Din’t Your Mom Tell You About Global Warming?

Posted on December 19, 2009 in Featured, The Opinionated, unEarthed

Anshul Tewari:

Did your mom ever tell you about Global Warming? No? I knew it. Probably that’s why you never talk about it seriously, and perhaps never take the whole issue seriously.

As children we were never informed about what global warming really is. When we turned 15, we heard the term and got to know a little about its meaning and what it actually was. We heard that global warming is heating up the world and making the sea levels rise, melting the glaciers.

But who cares? I am the urban contemporary youth and I have better things in life like talking about “her boyfriend” or “his attitude”. Right? (you know the answer)

When we scream that global warming would bring the world to its end, it seems like a joke. We think that it won’t happen in this life. But we fail to realise that even if it does not happen right now, our future generations will be facing a massacre. They will face a scenario where they will be bound to think about their present, and at that time we will not be able to repent as we would not have enough time to THINK.

We have been thinking, talking and discussing about global warming all along, but without any substantial outcome and understanding of what the real solution is. President Obama reached an agreement with world leaders at the climate conference in Copenhagen to limit global warming to no more than 2 degrees Celsius and to require countries to list their national actions and commitments to achieving emission reduction goals.

Wow! Does that sound like a statement difficult to understand? Of course it will. We barely care to read the newspapers, ask about the issues, ask about things that metter, or ask anything about the things that are changing the environment around us. All we care about is something that is irrelevant to our lives and has no connection whatsoever.

But why such an attitude guys? We have been saying it again and again, it’s high time we voiced ourselves against climate change and made the policy makers realize that people do care. It does matter to us if our forests are burning. It does matter to us if our nation is facing a water crisi due to global warming. It does matter to us if the Pushkar lake has evaporated. It does matter to us if the dirt in Yamuna is contributing to global warming. It does matter to us if the Islands of Tuvalu, once a huge country, is now only 6 meters wide because of the rising sea levels. After all we are the future and we will be the ones deciding for the future generations, what we want to give them, and the areas we want them to suffer in. Let’s not make them handicapped and steal everything from them.

It’s time to act intelligently and think and rethink about our actions which lead to global climate reactions. Probably then we will be in a better position to walk out with flying colours, proudly saying that yes my contribution did save this earth.

If you are still reading this article, you probably are really interested in acting against climate change. So why not start by commenting on this article in the comments section below or dropping us a mail at [email protected], tweeting us @YouthKiAwaaz or probably by joining us.

This was what we had to say. Rest… is up to YOU.
_____________________________________________________

Get your free copy of our eBook ‘Tips and Steps on How To Be The Change and Make a Difference’ now. Click here.

Recieve Youth Ki Awaaz news in your inbox. Subscribe now! Click here.

Supporters: SaveLife Foundation

gurmeet

Anshul,

could you do a bit of research on global warming, say on satellite temperatures-
http://libertynewscentral.blogspot.com/2009/12/lessons-so-simple-that-even.html

before going on to spend some serious time fighting it.You know, that wasted time of your life is never gonna come back.

Anshul Tewari

Thanks gurmeet for your kind suggestions. I read your research work and found it rather interesting.

But this article is not about wasting time. Global warming is a serious concern and the trends can probably relieve us only if the temperatures are sustained through time, a few years or probably more.

Kriti Rathore

i juzz want to ask wt can we do on our parttt???we often end up d topic criticizing d gov,politics,america n oderzz…wt does we do on our partt…if we keep on criticizing den do u think eni solution will cm out..well i think no…

Aakriti Gupta

Hi Anshul,
I realy liked this article, and really feel for this issue strongly.. Its true that the world govts, no matter what the facade has been, have really been doing next to nothing for climate change. It is a grave issue that we are faced with, but the answers to it are not that simple. We all look up to the govt. to initiate change, to do something… I agree taht the Copenhagen summit could’ve been instrumental in turning things around, but it certainly taught us that the major countries just wish to shirk off their responsibilities…
Thus, long way to go still..

As far as Kriti’s question is concerned, I’d mention one point, something I’m planning to write on in a few days, you’ll see the post, it is that the major contributor to world pollution is animal killing and factory farming… Thus, turning vegetarian can be a huge contribution from an individual for our dear Earth. The question is, is anyone willing to make that sacrifice?