Are We On Our Way To The End?

Posted on October 30, 2009 in unEarthed

Anshul Tewari

A few days back, when I picked up a copy of the Times Of India, I was shocked to see a photo of the Pushkar lake. In September 2008, the lake was full of water and surrounded by greenery. Today, after an year, the lake does not have a single drop of water and is a dry barren land.

Many would argue that this was not due to global warming, and maybe it is not, but what about the glaciers that melt away everyday? What about the rain forest depletion? What about the decreasing aquatic life?

Is it too late? Are we still ignoring the fact that global warming could be one of the biggest threats ever to mankind?

The fact is that we have not as yet realized the harm that global warming will have on us.

Now that the Copenhagen Summit is 37 days away, I really hope that something substantial which must be followed by every country shall be the outcome of this forum.

India’s stand at Copenhagen is clear. It is based on the “polluter pays” principle. India makes it clear that what is being negotiated at Copenhagen is not a new international framework for climate change and it is also not a post-Kyoto treaty.

India maintains that what will be negotiated in Copenhagen is fresh emission reduction target for the developed nations along with a second commitment period under the Kyoto Protocol. An Action Plan would enable more effective implementation of the UNFCCC objectives.

image: Kashmiri boats known as shikaras form the number 350, representing what scientists say is the safe upper limit for carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, as they float in formation on Dal Lake in Srinagar, to kick off the International Day of Climate Action about global warming. Similar stunts actions are planned in some 4,000 locations in more than 170 countries across the globe to mark 50 days until world leaders meet in Copenhagen to thrash out a new climate change treaty. source:

The Indian government has finally laid out it's plans for tackling climate change. They still need some debate on the detail, but overall it's a good first step. I'm glad we're finally showing leadership on this issue.

However the US and other developed nations are still playing truant. They are the ones who caused the problem to begin with and now they continue to hide from their responsibility despite great steps taken by developing nations.

We now need to put pressure on developed nations. Let’s get out of our comfort zones and take action.

12 December is the global day of action. I am gonna be there. Please join the movement. It's the revolution of our era.

Please spread the word. It's for our future