End of an Era: King of Pop Passes Away

Posted on June 26, 2009 in Society

Anshul Tewari

The King of Pop and an international entertainer, Michael Jackson passed away on June 25th after being taken to a hospital. The sad demise of this legend was due to cardiac arrest, his autopsy reports to confirm the cause soon. Fans from around the globe wailed to this sad report. Michael, who was 50, had planned his final performance and a tour this July. “The tickets for the concert were sold out within 15 minutes.” said a source.

Michael Jackson, the music icon from Gary, Indiana, was known for his foot tapping songs. Jackson had many No. 1 hits, and his “Thriller” is the best-selling album of all time.
Jackson’s former wife, Lisa Marie Presley, said she was “shocked and saddened” by Jackson’s death. “My heart goes out to his children and his family,” she said. Several people gathered around his house, while some were in deep pain, others paid a tribute to the legend by remembering his music.

Jackson had seen the best and worst in his life, from numerous plastic surgeries, leading to several other problems, to skin cancer and being acquitted for child abuse. Jackson was also declared bankrupt after being burdened by the numerous loans he had to pay off, which he couldn’t. Jackson, a father of three, was extremely close to his family.

As for the world, Jackson had given life to people who loved music. “His song Billie Jean was life to many people.” said a reader.

Back in 1996, Michael had come to India to give his first ever performance in Mumbai. He came not to socialise or to give interviews, but for his Indian fans and did nothing more than the concert. Every person he had met personally was enchanted by his charisma and his down to earth attitude. A few politicians and bollywood stars managed to meet him and were impressed by him.

What made him more popular then was when Michael had arrived at the airport. A convoy of vehicles with flashing lights and wailing sirens rushed Jackson out of the airport. But on the highway, intrigued by the sight of lezim dancers prancing around at the side of the road, he alighted and shook hip, foot and shoulders with them. That act itself, won a special place for him in everybody’s hearts.

After he had gone, when the hotel was preparing his suite for the next VVIP guest, they found Jackson’s gift to them: rather mischievously the great singer had scribbled on the pillow he had slept on, “India, all my life I have longed to see your face. I met you and your people and fell in love with you. Now my heart is filled with sorrow and despair for I have to leave, but I promise I shall return to love you and caress you again. Your kindness has overwhelmed me, your spiritual awareness has moved me, and your children have truly touched my heart. They are the face of God. I truly love and adore you India. Forever, continue to love, heal and educate the children, the future shines on them. You are my special love, India. Forever, may God always bless you.
– Michael Jackson.”

Michael Jackson will always live in our hearts and his music will be celebrated forever. His end is the end of an era. RIP Michael Jackson.

REPORT THIS POST