Homosexuality Legalized…. in India?

Posted on July 4, 2009 in Society, Youth and Sexuality

The Section 377 of Constitution has been amended. Homosexuality has been legalized. This means a lot to LBGT community. The people ‘who defied the conventional bonds’ have now been giving equality in the eyes of law. An epic judgment, truly.

An epic judgment that when a ’modern’ fast forward country like USA’s 6 states have legalized same-sex marriage but a country like India has opened its arms to homosexuality between consenting adults.

A country so narrow minded in places that some people could be living in the ancient ages even now.

A country where it’s legal for a girl over 18 to marry a guy and is supposedly protected by law as they’re of legal age. Yet newly-weds are burnt, tortured and beaten to death when going ‘against the society’.

A country where brides are still set on fire for dowry.

A country where sex before marriage is still a taboo and virginity is not a gift but a duty that a woman is expected to uphold for the man she gets married to.

A country where “dating” is not really accepted by families. People have to hide their love.

A lot of well educated people are opposed to the above ideas too. It’s so prevalent. Everyday a new paper has a tiny bit of news stating that in some part of the country, a man and woman were punished for they defied the society.

What does legalization of homosexuality mean in a country that cannot for a larger part, handle freedom like freedom? A place where injustice still prevails and bribery is not the problem but the solution to all the problems…?

If you say all this burning and torturing happens in the village, then for sure this new amendment of law applies to the villages too. After all they’re a part of India.

Come to the city, interracial couples are frowned upon, “Aunties” and “Uncles” still look at young couples dating and disapprove.

Teenage pregnancy is a fact, not many people are ready to accept.

Indian society can be so incapable of handling freedom.

Let’s compare legalization of homosexuality to legalization of marijuana.

The people who smoke marijuana secretly will do it openly, if it is legalized. The peddlers, who sold the intoxicating drug illegally, will set up shops.

And those people, who had no idea about the popularity of the drug or those who never tried it, will now try it too.

Would legalization of homosexuality mean the same thing?

How many of us repulse the idea that 25 years later, our sons might bring home a boyfriend to introduce to us? How many hiss at the idea?

How many of us are actually shocked and horrified at the amendment of the act? Is this modernization…?

image: http://news.bbc.co.uk

i suppose this furore from the 'liberal' and 'modern' sects of our society at the supposed narrow mindedness of ours needs to be directed at sensitizing the people on the issue rather than jeering over their gloom and frustration post the 377 repeal .
repealing 377 should have been the last step and not the first.
think it over ,intellectually bankrupt young souls!
and if it is so normal, why do most of the homosexuals want to alter their sex (check through all the surveys, if you don't believe it)? it implies challenging nature, right?

1 2 3