Kumar Ankit:

Irfan Alam popularly known as the “rickshaw man of Bihar” is the man to be talked about. He has been invited to participate in the entrepreneur summit called by none other than US president Obama, the summit will be held in April this year and Irfan Alam will represent India.

After reading the above news you all must be thinking that the person I am talking about must be a great business tycoon, a great industrialist etc. but that’s not the case.

Let me tell you this man from Begusarai and an IIM Ahmedabad product is the Chairman of Sammaan Foundation, which works for uplifting the living and working standards of poor rickshaw wallas. After completing his education he could have earned a lot by taking up a job as a manager in any good company but he started Sammaan in 2007 with around 100 rickshaws and today he has around 3 lakh pullers registered under him. Sammaan is active in seven states and still growing. The states are Bihar, Jharkhand, Delhi, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Haryana and Uttar Pradesh. He wants to cover 10 million rickshaw pullers, who in search of employment come to cities and start pulling rickshaws. He wants to uplift the condition of these poor fellows.

His idea was to systematize the working of all rickshaw pullers by bringing them under one roof. According to him, in India there are unions for everyone except rickshaw pullers, so he took their cause and modernized rickshaw pulling sector (rickshaw pullers comprise 30% in urban transport). His efforts bared fruit and rickshaw pullers started to earn more due to his efforts.

Irfan Alam provides them with the following services –

1. He offered them rickshaw at a nominal rent (Rs. 10 -20 depending upon cities). Earlier these pullers used to pull hired rickshaw for Rs 50 per day. Now by paying a nominal amount they started saving a large amount.

2. He got banks to offer them loans, initially he invested 10 lakh rupees to start this and as he became popular, funds started to flow. As pullers started to earn more they are now in a position to pay their installments.

3. He designed new rickshaws which have shelves which can carry newspaper, mineral water, and other small items for sale such as mobile recharge coupons, courier collections, bill collections and payments, etc. To make the ride more comfortable and entertaining he provided them with music, magazine, first aid kits and thus transformed this into a marketing engine.

4. He provided rickshaws with advertisement. He designed the rickshaw in such a way that it provided ample space for ads. The revenue of which is divided equally between the puller and Sammaan. This adds to the income of the rickshaw puller who earns from ads and the sales.

5. For purpose of designing, he established a fully fledged R&D center in Patna, for this purpose he has employed 3 engineers and more than 15 workers who work so as to bring innovation in rickshaw models so that they become more profitable and user friendly.

6. Besides these benefits Sammaan provides free uniform to all registered pullers, and a saving banks account from the day they are registered.

7. They cover accidental insurance amounting to Rs 1 lakh to pullers and the commuters.

8. Provides books to their children and conducts evening classes for pullers and their children under the social program “Sammaan Gyaan”.

9. Gives training in occupational skills to the wifes of operators, such as embroidery, stitching and tailoring.

10. They share a part of the income earned through value added services with the pullers, thus maintaining ethics.

Now with his hard work and dedication this 30 year old, young entrepreneur has showed the world that if you have vision, you can achieve the unachievable. Now as he is reaching heights his clients are also increasing and big names such as Punjab National Bank (PNB), HT, Bisleri, Bharti Airtel, Dena bank etc are joining his corporate social sustainability model.

His next plan is to register all rickshaw wallas across the country under Sammaan, providing new and improvised rickshaw to all, currently only 10,000 rickshaw pullers have special Sammaan rickshaws. With the help of PNB he is providing low cost housing for rickshaw pullers for 1.5 lakhs, carbon trading opportunities and a public offer by 2012.

The company has 400 percent growth this year and with Irfan visiting Washington; his corporate social sustainability venture will definitely become more popular and hence the effect on its turnover.

We salute this youth icon, in a true sense.

The writer is an editor at Youth Ki Awaaz.

Harvey Specter
Posted at 11:42 am July 22, 2014
ajeet rai
Reply
Author

hi,
my name is ajeet i am a student of ca final i join the ngo to work for humanity cause.

Harvey Specter
Posted at 10:50 pm June 22, 2014
ashish kumar
Reply
Author

I am a student of NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF FASHION TECHNOLOGY,New Delhi. I am good in material exploration, designing, painting ,sketching, product development,e.t.c. I want to work with you.
thankyou.

Harvey Specter
Posted at 7:54 pm June 16, 2014
Anviti Pandey
Reply
Author

wat u did is awesome nd i really want to join ur NGO. i have done MSW nd want to do social work. plz do reply

Harvey Specter
Posted at 8:01 pm June 13, 2014
supreet
Reply
Author

It is really a great ngo and I really liked ur post I want to join this ngo and I am one of the volunteer and really want to do something fot the welfare of the society

Harvey Specter
Posted at 6:16 pm May 29, 2014
ramakriishna
Reply
Author

Hi,
I want to join ngo to do great work & get a internal satisfaction. I stays at Hyderabad.

