Rang Mahal: A Must Visit

Posted on February 1, 2010 in Travel

Anushri Mondal:

Himachal Pradesh is a tiny hill station that is a tourist attraction during the summers when people from the plains flock to this place to escape the scorching heat and humidity and have a refreshing, cool experience. The significant tourist spots present in the state include Lord Elgin’ Memorial, Maharaja’s Palace, Padam palace, Rang Mahal, Tabo Monastery and Viceregal Lodge.

Situated in Surara Mohalla in the state of the hilly Himachal Pradesh, Rang Mahal is a popular tourist destination, famous not only for its beauty but also for its historical relevance. The foundation stone of Rang Mahal was laid down by king Umed Shah during mid 18th century. It was a crude structure which was later developed by Raj Shri Singh among many other kings of the same dynasty. These kings were responsible for the renovation of the palaces and made it as beautiful as it appears today, to the eyes of the perceivers.

The Rang Mahal was built keeping two aims in mind: the accommodation of the royal king and to use it as a warehouse meant for the storage of grains and other materials. During the days of its inception, Rang Mahal served as the primary place for several royal activities. After the fall of royalty, the place passed into the hands of the Government of India. At the present stage, the Mahal is used by the department of Handicraft for the sale and display of various artistic products such as shoes, slippers, etc. All the pieces and elements related to royal heritage present within the palace have been carefully removed under the supervision of the Government and are now placed in different museums for its preservation.

One of the most significant aspects of the Rang Mahal, something that attracts visitors in hundreds and thousands, is its small paintings. These wall paintings belong to the Kangra School and are extensive in their representation of the tales related to Lord Krishna. These paintings are one of the prized possessions of the Himachal hills. The doors of the Rang Mahal are intricately carved and painted with patterns in a style of variety. This feature of the palace is also worth laying ones eyes on.

Two functional institutions t exist within the premises of the Mahal. One is a college and the other is an emporium. The emporium is of vital importance as it displays the artistic work created by the local women of the place. The unique aspect of this embroidery designed by hands of the women of the hilly areas is that it is an age old craft, started thousands of years ago.The embroidery is made on pieces of handkerchiefs, giving the handkerchiefs a unique and creative appearance. The material used for these handkerchiefs is silk, making them an extraordinary piece of possession for buyers.

One can visit the emporium from 10A.M to 1.P.M and also from 2.P.M.to 5 .P.M from Monday to Saturday.

FLAG THIS POST