The SHOE phase of India

Posted on April 16, 2009 in Politics at Play

-Anshul Tewari

If you feel your voice is going unheard, if you feel anger is overpowering your emotions, if you are upset by the way things are going, don’t worry, just throw a shoe. First Bush on 15th December 2008, then Wen Jiabao on 2nd February 2009, then our Home Minister P.Chidambaram on 7th April 2009, Naveen Jindal on 10th April and now on the leader of opposition and a veteran in politics, Mr. L.K. Advani; throwing shoe as a sign of protest is certainly the most upcoming trend in India.

Indians are well known for following trends, and this is what has happened recently. At press conferences and political campaigns, throwing shoe has emerged as a sign of being aware yet neglected.

Crossing all lines of ethics and morals, Mr. Jarnail Singh, a journalist with the Dainik Jagran started this trend here in India. The trend being followed by many can be contributed to the coverage by the Indian Media. The incident by Jarnail being covered for 24 hours, Jarnail becoming a hero for the Akali’s as well as a number of other protesters and the speculations and the discussions on the same, the fact that nothing happened to the journalist gave many others the courage to commit this unethical act of immorality.

The shoe business will certainly boom after this and the turnover of the shoe industry will reach a record level in the coming years. There might be a new brand of shoes, built specially for the purpose of smashing politicians, bureaucrats, and others.

We might also witness a new phase in political campaigning and debates. The politicians might have to wear armour to protect themselves, or they might even ask the journalists or the audience to come without their shoes on. At a recent press conference Sitaram Yechury was looking at the feet of the Journalists closely and even asked one of them the reason for opening his shoes. (The journalist wanted to comfort himself).

We can either laugh at this or rubbish this. But the fact is that the Indian culture does not promote committing such acts of hooliganism. Flinging shoes at known and senior politicians is certainly unethical and must be dealt with seriously.

Being against someone or protesting is not bad, but the way the protest is carried out must be kept in mind. One must never cross the limits. Their are a number of ways through which we can address a person, but certainly not by throwing a shoe.

This act must be done away with.

Let us know what you feel, post your comments or mail them at [email protected]

FLAG THIS POST