Twitter – The Technology Tempest

Posted on April 20, 2010 in All Things Social, Sci- Tech

Abhirup Bhunia:

The blue dove is the insignia of the latest whiz stuff… “It is a real-time information network powered by people all around the world that lets you share and discover what’s happening now,” says the tagline of the vanguard in present day internet technology, Twitter.

The best thing about Twitter is its growing impact and significance in modern society. While what is better, is the astute use of technology. It provides evenhanded opportunity to everybody. Twitter is perchance the only innovation where the use of good technology has merged with the kind mentality to address people — all people, not only privileged ones — creating a idée fixe of sorts. It can be accessed even through weak networks in pastoral areas or through SMS on a cell phone. It also permits access through third-party Internet and mobile applications.

Twitter is munificent enough to mention that it does not aim to replace emails or instant messages; instead it furthers the dimension of public conversation. Founded by Jack Dorsey, Evan Williams and Biz Stone, Twitter has inked concordats with major telecom operators round the globe. This is not the first social networking site — there has been a plethora of those — but barring Facebook, no other SNS has matched its reputation, let alone matching up; several haven’t managed to come even close to what Twitter has done. For once if we are prepared to discount the drawbacks of social networking sites, Twitter could be in the wish-list of even the biggest traditionalist.

Twitter took up the pains to hold talks with mobile phone brands to enable a pre-loaded Twitter application in phones, something which is surely not new — yahooGo has perhaps been the trailblazer in this initiative as far as India is concerned.

Managing Twitter is no child’s play — its data warehousing and computations over the dataset that lead up to meaningful business, especially, require the deployment of high I.Q enabled men and women. Pig, Hadoop and HBase are used heavily for these purposes, Kevin Weil, a member of the analytics team asserts.

The Twitter engineering squad boasts of experts from round the world. This groundbreaking innovation, which has changed the way people get news, share news and spread news, has up its sleeve, some of the best Indian brains namely, Anamitra Banerji, Utkarsh Srivastava, Srinivasan Rajagopal, Abdur Chowdhury and Sara Haider, as part of their engineering squad.

The messages or Tweets, as they are dubbed, are accessed by public or followers only, which mean tweets can be protected from the public eye, to be read only by users of Twitter if someone finds reason enough in doing so. ‘The SMS of the internet’, as it is called often, Twitter does not charge an ounce, however third party usages (ex, cell phone) can cost the user standard telecom service rates. The use of API (Application Programming Interface) for tweeting via other applications is availed to provide an alternative to direct use of Twitter.com.

With a whopping patron posse of over 106 million, this microblogging and social networking site is the talk of the town. Also credited to have generated major controversies in India, the Tharoor-Modi spat, the Shoania marriage and so on and so forth, Twitter will be the safest bet if any award is institutionalized that confers the best web based technology of the century.