not taking your breath away. They just demand one thing, freedom and space. Freedom from the boundation of the society, and space to live their life. Homosexuality is NOT a social evil. It’s a way of society. We see a homosexual and say ‘Yuck’, but consider this, if later in life you get to know that your friend, brother, sister or your very own son or daughter are gay what would you do? I asked this question to quite a few people and the response I got was somewhat like this: 40% said that they would get honor killing done, 40% said they would disown them at that moment, 17% said that they would accept it but wouldn’t show it much in front of the society and only 3% said that they would accept it and they meant it. We are humans and we should give other humans the right to choose their love. I have personally had talks with various homosexuals and have come across their problems. They face high degree of prejudice, they are treated nothing less that cockroaches. Where has our humanity that we feel proud of gone? Think practically me dear friends, we are all same, then why treat someone differently? Why not include Gays and Lesbians in the mainstream society and why discriminate them? They are not harmful. When we celebrate independence day and rejoice, they feel bad and ask god that when would they get their freedom? I thoroughly support homosexuality and why not? They are human beings…….and so am I. Many people feel that if Section 377 is abolished it would lead to rapes between same sex, forced slavery and stuff like that. Answer my question people….. Does this not happen today? Isn’t this the responsibility of the judiciary system? Today I request the youth to give each and every point quoted in this article due consideration and then rethink……what if, just what if your relative was a homosexual….would you stop loving him or her….. then why not accept others? Lets come closer to practicality and think about it…………. If someone can make a change it is the youth……………. I would love to know your comments. I would like if you could answer my poll question related to homosexuality in the side bar. Thank you.

Anonymous

i read ur article n i aksed myself dis question….. i never had any prob wid any1being a gay or a lesbian ..bt i asked myself wat if my own daughter or a son or my own sis or a bro …?? will i stand by dem ?? will i accept dem ?? my answer is YES, I WILL…. watever d society or my own family says or think i will… i luv dem n y will i nt.. its individuals own choice .. its d way god has created dem n dey r 1 of us only….i hav seen ppl laughing on dem..making fun of dem… cracking jokes on dem n cant even imagine hw dey feel being discrimintated frm dere own ppl… i truly beleive dem to b a part of us… !! N i would evn request d readers reading dis blog to crsly stand by dese ppl.. dey r no aliens… dey r wat we r… jst feel urself to b dem…may b den u’ll understand wat dey go thru….

Anika

d earlier comment is by m…anika..sry i clicked anonymous by mistk b4…. i crsly luvd ur blog anshul ..each tym i cum onlyn.. i m jst use to reading it nw….many of my frnds sent m d link of dere blogs bt never gt hooked to any1’s blog lyk urs !! gr8 work buddy !!

abaan

with reference to your blog, “why shouldn’t we accept them?”

this correspondent would like to point out that as far as the religious or the social perspective is concerned, homosexuality is a grave sin. the holy bible and the holy koran as well as other holy scriptures describe the act of homosexuality as one of the most abominable sins.

In some sections of the society, especially the youth, accepting homosexuality and fighting for the rights of homosexuals is construed as BROADMINDEDNESS.

this correspondent strongly opposes the whole concept of homosexuality, and strongly condemns those whose voices pervade the repeal of the section 377 of the IPC. the rational logic behind this strong condemnation of the very idea is that it would open the floodgates for delinquent behaviour.

there are many taboos, which still remain locked up in the closet today, atleast in states like India.

i would like to quote a fact here,
there is a happily married australian couple with kids, but the problem is that legalising their marriage is undergoing serious discussions in the australian parliament, the problem – the wife is the sibling of the husband. yes, it is a fact.
i would like to reiterate that, homosexuality is legalised in the australia, and the above quoted incident has took place after the legalisation. it seems, the legalisation of homosexuality has opened a new debate, to legalise other queer forms of sexuality, which include , human-animal intercourse and most specifically incest.

this correspondent personally believes in the saying – ” hate the sin and not the sinner “.
so, i feel that homosexuals are humans and should not be forced devoid of the right to equality that constitutes the bedrock of the modern law.they should not be discriminated against, rather, it should be tried that they change their sexual preference because victims of sexual harassments while childhood or those who were sodomised constitute the majority of the so called homosexuals.

the section 377 of the IPC exists because nearly all the science,social,religious and political intellectuals feel its need and further debates cannot lead to repealing of the same.
and i personally dissent from the idea of the abrogation of the same.

i would like to quote a verse here- “ek hi ullu kaafi hai,barbaad gulistaan karne ko,har shaakh pe ullu baitha hai,anjamein gulistan kya hoga!”

if we legalise homosexuality, it would lead to its endorsement by the so called broad minds of the modern society, and would lead to the perpetual growth in the statistics. we can accept the exceptions someday, but we cannot accept something which may cause the exceptions to become a majority, because that would mean a death of our conscience, the death of our inner humane self, the death of the love of our mother nature. we shall not turn a blind eye to it, if the exceptions become majority, the human existence would be threatened, the human populations would shrink and so would arrive the death of humanity at the hands of broad-mindedness and endorsement of a social and religious evil.

even if it is legalised, homosexuals would not get their share of the pie in countries like india.homosexuality is an infectious disease, and advocating for support of the same is not worth second thought.
we should love nature and try to abide by all its laws.this reporter would like to conclude by just reiterating the fact that anything that can pose a threat to human existence, advocation of the same is not worth contemplating.

Anshul Tewari

YOUTH KI AWAAZ to Abaan- guest correspondent: Youth Ki Awaaz

i appreciate your comment on my blog, dude i accept what you said, but please see that i am not talking about sibling couples, i am talking about people who are fond of the same sex…..i guess there is a difference here. As far as sibling marriage is concerned, i guess that is completely against nature and i guess that is why i said that judicial system should take care of the after effects, if v get into a larger debate we might as well end up talking about the lack of vigilance of judiciary system, and sir, i would like to point out that you and i very well know that the exceptions will not become majority, as far as those who force homosexuality is concerned, there comes judiciary again, my worthy correspondent, you have quoted a great point here and i respect you for that, but our aim at youth ki awaaz is to accept homosexuality in our society but i am not talking about accepting the crimes evolving thereafter. But i personally felt that at a few place your point is quite valid. Especially at the sibling, and also the one related to the crimes. Thanking you heartily- Anshul Tewari

would love to see you as an official part of YOUTH KI AWAAZ
do consider it…

Mysterious

How is appearance related to being gay or lesbian or bisexual? This is a biased point of view.