Shame Shiv Sena, Shame! A Party Of Goons

Posted on November 20, 2009 in The Opinionated, YKA Editorials

Anshul Tewari

Enough is enough! Are we wearing bangles? A group of 20-25 Shiv Sena activists attacked journalists and damaged property at the offices of IBN7 and IBN Lokmat, the Hindi and Marathi news channels of the IBN Network, in north-east Mumbai’s Vikhroli on Friday.
Now this is the limit. How many doctors, nurses, women, students have been attacked? And by whom? Shiv Sena.

This is not the first time Shiv Sena has done such a thing. Earlier, it has had the track record of attacking students, bringing down hospitals and demobilizing railways.

This is sheer terrorism from within where one cannot speak up. Anyone who tries to speak up is beaten in the most horrific manner possible. Sanjay Raut from the party said that any criticism against Bal Thackerey will not be tolerated. Does this mean that the media cannot criticize a political party?

Journalism is based on the concept of bringing forth the truth. If this is the result then why would someone bring out the reality. I myself, being a journalist, fear that tomorrow if I voice myself against a party breeding goons, I might have to face a life or death situation. My family could be at stake.

What is it with this sick politics? If I am a student from North India does that qualify me to get beaten up? If I can’t speak Marathi, does that qualify me to get beaten up? People are intimidated and afraid. This is one party that has been practicing severe violence since the late 1970’s when Shiv Sena was convicted of India’s first ever political murder.

Is this a form of competitive politics, where first the MNS hits someone and then the Shiv Sena follows or vice versa. Why is the civil society helpless?

When will the people of Maharashtra, rather India, stand up against this violence. Is this the status of India 60+ years after independence. Is this even a democracy?

The law has been lenient, the judiciary has been lenient, the Government has been lenient, and this is why we are facing such a situation today. The party says that this is a spontaneous reaction. What kind of a spontaneous reaction is this? Or is it even a spontaneous reaction. Doesn’t look like one to me.

Why does the Congress not take a strong stand? (It has never ever taken a stand against Shiv Sena or MNS)

Ashok Chavan has said fine words. But will they turn into action? “We had no idea that such a thing was going to happen. Whoever is responsible for this will be severely dealt with. Nobody has the right to assault journalists,” said the Chief Minister.

The police took its very own sweet time to come. The Shiv Sena has created an atmosphere of “Dadagiri Chalegi“, and the Maharashtra Government is just not opposing it.

Today this matter has been highlighted, tomorrow it will be forgotten.

When will India be free from such cheap tactics? There needs to be unity amongst the people, amongst the media. The more things change, the more they remain the same. The story is developing by the minute.

I invite reader comments in the comments section below this article. You can also mail is at [email protected]

Watch the attack video

Featured on BlogAdda at http://blog.blogadda.com/2009/11/21/blogaddas-spicy-saturday-picks-nov-21-09
__________________________________________________________________

Get your free copy of our eBook ‘Tips and Steps on How To Be The Change and Make a Difference’ now. Click here.

Recieve Youth Ki Awaaz news in your inbox. Subscribe now! Click here.

Rahul Kant

awesome article. strong thoughts. loved it. great going youth ki awaaz. you are certainly my awaaz. best.

• Are We Too Tolerant Towards Goon-daism?
  • Headlines Today Office Attacked for Exposing the RSS [POLL INCLUDED] | Youth Ki Awaaz: Mouthpiece for the Youth
  • Justin Saxena

When the thakerays tried to discriminate the rest of india ,the whole rest of india should have beaten them up too.that would have been one heck of a spontaneous reaction as well.
    Its a shame that govt hasn’t been able to stop them or ban them completely.
    They not just try to show dadagiri when they are criticized but also show it over every other thing that happens in this country.
    And they make fool of people who support them by some stupid theories for the nation,and all their supporters let them.
    Thakerays are the people for whom deshbhakti comes by hating pakistan and every foreign culture and even showing hatred for non hindus but when they beat a man from their own country their deshbhakti vanishes.