Fossil Fuels: Running out faster than the prices are rising

Posted on May 24, 2010 in Shout Out

Nishanth Lokanath:

After 4.5 months of working extremely hard in class, it was the first Sunday of my vacation and normally all my family members meet at a place to share, celebrate and enjoy each other’s company. We did have some wonderful conversations but after that is when came the big surprise. I got a call from someone whom I never expected to call me. We chatted for more than half an hour and I didn’t want to miss her anymore. We planned to meet in a couple of days.

Just then, I got a call from my project guide saying that my presence was required at IISC (where I was doing my project). So I set to my destination on my bike.

As the fuel had almost run out, I had to refuel my vehicle on the way. Thinking about the spiraling oil prices and the inefficiency of the government in curbing it, I was desperately looking for a petrol bunk near by.

Observing the turn of events ever since the beginning of the day, I imagined that it would be a different day for me. Then what happened was…

For the first time in my life, I was caught by a traffic policeman on duty for a routine check. He asked me for the necessary documents and luckily I had all of them.

Then in a sudden jolt I discovered that one of my documents had expired the previous night and that was enough for him to prey on me. After intense buttering and bargaining I lost 200 bucks from my pocket – Loss of money. I realized that it was not my day and it proved to be true when my bike stopped midway on the road.

The fuel had run out again but I couldn’t find any bunk nearby and again had to do something I had never done before; I had to walk with my vehicle searching for fuel. After 20 minutes of searching under the hot sun I found a bunk that had only special fuel with power boosters. Without making any further delays I refueled and set to my destination.

The entire episode made me realize how dependent are we on fossil fuels and having had a hands-on experience of what it would be like if there was a real dearth of fuels.

In spite of these unlucky turn of events, the call from that unexpected special one was indeed a power booster.