In the land of Incompatible Gods

Posted on March 30, 2010 in YKA Editorials

Rishabh Dev:

While all the secular brigade gets to see is appearances of Mr Modi in front of the SIT as a good omen for justice; no one actually seems to be concerned about the real and root cause behind the riots. India has always been a land of impossible diversity and incompatible gods. What has gone grossly wrong after independence has to be corrected as soon as possible. We may boast of nuclear power , moon missions and IT supermacy, but at the core, the hatred and religious intolerance still looms at large.

The average Hindu as well as the Muslim grow up with a lot of apprehension about each other, in this apparently “secular” country. It is faith in each other that we will have to resurrect and correct the above mentioned apprehensions to become a true superpower. How can a country, at constant tussle with itself, achieve a steady growth rate and reserve its ranks in world order? The average Indian has to be taught the importance of religious tolerance and peaceful co-existence. And in my opinion instead of advertisements about contraception and family planning, we should have a comprehensive advertisement campaign for religious tolerance.

Also, obviously, people like Narendra Modi , Bal Thackrey , Imam Bukhari etc should be brought to justice. But it is because of the ignorance and foolishness of the masses that the seperatist and religious segregationist agendas of these individuals are realize. And it will be of no use to punish or demand justice from these pawns, because the real ghosts live in the very hinterland of India. We have to conquer these particular ghosts and remove that apprehension that threatens to cripple us. Until that happens, Godhra, Gujrat, and other places are bound to repeat themselves in this violent cyclicity, in this land of incompatible gods.

I still remember a scene from,”My Name is Khan” in which young Rizwan Khan is taught secularisim… She draws two stick figures, one holding a lollypop and the other a gun. She asks him to point out which was the Hindu and which was the Muslim. He couldn’t because they looked identical, and she told him, the simple lesson of everyone is equal. There are two kinds of people in the world. One good and the other bad and their religion doest’ make them either good or bad.
A simple lesson that needs to be taught to everyone, and one I shall pass on myself. It really is distressing that whilst Indian governments feel the need to protect minority communities and offers them opportunities through reservation, they do not condemn nor reach out to, but in their own ways perpetrate and allow violence to be inflicted upon them.
India is a Secular country, which means that people are given the freedom to practice the religion they want to, and that the State does not have a Religion. Or that the State and Religion are separate.
I assure you young children don;t understand that, as all around them, the opposite is taking place.
We the People, who believe in SAVING our NATION, and the IDeals and Values she was built on, NEED TO ACT TODAY!