The year 2008 saw a number of instances. From good ones like Rs.200 pension for AIDS patients and India being tagged as largest Global Market or launch of Chandrayaan, to bad ones like the Gujjar agitation, Kandhamal violence or the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks, India witnessed alot. All this could be tagged as either “good” or “bad”. Bad in the sense that India had to go through a lot of mishaps, Good in the sense that Indians become well aware of the condition of India. And now is the time to act, with the centre elections coming up pretty soon and all the political parties trying their best to please us, it is us, the voters who have to decide the fate of these political jargons. People often ask that why do we say that “voting is the biggest right we have”. In this post we will discuss this question and will find out how we can make or break the future of this country by a single vote. As Mahatma Gandhi rightly said “A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history”, it is our time, so read on to know how we can make full use of this resourceful “right to vote”.
Right To Vote: If you are an Indian citizen aged 18 and above, you have the right to select your Government through means of voting. But how often do we make use of this right? How many of us actually vote? How many of us persuade others to vote?
A research conducted proves that out of the total population, only 55% cast their votes in the previous elections. Out of which only 20% were urban educated population and the rest 80% were rural and/or uneducated/semi educated population. Now, this would certainly raise questions in your mind that were the voters fully aware about whom they were voting for?
When the voters are not aware, they usually end up voting for the wrong person and then they crib. The local leaders promise food and rashan to the village population and lure them to for them. This is not an unknown scenario. People all over India are very well aware that this system of luring the voters is going on.
The people who are aware of the Indian politics are least concerned about voting and are busy with their personal tensions. What they do not think is the larger interest. The interest of the land they call home.
Even after knowing these facts, we act as if we care a lot about our country, but we do simply nothing. We do not exploit the biggest right we could ever have in a democracy-The Right to Vote. And why do we not exploit it? Because we care less.
2008 has made us well aware about our politicians. When the 26/11 occurred, we the youth had promised that we would stand for what is right and would treat the country’s issues as our personal issues. So folks, now is the time.
We very well know that which politicians believe in only speaking Amar Chitra Kathas and which politicians want to only spread their Maya over the voters. We know that who all harp on a particular religion or a community to influence voting and who all indulge in violent moral policing and demolition of holy monuments as an act of outrage and we very well know who indulge in forcefully imposing their rules. And we also know that which politicians think of development and who think of working for the people and not for themselves (although these politicians are in minority).
So isn’t it time to make the true leaders work for our benefits? The youth must understand that we form on important part of the vote bank and can certainly change the course of governance in each and every part of India. Each vote counts. Not only should we vote, but we should also influence others to vote and exploit their right.
Analayse the works of each minister and their credibility and then vote. Check their black and white sides, what they have done for us and what they lacked behind in. Do not vote for someone only cause your parents, relatives or peers vote for him/her. Think think and think again before you cast your vote. I will repeat, as Mahatma Gandhi once said “A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history”.
Log on to www.jaagore.com and register yourself as a voter.
A new Cobrapost report unravels this aspect of droughts through a look at the droughts that regularly afflict the Bundelkhand regionRead More >
Even if the BJP isn’t trying to subvert the law, it isn’t assisting the pursuit of justice either.Read More >
The Supreme Court dismissed Yakub’s curative petition on 21st July, keeping the date for his hanging, at 7am on July 30th.Read More >
What are the chances and strategies of poor and marginalised candidates to swing votes?Read More >
The greater design to curtail one’s freedom to eat food of his or her choice could have grave ramifications for perpetrators of such ridiculous beliefs.Read More >