The Idiotic Sensationalism

Posted on January 2, 2010 in Featured, YKA Editorials

Akshat Rathi:

My congratulations to Aamir Khan, Rajkumar Hirani and Vidhu Vinod Chopra on making a great movie. I believe that the message needs to be delivered to the parents more than to the youth. I also extend my sympathies to Chetan Bhagat and believe that the author should have been duly credited. But that is not my final take on the controversy.

I must confess that when the world started tweeting about the controversy, I thought it’s one of those ‘get-publicity-while-you-can’ stunt. Even though I thought it would be a waste of time to spend time keeping up with tweets, I hung around just to be amused by the fakingnews tweets. To my surprise I found the whole exercise quite worth the time investment as it was a learning experience. The debate on who should be given the credit, the man behind the original idea or the man who put the efforts to make it a much better idea, should not last very long. Both deserve enough credit.

From a third person perspective, I am in complete agreement with Vir Sanghvi that Vidhu Vinod Chopra lacked grace in handling the situation. But looking at the nitty-gritty of the story and seeing Chetan Bhagat flip completely on the issue made me think that maybe there is more to the issue than just this. After reading quite a bit about it and seeing the news channels do what they do best, make such a sensation out of a controversial issue, I believe that Chetan Bhagat’s perfectly reasonable solution should be honoured.

I don’t think that this marks the end of this sensation. While everyone is in awe of the movie, IBN Live Journalist Sagarika Ghose has a written a negative take on the movie. She thinks that movie ‘legitimises scorn and hatred of education, sanctions wilful dumbing down’ and will make us a ‘nation of idiots’. When does Aamir Khan say that leave schools and stop studying? All he says is that dare to follow your passion, get the right education and skills to fulfill your dream. And when has it been shown in the movie that the students have been able to get away after committing serious offenses? They have had to make up for it every time by doing something worthy of keeping them in the institute.

The movie is based on Five Point Someone which was written by Chetan Bhagat with some reference to his own experiences of the IITs in the 1990s. After 20 years, if the 3 Idiots has struck chord with the sentiments of the current students, then not much has changed in the education system since then, has it? We must realise that the same evils still exist in the education system and it is time we do something concrete about them and that is what the message of the movie is. It is not a movie that ‘trivializes our higher education system’ instead it speaks of the importance of higher education in developing a person.

The movie is not going to stop students from appearing for the IIT-JEE or CAT and is in no way going to ‘allow standards in our centers of excellence to be lowered’. Instead, what it might do to is help students take up the scholarship only if they have the true passion for it. Yes, we may need more doctors and engineers in the coming decade to keep up the pace of our development, but we certainly don’t want angry doctors and frustrated engineers doing jobs they do not enjoy doing.

Ms Ghose seems to forget that she (and I) is part of the 1% of students who represent the whole country. They are the students who have got education from these centers of excellence. 99% students who graduate don’t get quality education and do not have the employability skills that a graduate student must have. There is far too much to do about the system and the movie tries to highlight that. I don’t think that it is going to affect the mindset of rational people and make them ‘engage in an escapist fantasy and convince ourselves that education does not matter’. If one movie can cause such a tide then Munnabhai’s show of Gandhigiri should have stopped all crime in India.

It is a movie after all. It is meant to give a message masked in light-hearted entertainment. If I know anything about entertainment, I know that people don’t get entertained by normal things. They need something extra-ordinary and for that exaggeration needs to be used skillfully. I think 3 Idiots has a done a fantastic job at that and has managed to put across an important message to the Indian society.

So what do you think? Drop in a comment below or mail us at [email protected], you can also tweet us at @YouthKiAwaaz.

image: http://www.glamsham.com/movies/features/

The writer is the London correspondent at Youth Ki Awaaz. He is also the Oxford University Ambassador for the Voice of Young Science, a Sense about Science initiative.

_______________________________________________

Get your free copy of our eBook ‘Tips and Steps on How To Be The Change and Make a Difference’ now. Click here.

Recieve Youth Ki Awaaz news in your inbox. Subscribe now! Click here.

Supporters: SaveLife Foundation

Youth Ki Awaaz presents perspectives from the youth and not research papers. This is not a news website but a platform for young writers to express themselves. However, we welcome all feedback and suggestions and thank you for taking out the time to voice yourself on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Azneo

@ Monadhika: Thank you for your comment. I would greatly appreciate if you would give a few more details on why you found it rather incomplete? I wanted to concentrate on Mrs. Ghose's article because much had been written abt the controversy. When I started writing the piece Vir Sanghvi was still to publish his Counterpoint. By the time I completed it, the piece was published and quite a lot of my points would only have been repetition, hence the change in focus.

On your comment abt the controversy, I agree with your points. What difference would it have made to them to put his name in the beginning of the movie?

• The Imprudence of the Youth
  • 1 2 3