Harvey Specter
Posted at 11:49 am May 19, 2014
Rajbala Sharma
Reply
Author

I want to join this NGO and serve the people . I am a BJP member.
Please inform me about, how can I join this NGO?

Harvey Specter
Posted at 4:10 pm March 2, 2014
Siddharth Baloni
Reply
Author

Hello I, am Siddharth Baloni, Production Coordinator in a company in Mohali i want to join your organization and help people .

Harvey Specter
Posted at 12:45 pm February 12, 2014
Laxmi Pandey
Reply
Author

Doing a very good Job

Harvey Specter
Posted at 5:19 pm December 4, 2013
Archana chauhan
Reply
Author

Hiiiii u are duing a vry grt job n i realy would like to work with ngos..i also did a tv journalism and wana join u

Harvey Specter
Posted at 12:05 pm November 28, 2013
Tanusree Biswas
Reply
Author

I’m M.A. in sociology… i heartily want to work in this NGO and provide some good service for the needy people of the society… It will be kind enough if this organisation provide me a chance to work for the people…

Harvey Specter
    Posted at 12:32 pm May 22, 2014
    Saroj Yadav
    Reply
    Author

Tanushree ji apko koi reply mila h NGOs ki taraf se ?

Harvey Specter
Posted at 11:41 am September 27, 2013
Bhawana Goswami
Reply
Author

i want to work with u because i want to do something for my country

Harvey Specter
Posted at 9:42 pm September 1, 2013
hari
Reply
Author

very intersting

Harvey Specter
Posted at 8:31 pm July 30, 2013
SHEHZAD KHAN
Reply
Author

Truely…… a man with a vision
go ahead no one knows how far you will go…..
great job

Harvey Specter
Posted at 3:57 pm July 14, 2013
Madhurima
Reply
Author

Dear Irfan,
First of all let me shower my all blessings on you.I cannot express my feelings that how happy i felt when i read about your great contributions for these hardworking ricshawpullars.Really I salute u for this contribution.I am myself a 63 years lady , who has given accomodation to two ricshaw-pullars in my house and i know their problems. For the last so many years iwas also thinking on this venture but could not do it. Iwill be very thankful to you ,if you can guide me.once again I pray to Lord that He may give more strength to contribute more to our land.
Madhurima (Lect (EX) H. M. V College , Jalandher,132 ,A New Jawaher Nagar

Harvey Specter
Posted at 7:37 pm July 11, 2013
Mukesh K. Sharma
Reply
Author

Respected Sir,
I, Mukesh K. Sharma, Advocate at Punjab and Haryana High Court, Chandigarh offer myself for the cause of release of helpless convicts lying in jail by joining your organisation. Kindly contact me if you think it apt.

Harvey Specter
Posted at 6:30 am May 10, 2013
MNH :)
Reply
Author

This is an amazing idea. :) I came upon this while looking for a NGO to report on and ended up learning a lot more about conditions of rickshaw pullers in India. Great job, Irfan Alam!

Harvey Specter
Posted at 8:41 pm April 18, 2013
Ranhita P Singh
Reply
Author

Where is this organisation located?

Harvey Specter
Posted at 6:15 pm April 5, 2013
kamal keswani
Reply
Author

well done, keep it up. If there is some help required i can render at gurgaon.

Harvey Specter
Posted at 8:41 am March 9, 2013
diwan singh khadka
Reply
Author

Inspiring venture undertaken by him.It is the will and vision that can take the individual to attain his goal and help others in their livelihood.

Harvey Specter
Posted at 11:54 pm January 14, 2013
Murali
Reply
Author

Good work , he should be a model for other youths to follow..

Harvey Specter
Posted at 10:42 am October 24, 2012
Domain2register
Reply
Author

Good work Mr.Irfan. Proud to be an indian. I also do my best to help NGOs through designing websites for them at a very low cost because in this Internet Era, it is the website that explores an NGO.If you need a website of if you have any IT related queries please call me at +91-9003879643.Thanks!!

Harvey Specter
Posted at 4:23 pm September 4, 2012
niraj
Reply
Author

A great Inspiring person for youth .I salute u

Harvey Specter
Posted at 9:27 am August 20, 2012
sandip
Reply
Author

Very good work , Creates employment, security, helps poor & needy to earn, & live with samman, keep it up,

Harvey Specter
Posted at 1:40 pm July 22, 2012
jay
Reply
Author

Hey its a really great job in the corrupted country.

Harvey Specter
Posted at 2:19 pm July 17, 2012
Akansha
Reply
Author

It is a nation wide problem how the schools are indulged into
corruption, the reputed Delhi school Maharaja Agrasen harassing a school
teacher and not obeying the High Court Orders. Family is under hostile
conditions , struggling with financial crisis.Please help her get the
rights and save her life.

Harvey Specter
Posted at 9:09 pm July 11, 2012
nakul muley
Reply
Author

HATS OFF TO YOU IRFAN ,GREAT JOB!!!

