Human Cloning: A Gist of conerns

Posted on April 5, 2010 in Sci- Tech

Amiya Sinha:

The topic of human cloning is both contentious and prejudiced; for example, one persons advantages may be another person’s cause for ethical concerns. The science of human cloning is still in its formative years and prompts many principled questions. Human Cloning is the making of a genetically identical print of a human, human tissue or human cell.

One benefit of cloning human tissue is that if we can grow organs, they can be used to replace dying organs. For example, if a heart disease destroys a patient’s heart, an exact replica can simply be “grown” to substitute it. Human cloning can also be a problem solver for infertile couples, even allowing parents to have a child with certain features as they require. Because cloning process allows for the manipulation of human genes, embryos can be created free of inherited genetic disorders or predispositions. The cloning process of human tissue can even be used to treat cancer patients, and also for plastic surgery.

There are many things to be concerned about when considering whether or not to clone humans. Diversity in genes is helpful to our world. Adaptation in genes allows humans to strengthen themselves against diseases and the environment. The cloning process would limit this ability severely. Copying genes generally weakens it, and scientists have validated this for the process. All animals, previously cloned have died early in their lives, of diseases or genetic issues.

Human Cloning has also brought up many ethical questions. Who will own the cloned item? One who carries the DNA or the creator? Will the financial costs of cloning be worth the end result? Finally, there are those who think that the process allows man to “play the role of God.” By this process, man is testing the blessedness of human presence on earth. After all, its god who made man and not the other way round.

Amiya is a correspondent of Youth Ki Awaaz pursuing Economics (1st Yr.) from Ramjas College, University of Delhi. Football is his religion and Manchester United is his god.  Writing has always been one of his areas of interest.

Kyle R

Hi my name is Kyle and I recently researched about cloning and I agree completely with Amiya Sinha. I am for cloning as well. Human cloning is a very controversial topic so there can be many sides. But you will either like cloning or not like it at all. The main reason why I think they should try it is because it could save many lives. If someone needs a new organ then we could clone on and they can live just like you said. And if a woman wants to have a baby then she could take their DNA and clone their own baby. Although it’s very expensive to clone, I think it will be worth it once the cost is down. It could lead to a big leap in technology with cloning. Since they have cloned animals before I think they should try human cloning. Cloning is a big part of technology because it could lead to many different things. Since not everyone agrees that cloning is correct, there are many questions that come up with cloning. If we can clone animals I think that we should be able to clone humans. Thanks for taking you time and reading my post.

Miss Rushenberg

Kyle, I love how you address both sides of the issue in your post. You provide legitimate reasons for why human cloning is appealing.