A Wish List by the Youth for the Government

Posted on January 24, 2010 in Society, Youth Affairs

Ishleen Kaur:

Is our government one that is of the people, by the people and for the people?

It appears to me that our government (in the present times and situations) can also be defined as a body off the people, buy the people and fraud the people.

With these thoughts, I went in search of what today’s youth wish from our government in order to define it as we used to, earlier.

Wishlist:

* Education: For India to be a developed nation, education is the key. Education should be provided to all. A bill has been already passed by both Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha termed as The Education Bill, stating that education should be free and compulsory for all children aged between six and fourteen years. But what is really concerning is that we can find children working instead of studying at every crossroad.

* Traffic Pollution: Traffic Pollution is one of the major issues that need an immediate attention. Everyday roads are becoming more and more jam-packed; eating a large part of the invaluable time of people stuck in those jams. Government should promote use of public transportation. Though steps have been initiated but they still need some changes like bringing down the fares (and not raising them all the more) and frequent availability.

* Starvation: A nation that is the seventh largest in terms of land area and where more than sixty percent of the population works for agriculture; deaths because of starvation are reported. Not only is it ironical but also very unfortunate. Governments of various states have a very narrow view about this. They don’t acknowledge this as a major issue. Between the years 2000-2003 alone, 441 deaths due to starvation were reported in Orissa. Government should take immediate steps as we are not only loosing humans but the very hands that feed us.

* Women’s rights: The Women Reservation Bill was initiated in 1996 but unfortunately is still dwindling in between politics of power control. This bill provides 33.3 percent reservations for women in national, state and local governments. If the government really believes in social welfare, it should look upon this as a major step in building a socially balanced and equal nation.

* Judiciary: If seen this way, on July 2000, the number cases pending in Supreme Court were 21600 and in High court and today this number is 34 lakhs which is alarming. Government needs to take immediate action otherwise as it is a sensitive issue, it involves the faith of its citizens on its system. Fast track courts which was a step towards it involved cases of only corporate sector. The efficacy of these is also an issue.

* Human resource: India with a population that is growing every second and major part of population being youth can be said to be in its golden period. But besides having the most invaluable resource(the youth) in its court, India has not witnessed an incredible change of development yet. For this, the government needs to catch the youth of unsung lanes of India.

* Transparency: Transparency is required in all activities of condyuted and carried out by the government. Like elections, situations have been improved with the introduction of EVMs but there are other important aspects too, like judiciary. The Judiciary needs to be transparent to keep the faith of people in times when bribing corrupt officials seems as the only quick and efficient solution to all problems.

* Sports: All sports should be given their due importance at all levels. In schools proper infrastructure and coaches should be provided to students. There should be absolute transparency in selection of national teams. Sports stars like Sania Mirza who stopped appearing in tennis tournaments (year 2008 onwards) in India; following the innumerable controversies she had to face regarding her clothes, etc simply says that Indian sportspersons should get support from the government and Indian Sports need reforms. Hope the government will take sports more seriously.

Above was a probable wish list by youth; stating what we expect for the nation from the government because we still believe that our ‘Government is – of the people, by the people and for the people.’