Harvey Specter
Posted at 6:55 pm April 30, 2012
Mohsin Ahmad
Reply
Author

dear irfan
you r doing such a lovely work……………..great work irfan……………we proud of you……………..acctully i m also planning to run an ngo for those who cant bear school fees and other expenses……………………… 

Harvey Specter
Posted at 4:37 pm April 17, 2012
Tushar
Reply
Author

Ankit its an huge symble of Good thinking for well being of human.

Tushar
Bangladesh

Harvey Specter
Posted at 3:57 pm January 17, 2012
OSCAR CHINAKA
Reply
Author

My self having lived in India for like 6years, studied, worked and married there with no bad records of misbehavior in anyway, i have couple of india friends in the police and other sectors during my stay. On my arrival here in my country (Nigeria) I discovered that we have thousands of good indians working and living peacefully in here that can serve as an eye witness of the situation in my country. I equally know and believe that most Nigeria youths out there in India looking for their green fortune are finally indulging into one illegal activity or the other. Reason for is best known to them and to those good Indians residing in Nigeria. Nigeria government needs to amend their leadership system giving and rendering service of why they were voted not pushing and creating rooms for such criminal mind in the life of our great youths. I seek the help of this organization on what to do, how you can come in establishing your NGO here in Nigeria for charity in any kind. I’m ready to welcome such good work you’ve doing in India here in Nigeria. Thank you..

Harvey Specter
    Posted at 12:59 pm November 22, 2013
    abhinav
    Reply
    Author

I have something which can help you its an NGO which is more interactive for youth..

Harvey Specter
Posted at 8:19 pm November 30, 2011
anil sharma
Reply
Author

ankit very nice

Harvey Specter
Posted at 6:45 pm November 27, 2011
Raviraj
Reply
Author

Great Work- Irfan Alam

Harvey Specter
Posted at 6:24 pm October 24, 2011
manoj kumar
Reply
Author

fantastically,the work is admirable in the current globlized world.entrepreneurship is the best alternate option in recent competative world.e.g-in the case of india as we know that the problem of manskilled power.i relize that the gov. should focus on such type of training that motivates the students to become enterpreneur for the betterment for themselves,soceity,nation.the articles gives a ray of hope for soceity and inspired to do something for the soceity.

Harvey Specter
Posted at 3:03 pm July 13, 2011
Mithlesh Kumar
Reply
Author

I personally congratulates him for his innovative Idea & a new move for upliftment of the living standard of richshaw puller.
Wishing him all the best !!!

Harvey Specter
Posted at 1:05 pm May 15, 2011
Kushal Ashok
Reply
Author

Awesome. I like the ideas. God bless him!

Harvey Specter
Posted at 7:43 am April 19, 2011
Affan Kamil
Reply
Author

Hats off to this great son of India

Harvey Specter
Posted at 1:04 am May 20, 2010
Irfan Alam
Reply
Author

Dear Friends,

First of all I would like to thank all of you. You people are real motivation for entrepreneurs like us.

Seeing your comments and compliments makes us more responsible.

Thanks for shoowing faith in us.

Dear Pranav,

Plz write me at – [email protected]

Best regards,

Irfan Alam
SammaaN

Harvey Specter
Posted at 4:31 pm March 25, 2010
pranava
Reply
Author

sir i m pranava iwant to meet u because i have a project for samman

Harvey Specter
    Posted at 9:23 pm March 25, 2010
    YouthKiAwaaz
    Reply
    Author

Hi Pranava,

You must contact Samman foundation at http://samman.org/ and let them know about your plan. Thanks anyways for commenting. Do keep yourself updated.

YouthKiAwaaz.com

Harvey Specter
Posted at 10:19 am March 19, 2010
Anitha
Reply
Author

Interesting news. Such a gr8 person with innovative ideas – hats off to Irfan Alam!

Harvey Specter
Posted at 6:23 pm March 2, 2010
vinit sharma
Reply
Author

True, he is an inspiration for all…

Harvey Specter
Posted at 3:41 pm March 1, 2010
YouthKiAwaaz
Reply
Author

Great guy :) such people are the young turks who will take India forward.

Harvey Specter
Posted at 9:32 am February 28, 2010
Parul Sabherwal
Reply
Author

Hey,

A very inspiring man to be read about…I really feel that it would have been great if even 1/4th of the people our country would have thought this way. All the best Irfan Alam and all the best SAMMAN.

Harvey Specter
Posted at 3:23 am February 27, 2010
kritarth singh
Reply
Author

Hats off to this great son of Bihar…

Harvey Specter
Posted at 11:12 am February 26, 2010
Saakshi
Reply
Author

It is very inspiring to read about someone who has made such basic, yet life changing contribution.

Harvey Specter
Posted at 2:13 am February 26, 2010
suraj
Reply
Author

really he is grt man………
we must salute him coz he could become one f d grt manager f MNC bt he prooved that”NOTHING IS BIGGER THAN HUMANITY”.
he IS D REAL HERO F INDIA …..

Harvey Specter
Posted at 2:10 am February 26, 2010
pratik kumar
Reply
Author

Great job, we need more enterpreneurs like him.