Youth and Politics: A Dream?

Posted on February 18, 2010 in Politics at Play, Youth Affairs

Ruchik Gandhi:

I have a dream that India lives up to its name for rich culture and exotic diversity, where Indians are treated with consideration of their character and not their caste. I have a dream. Where, the states join hands and work towards the
development of the nation, irrespective of the party at centre. Where, the parliament becomes synonymous to solid plans and rapid actions.

I have a dream.

Where, the government spends more time governing and less time justifying. Where, the opposition spends more time serving and improving and less time criticizing. I have a dream that the citizens take out time to vote for the worthy instead of mocking the politicians. Where leaders are elected and politicians are evaded.

I have a dream that India is led by the Youth. The future of tomorrow become the leaders of tomorrow. But, this dream seems to be simply a dream, at least for some decades from now. For now, India continues to be led by the same traditional orthodox ‘demagogues’, when the need is for leaders who lead by example. What India needs is a change — A change in psychology, a change is approach, a change is methodology, a change in rule. What India needs is a scenario where fresh enthusiastic and young visionaries take up the important tasks of governing the nation.

Even though the requirements are so crystal clear, the dream seems farfetched. 5 IIT graduates formed a political party ‘Paritrana’, creating a sensation and sending waves of hope but only at its inception, ‘coz later the dreams woke up only to see the ‘ugly’ truth. In TN elections Lok Paritran party lost miserably. Medical, Engineering and Law Students formed a political party Youth for Equality (YFE) to revolt against the reservations for OBCs only to oppressed and beaten by police and assailed by water cannons leading to a realization that politicians can do anything. When the YFE fielded one candidate to stand as an independent for the Bombay Municipal Corporation elections and three for the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MDD) elections none could win. The Bharat Uday Mission (BUM) was started in 2004 by former IIT-Kanpur students believing that fighting elections does not need money and muscle power any longer – “Thanks to a strict Election Commission, even the middle class can afford to contest polls. This is encouraging young people with no godfathers to enter politics” but when they tried to help a colleague run for the MCD elections from Kasturba Nagar, a slum colony in Delhi, they were faced with the reality: “A candidate from a political party doled out Scotch whisky to the voters. We promised free medical dispensaries and to stay in touch with the people throughout our tenure in office,” the president of the party said. But he discovered that Scotch wins votes in India. His colleague was routed in the elections. Recently even the most promising of youth parties, Lok Paritran Party (LPP) had to undergo a split and a Bharat Punarnirman Dal (BPD) was formed from within it.

The problem now seems different. Clearly, the youth is coming forward but not entrusted upon with the responsibility. It is therefore time for a change not only in the administration but in the way Indians think. Else India will continue to be the best follower but never a leader.

The writer is a correspondent of Youth Ki Awaaz