Do Long Distance Relationships Ever Work?

Posted on December 31, 2009 in Love, Relationship and Beyond

Rayeesa Tabassum:

Gilbert Parker: Love knows not distance; it hath no continent; its eyes are for the stars.

Long distance relationship or LDR is an intimate relationship between two partners when they are separated by a considerable distance. There has been a rise in the number of LDR’s, thanks to the Internet which has truly succeeded in bridging the gap!

One of the best things about technology is that you can keep in touch with your folks no matter how far they stay. You can chat, skype, share photos, videos and of course email. With cam-to-cam voice chat, it almost feels like the person is in the other room. With Twitter and Facebook status updates you can keep a track of what your partner has been up to. Distance really doesn’t matter these days. Even the STD/ISD calls no longer burn a hole in your pocket with the ever growing mobile competition and a sprung in schemes.

But does distance really matter? Immediately after parting, the partners start missing each other like anything. They stay glued on the phone for several months. They share each and every little thing happening in their lives. But as time passes, the frequency of calls starts to dwindle. Each one starts complaining that the other partner is not calling enough or not returning the calls on time. You begin to hate the waiting. You feel the interest fading from the other side, but you fail to notice that it’s the same from your side too. These things happen, but do you think that this happened because of the Distance Factor?

No, I don’t think so.

As Nancy Friday rightly said, “Separation is not the end of love; it creates love.”

Their relationship would have ended in the same way even if they had been in the same city. The problem in every LDR failure is not the distance but the lack of commitment and love.

In this age of globalization, disjointed families are commonplace. Brothers and sisters live in different countries but does that result in the end of their bonds? No!

Many husbands move to foreign countries for work and visit their families once in a year. So are these families breaking up? No. If all these relationships can work then what is the problem with Long Distance Courtship??

The only thing it indicates is absence of a strong bond, a real tie. “The test of love is not when we are together. It comes when we are not together and realize that despite the distance, love is still there.” ~ Anonymous

But if there is true commitment then there is no reason that LDR’s should not work. In fact, the relationship becomes sweeter as partners start to value each other more and truly realize each other’s importance in their lives and that “special” feeling remains forever. You never take your partner for granted.

As some one rightly said, “Absence does for love what the wind does for a flame: it extinguishes the weak, and feeds the strong.”

So don’t shy away from LDR’s. If circumstances force you to separate then don’t fret. Welcome the move, as LDR’s are the ultimate test for your love, commitment and the stability of your relationship.

What do you think about long distance relationships? Do they reaaly work? Drop in a comment below or mail us at [email protected], you can also tweet us at @YouthKiAwaaz.

Get your free copy of our eBook ‘Tips and Steps on How To Be The Change and Make a Difference’ now. Click here.

Recieve Youth Ki Awaaz news in your inbox. Subscribe now! Click here.

Supporters: SaveLife Foundation

I have been in an LDR since the last two and a half years! It actually started on a long distance note… I knew him since school and we hooked up after i moved to sydney! And I love it! We talk as much as we can (basically everyday), leave messages, send emails, share pics… I am not a very big fan of LDRs but whatever it is…I survived it! Distance does make the heart grow fonder =)
All i know is that at the end of the day…I am going to be with him and spend the rest of my life with him. LDRs can be managed easily… ONLY if each of the partners want it!

Akshat Rathi

Well written, it is necessary that each partner is completely committed to the relationship. I’ve had my share of LDR and will be ready for another one but only after a lot of thought.

It’s very easy to say all this.. There are very few brave people like gargi (hey gargi, wassup? :) ) who sustain it..
Honestly in today’s lifestyle and stuff, and at the rate people are jumping into LDRs at early ages with OMG what not dreams, it’s not easy.
But, yes, if there’s a will there’s a way. Well written, Like your optimism :)

I feel its very rare, that a LSD ever worksout between two people, I agree the Technology is there to build gaps virtually, but with time passing by the two people involved get more engaged in their own lives and also tend to take each other for granted.