Varun Gandhi: The new face of the Indian political scenario…..(or the reality of the Indian political scenario?)

Posted on March 17, 2009 in Politics at Play

-Anshul Tewari

While watching the news, there are a number of things which we come across. Some might amuse us and some might offend us. Well, this one was a mix of both for me. The news which caught the “Headlines” panel on the television was that of Varun Gandhi. Varun Gandhi, the son of a well known animal rights activist and a politician, Maneka Gandhi; the grandson of one of India’s best and greatest leaders, Indira Gandhi; and the great grandson of India’s well known saviour and freedom fighter Shri Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru; made rude remarks while contesting and campaigning for his first ever election seat from Pilibhit.

One could never expect Varun Gandhi to make communal remarks, firing direct outrage at Muslims of India. “All the Hindus stay on this side and send the others to Pakistan,” says Varun Gandhi, Leader, BJP. He added, “Go into your villages and towns and spread this message.”

This hate speech by Varun Gandhi has invited sharp reactions from both Hindus and Muslims all over India. Although there are a few BJP leaders who have opposed Varun Gandhi’s comments on the minorities, the BJP, as a party is keeping silent. The Congress, rightly took the opportunity to mark a contrast between Varun and his brother Rahul. Congress also said that the hate speech by Varun was a result of the party environment.

Well, I would like to point out a few things here. The Indian educated class is least interested in such communal comments, and probably think of India and Indians as a single entity. The Indian Muslims are no less than any other community, and have been enjoying the same rights. The point here is that India has faced a lot. Be it in the form of communal riots, or terrorism or cheap politics. We don’t really care what a politician says, probably because in our hearts we all know that we are one.

Back in 2008, Mumbai faced havoc because of speeches by Raj Thackerey. The speech by the son of Sanjay Gandhi has come as a jolt, but the question is that, till when will we entertain such political remarks which have the potential to fire up violence? Although the Election Commission has issued a notice to Varun, the halt should be at the time a person enters politics.

If young leaders like Varun give such defamatory remarks, what can we expect from the others? The fact that India is a country with communal diversity makes it mandatory for each and every citizen to have a feeling of brotherhood.

If politicians conduct campaigns in which they simply give speeches which evoke harmful emotions of the mob, or persuade the less knowledgeable semi-aware population, they are doing nothing less than what an anti-national element would so.

Now it is on us to decide, whether to listen or not. So, what’s your decision?

Post your comments, let us know your arguments, or mail us at [email protected]

I had personally seen & heard thatthe pakistani flag and slogans were being used in Hyderabad,azamgarh,old delhi areas when the cricket match was played between India,pakistan. So varun is still right and send fundamental muslims(not all) to pakistan or elsewhere. Eventhough they get free Hajj ticket,education,job qoutas still crying that they are minority.

Jai Hindustan

Hi Anonymous (may 5, 09),

Even we have seen Pakistani flags and heard Pakistani slogans at a number of places in India. Well, these constitute a small part of the Muslims. When Varun said about sending the Muslims and other communities across the border, he did not specify which part of the Muslim community was he talking about . He surely gave a generalized statement about all Muslims.

I must also point out that there are such fundamentalists in all religions. In Hinduism we have groups like the Bajrang Dal and VHP and the much popular Shri Ram Sene. In Christianity we had Evangelical fundamental groups who converted the people of Kandhamal to Christianity. So having such fundamental groups in Islam is no seclusion and is not exclusive.

The second thing we would like to say is that fundamental groups, be it of Islam, Hinduism or Christianity or Sikhism, all must be banned.

There must be no law exclusively for a religion. If Muslim fundamentalists (as you said it) must be sent out of India, so should be the other fundamentalists.

Another point is that the urban educated Muslim is no more fighting for the rights of a minority. They consider themselves equal and let me quote that they are as much Indians as we are.

No politician has the right to say wrong about any community.

I must also say that I agree with you when you say that fundamental Muslims(not all) must be sent out of India, and even I personally hated the fact that some, only some Muslims were shouting Pakistani slogans. But again, I would like to emphasise on the fact that if action is taken on Fundamental Muslims, the fundamentals of other religions must be treated the same.

Anshul Tewari
Founder and Editor-in-Chief: Youth Ki Awaaz

R.Alamsha Karnan

Let us recall the famous hate speech by Mr.Varun Gandhi, a potential future PM from Nehru-Gandhi dynasty

1. Indian Muslims should be kicked out to Pakistan.
2. Indian Muslims have scary names like Nazarullah, Kareemullah…
3. Muslims should submit to the will of Hindus. If they raise their hands on Hindus, i swear on Gita that i will cut those hands.

This is his election promise. No development, no more poverty and nothing else.

What's the result?

VG won elections with a huge margin of 288521 votes, highest in UP for any candidate including Soniaji.

Be honest. Had every BJP candidate repeated these lines, do you think BJP would have won a landslide victory with a thumping majority?.

Debojit Dutta

this obnoxious weed, is a cuss upon our society. He is a symbol of chauvinism, like many other so called politicians. But whom do we blame? As aforementioned, VG exulted in glory, and we spoon-fed his already gigantic ego. A certain, Mr. Narendra Modi, hailed as messiah of Hindus, upholding the ever glowing torch of religious supremacy, how could we miss him out?

My questions are:

Did any religion ever preach sadism?

Did ‘eye for an eye’ ever enhance your ocular senses?

Can we distinguish from the blood that you so ruthlessly spill and the tear drops you so brutishly long for?

• Of Hate Speech, Communal Violence and the Law
  • 1 5 6 7