Bond is here… Is he?

Posted on March 18, 2010 in Sports

Saahil Menghani:

Shane Bond has reached Kolkata via New Zealand Airlines. The responsibility on his shoulders is weighing more than his baggage, responsibility to incite fire in KKR, perogrative to lead the pace battery, pressure to replace Shoib Akhtar. But has he been able to deliver? Has he transformed the KKR? Has this charizmatic player added spark with sparkle to Riders? And the answer is NOT YET !.

Making his IPL debut, Bond started off in superb fashion as he just conceded a single in his opening over and went for another six runs in his next including a boundary for seven runs from two overs. Dhoni’s muscle power spoiled Bond’s day as he carted him for two boundaries and a six in his last three deliveries for 17 runs in the over. Speed was there, line and length not poor but the problem was “Missing Agression”, a quality so essential for your leading pace bowler. Even though it’s early days into the IPL yet 4 overs, 33 runs , 8.25 Economy Rate is neither a justification to Bond’s talent nor to a whopping amount that he is getting.

Bond served DDD, RKB, Kings 11 Punjab & Mumbai Indians more than KKR, as Dhoni has been ruled out of CSK’s matches against them as he was injured by Bond’s half volley. Shane Bond after CSK’s innings said-“I should have bowled more yorkers”. Self realistion is the first step towards excellence. Hopefully, Bond will arrive in a big way and next time folks humming ‘ KORBO LORBO JEETBO’ could proudly say Bond is here & he is ours.

The writer is the campaign coordinator at Youth Ki Awaaz.

No i donot agree with you cz the line and length was perfect and accuracy was there ans in his first spell he was lethal and was almost unplayable Vijay and hayden were finding it dificult to stand his bowls. Rather i would say that it was due to him only that KKR was able to restrict and bind CSK at a nrmal score of 164. in his second spell or say in his last over he was hammered away and we all know why because it was boom boom dhoni al thw way so any bowler wud have tasted the same…

point taken Divyanshu..I’m not suggesting that Bond was terrible but what infact I’am trying to convey is the fact that being the leading pace bowler of KKR one expects him to be a bit more aggressive, more yorkers, a greater level of attack. I was expecting him to replicate the act of Akhtar’s first match in IPL against DDD where he demolished the DDD’s batting order and helped KKR to defend a low target. I disagree that it was Bond who enabled KKR to restrict CSK but it was Karthik.