Visiting the “younger daughter”s town”

Posted on May 10, 2010 in Travel

Supratim Chakraborty:

If you want to have a break from your mundane activities, if you want to come out from your busily hectic corporate world, if you want a break from everything to enjoy sometime in the midst of picturesque scenic beauty, hills, valleys, streams then Chikmagalur is an ideal place. (see map at end) Far from the honking cities, far from the crowded roads, far from the city rush, this small town which is situated in southern west part of Karnataka is a perfect place for relaxing over a weekend and forgetting all your worries and cherishing a few moments which you would be a lifetime experience. Chikmagalur is also known as “the younger daughter’s town” as the town is said to have been given as a dowry to the younger daughter of the king who ruled this place thousands years ago.

You cannot miss visiting a place like this especially if it is company sponsored. Yes!!! I got to visit this place on our team outing and that is one of the good things which companies do… team outing… once in a while but yes it is indeed an enjoyable and a memorable experience.

Chikmagalur is located some 200 kms away from Bangalore city and going by road would be advisable as you get this golden chance to witness the beauties of the Western Ghats. While you are travelling, you can let the world drift away as you enjoy the exotic surroundings – the spectacular mountain backdrop, lush green coffee plantation, and breath-taking sunsets- a truly mesmerizing landscape.

Even the air you breathe here seems to be different, perfumed with the enticing scents of coffee, pepper, cardamom, wild orchids and jungle flowers. Chikmagalur is gorgeous all year round. But the weather is most pleasant between September and March. Well this place is just not yet another hill station offering you visual treats but it also provides you with lot of adventurous options like river rafting, zip lining, rappelling and this place is a trekker’s delight with its rugged mountains trails. There is rich flora and fauna here, waiting to be discovered. Caves asking to be explored. Ruins and traces of old civilizations inviting a study. Lovely, unspoiled places to camp.

Staying in tents, playing cards with your gang of friends, listening to some soft music, exploring the unseen, a lot and much more you could do. There are accommodation available suiting every ones budget from affordable lodges to exotic resorts.With friendly people around you, the smile on the faces of the local tribes, with an ethereal experience of visiting such a beautiful place, this calm serene town would be there with you for the rest of your life.

Click here to have a list of Hotels in Chikmagalur.

View Larger Map