EXCLUSIVE: Psychology Of A Rapist: The Deadliest Sinner

Posted on January 5, 2010 in Featured, Society

Monadhika Sharma:

The moment this topic was given to me, I tried to think of a sympathetic viewpoint for the culprit assuming that rapists have a bitter childhood and do not realize the gravity of their crime. I tried my level best to empathize with them presuming they suffer from a traumatic mental condition that culminates in the form of rape. But I couldn’t justify myself. Nor could the statistics.

Not all rapists are mentally ill. And not all of them have a painful childhood buried underneath the piles of myriad episodes of sexual abuse that they themselves had undergone. Even if they do, they cannot and should not be pardoned for such a heinous crime as rape. Rape is defined as a form of assault where one individual forces another to have sexual intercourse against that person’s will. Most experts believe the primary cause of rape is an aggressive desire to dominate the victim rather than an attempt to achieve sexual fulfillment. They consider rape an act of violence rather than principally a sexual encounter. Research states that some men do not ejaculate during rape. This proves that whatever is driving this section of men to rape is more than the sexual drive. In one of the interview of the rapists, they say that, “We rape women who need to be disciplined. They do not want to talk to most people. They think they know better than most of us”.

On an average, a woman is raped every hour in the country. Only one in 70 cases gets reported, a dazing and damnatory statistic. Only 20 % of those reported result in convictions for the rape accused. If I include sexual assault since it was anyway an attempted rape, the statistics would become more abominable.

A study revealed that child sexual abuse in India begins as early as five, ratchets up dramatically during pre-pubescence and peaks at 12 to 16 years. Some 21 percent of respondents acknowledged experiencing severe sexual abuse like sodomy, fondling or exposure to pornographic material, etc. If rape and sexual abuse are indeed so rampant, the logical conclusion should be that every second man you come across can be assumed to be mentally ill. Or that an average sane man is quite capable of committing rape.

Serial rapist and killer Ted Bundy who was accused of killing many women after raping them confessed this a day before his execution, “I grew up in a wonderful home with two dedicated and loving parents, and one of five brothers and sisters. A home where we, as children, were the focus of my parents’ lives, where we regularly attended church; two Christian parents who did not drink, they did not smoke, there was no gambling, there was no physical abuse, or fighting in the home.” So he grew up without any sexual, physical or emotional abuse. The culprit in his case was watching violent pornographic movies since an early age. He got fascinated with the idea of sexually overpowering a woman. “The most damaging kinds of pornography are those that involve violence, sexual violence, because the wedding of those two forces, as I know only too well, brings about behavior that is just too terrible to describe.”, he confesses. Ted Bundy was sentenced to death for 28 murders of women and young girls. He was executed on January 24, 1989, by electrocution in Starke Prison, Florida, U.S.A

We cannot attribute the cause of rape to just one explanation. And its definitely not just sexual gratification. First type is anger rape. The aim of this rapist is to humiliate and bruise his victim; he expresses his contempt for his victim through physical violence and profane language. For these rapists, sex is a weapon to tarnish and degrade the victim.

The second type has a thin line of difference- it is the power rape. For these rapists, sexuality becomes a way to compensate for their underlying feelings of inadequacy and feeds their issues of control, strength, authority and capability.

Another type is the ‘sadistic rape’ where excitement is associated with the inflicting of pain upon his victim. The offender finds the intentional maltreatment of his victim intensely gratifying and takes pleasure in the victim’s torment, anguish, distress, helplessness, and suffering. This rapist is intensely tempted by the idea of sadomasochism form of sex.

In a nutshell, a man is capable of raping when he ceases to see the woman as a human being and rather as an object of desire. She is just a body for him who will quench the thirst of his ego or sexual fulfillment. Ted Bundy’s parents probably forgot to teach him that a woman too is a living being who deserves respect, who feels agony when hurt and ignominy when she is savagely ripped off her most treasured ornament- dignity. If every man can see a woman as a person first and not just a mere object, women will cease to be raped at every nook and corner of our country- sometimes at the tip of a knife or just the corner of an eye.

What do you feel? Drop in a comment below or mail us at [email protected], you can also tweet us at @YouthKiAwaaz.

The writer is a Delhi based Correspondent at Youth Ki Awaaz and also a student of Computer Engineering at the Netaji Subhas Institute of Technology.

image: http://www.youthnoise.com/page.php?page_id=2620

Get your free copy of our eBook ‘Tips and Steps on How To Be The Change and Make a Difference’ now. Click here.

Recieve Youth Ki Awaaz news in your inbox. Subscribe now! Click here.

Supporters: SaveLife Foundation

rose macaskie

youthKiAwaaz, You say that they have to respect women. They probably say they do, as far as a woman needs respect, does your donkey need as much respecct as your king? If my rights stop were they infringe on yours, then you will find some men have enormouse rights and you are always infringing on themthey respect you but you dont nhave many rihgts and they punish you if you infringe on theirs. It is hard to describe what respect for another is, you have to find out what it is for each person and then correct their veiw of it when necessary you mihgt come near to teaching respect. They dont realise that they have made a big difference between themselves and others not a small one and though people are given t tremendoulsy undrrating those around them people still insist on the importance of seeing how different we are, an idea that helps people despise each other. I agree with the first posting that of monadhika, it is because men are bought up to see themselves as so much better than women, which they hide, even silly men with less education think they are better than you if you are a woman that they rape. I dont understand how it leads them to be so violent but it does. Here in Spain tmenyou meet are verbal violent in a sexual way to stop you going out too much. I heard of the same about Africa, men rape women so they learn not to go out walking at night in the same way you hit a child lightly for behavior you don’t approve of. rose macaskie.

rose macaskie

Can you believe what people say the day before their execution, it is a moment when they might be very cross and want to mislead those around them. The only way they have to spit on those around them is to mislead them, it is the only power they have. If you know pschologists then you hear their theories if only by guessing from their coments and may decide either to say what they expected or anything else but not necessarily to talk the truth.

Amit Bhatia

Your article is very relevant in today’s situation.

• Jihad: The All Purpose Word (Sex Included!)
  • Rimjhim Vasher

i believe that parenting has a major role in birth of a rapist. Our patriarchal society has tricked men in believing that a woman is something to satisfy him, serve him and be submissive to him. All this is supported by parents who would constantly ask the girl child to sacrifice even smallest of things for her brother. The boy child grows up thinking that he’s here to dominate her and use her. He believes that he is superior to all the female just ’cause he is born a male. yes, this is where we fucked up, we as a society have failed to give women the place they deserve, a place that is already theirs,. It’s a shame that she has to demand for what is hers, fight for what she has the right to, being a person. She is a person, a whole individual with feelings, emotions, choices, wishes and opinions. we can’t take the right to be treated like a person from her, we can’t snatch her life away from her. She is not here to serve the ” men”, she’s here to be whoever and whatever she wants to be , the way she wants to be, period.

1 2