Youth Brigade: Kya Hai Youngistaan Meri Jaan?

Posted on December 9, 2009 in Society

Anshul Tewari:

Ye Hai Youngistaan Meri Jaan! But what is this youngistaan? Youth Ki Awaaz finds out. We surveyed 50 youngsters (25 male and 25 female) and came to know that youngistaan is innovative, indulging, carefree, career oriented, and a lot more. They care and are not afraid to show it. Candle light vigils, SMS campaigns, protest marches. They are discovering that if there is a will, there are many ways.

They are Ulysses all, sailing beyond conventional notions of leisure. This generation has the power of choice, and they are only just discovering its flavour.

For them it is more profession than job. And the scene improves as others make professions out of vacations. They are discovering that you can be ‘at home’ at work.

They pray but wouldn’t dream of killing for religion. Casual relationships are okay, but happily-ever-after still makes sense. Career comes first and they can’t live without the Net. The myraid voices of Young India…

Would you kill for your religion?

Yes, any day 7

Never 68

If attacked 25
How often do you pray?
At least once a day 34

Once a week 30

major festivals 24

never 12

Is it ok to marry outside your religion?

Yes, of course 40

No 26

would depend on the situation 34

Is it ok to marry outside your caste

Yes, sure 47

Never 23

May be a worth trying 30

Do you believe in one-night stands?

Yes, it’s safe 38

Nah, not for me 45

Don’t really know 17

Do you believe in marriage as an institution?

Of course 41

No 32

Don’t know 27

If your partner cheated on you, you would:

Look the other way for the sake of the relationship 51

Kill him/her 21

Go ahead and cheat in a retaliation 28

How old were you when you first had sex?

Under 18 22

Still waiting 51

Under 25 27

Do you think it is necessary for girls/boys to stay virgin till marriage?

Yes, both girls and boys 39

No, only girls 25

Neither, why wait 36

Do you read/watch pornography?

Yes 62

Not any more 13

never 25

The surveys on VALUES, POLITICS and the INTERNET were not Q&A based. These were analysis based questions and the results were as follows:

VALUES: They rate their career above parents and spouse comes last. Charity is a feel-good thing and joint family is anathemia. And they still think their education was all right.

POLITICS: They have an opinion after all, especially after 26/11 and are now ready to excercise their rights.

INTERNET: They cannot live without the net but still haven’t championed the web.

This survey is purely based on the answers given by the sample size of 50 volunteers from Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkatta, Hyderabad and other areas.

The analysis of the survey tells us much more than what has been published above. We will come forward with all the details in our other parts of the series ‘Youth Brigade’

source: HT29.2.2008YI

Get your free copy of our eBook ‘Tips and Steps on How To Be The Change and Make a Difference’ now. Click here.

Recieve Youth Ki Awaaz news in your inbox. Subscribe now! Click here.

Supporter: SaveLife Foundation