Is Delhi a definite win for Congress?

Posted on May 1, 2009 in Politics at Play

Parul Sabherwal

Now that the time when people of DELHI come to vote for the general elections 2009 in the fourth phase on 7th may 2009 has come, a number of quantitative as well as qualitative analysis’ are being done throughout the country on what would be the result of this important state.

Suddenly the so called ‘aam aadmi’ or by definition the person living in the
‘jhhuggi jhhopri’ areas of Delhi has become very important factor in these elections.
Both the important parties- Congress and BJP are trying to deal with the issues that effect this section of the society.
The top leaders of both the parties whether it is Sonia Gandhi, L.K. Advani, Kapil Sibbal, Arun Jaitley, Rahul Gandhi, or any such leader, is making it a point to visit at least one constituency and promise to solve their problems as soon as they come to power.

Till today Delhi’s progress was measured in terms of developments such as the Metro rail, the air-conditioned buses, increasing number of flyovers, Commonwealth games etc. and not the basic issues and the needs of the people living in these “not so posh” colonies.
Shiela Dixit’s government in the past years has made an effort to understand and then overcome the problems of housing, water supply etc. in these colonies, where almost 50% of Delhi population exists.

It was, in my opinion, the primary reason behind the emphatic win of the congress in the Delhi Assembly elections in December last year.
The development plank on which the Bharatiya Janata Party a.k.a BJP tried to win Delhi has made them learn their lesson by losing the Assembly elections.

The Delhi BJP Chief Mr. O.P. Kohli recently made a very valid statement saying, “despite the claim of the government that the prices have gone down and the inflation rate has declined to 0.26%, the prices of food items have gone up by 17%. Food grains have become costlier by 9.61%, pulses by 8.46%, milk by 6.22%, fruits by 8.02%, even the prices of salt have gone up by 11% and we would advise people of Delhi to vote against such a government.”

Now the attitude of the BJP has also changed, they are also not relying on the middle class voters, traders, shopkeepers etc.
An important trend seen in Delhi is that local issues, more importantly the bread and butter issues are of more importance than national issues like terrorism or national leadership.
In my opinion nobody except the few educated middle class people would accept the fact that only a ‘mazboot neta can provide a nirnayak sarkar’ and only a person with the leadership qualities like Mr.L.K. Advani can help a nation progress.

This trend in Delhi can be easily explained because of the increase in the density of the population living in the slums. Almost about 60% of Delhi’s population consists of members of the Other Backward Classes, Scheduled Caste, Poorvanchalis and Gujjars. In the 2004 general elections the congress won 6 out of the 7 seats where these are the prominent sections. The party only lost the posh South Delhi seat to BJP’s Vijay Kumar
Malhotra, so now the BJP might try to win the votes of the underprivileged.

Muslims and Jats together make up around 22% of the population, and the congress supposedly has the support of these two groups as well.
Punjabis, Sikhs and the government employees form the other major part of the population and their preference is divided amongst the two parties evenly.

BSP, the only party other than the Congress with a considerable influence on this section is emerging as a key player in the Delhi politics. Continuing with its model of social changes, the BSP has put forward 3 Muslim, 2 Brahmins, 1 Gujjar and 1 Schedule Caste candidate.

The congress has a lot of advantage due to the presence of many known faces and the virtual absence of the anti- incumbency factor. But the Sikh agitation, which resulted in the withdrawal of the candidatures of Jagdish Tytler and Sajjan Kumar could effect a little. The issue brought back the memories of the 1984 anti Sikh riots but no charge has been proven as yet.

3 constituencies this time throw some interesting battles and possibilities.

In the West Delhi, the congress decided to put forward a Poorvanchali candidate and 3 an MLA for three terms Mahabal Mishra to take on Jagdish Mukhi of BJP. About 45 % of the population of this region consists of Punjabi Hindus, Sikhs, other urban voters who would definitely vote for the Punjabi himself. Mishra would be surprised if he gets the Jat votes.

Chandani Ckowk has unpredictable prospects. Here, Kapil Sibbal is standing against the Chairman of the standing committee of the MCD Vijendra Gupta of BJP and the people are already blaming Kapil Sibbal for neglecting his constituency.

In the North-East Delhi constituency, the BJP candidate B.L. Sharma Prem is widely known to be a Hindutva ideologist and an RSS member. His ideas of holding drawing room meetings for his campaigning have made him popular amongst the people as well as the media to a very large extent.

One can easily say that though after a 15 year rule of the Congress party in Delhi and the win in the Assembly elections in December clearly showed that Delhi can be called a pro Congress state and the Congress enjoys an edge but the change of strategy by the BJP could definitely throw up some surprises.
It is just a situation of ‘wait and watch’ in Delhi…

BK Chowla

In my opinion,BJP lost the assly elections because of personality issue.It was Malhotra vs Dixit.Malhotra was a wrong choice.However,I do not agree that Dixit Govt has solved some problems.Metro, Flyovers is not the solutrion.Solution is water,electricity for everyone.Ther is no power cut in the VIP areas,how do they manage it?Let us see what happens on the 16th…There may be surprises.

in reference to the comment by BK CHOWLA:
thanx for your comment on the article. i also at the initial stage like u n many people thought that the BJP lost bcz of wrong choice of the CM candidate but actually the point is that none of the piople in our country whether in assembly or in general elections look at the candidate nd vote.
people here vote for the party. it is a long term strategy nd thuinkin of a party that people agree to chose a party nd a lot depends on the family it is bound to happen that if my parents vote fr a perticular party th i too do it.
nd as far as the general elections are concerned the PM candidate is never the issue becoz most of the people dont even know who the candidate is……
and if this was the case then people wud not have accepted manmohan singh as the PM becoz they campaign was throughout done in the name of sonia gandhi.
so in my opinion the candidate is of the least importance….u can put up ur viewz if u disagree i wud b more then happy

Raj chhetri

i m raj chhetri from delhi cantt and i want to join youth congress, and want to something for my area,state and contry and indian congress party as well as youth,so plz suggest me,,,

Hi Raj,

Just visit

You'll find everything there.