10 Tips to Make Sure You Don’t Gain that Extra Pound

Posted on June 27, 2010 in Health & Life

Shweta Bhalla:

The world is slowly shrinking to size-zero. And the worst hit are the females who were perfectly happy with their bodies till now, but have been dragged into this inexplicable scenario where they are being scorned at because of their not so petite frame. No one knows who sparked off such a turn of events. Was it the Bollywood actresses who incessantly ape their western counterparts and our society mindlessly imitates them? Or was it the fashion brigade which brought out clothes for only the oh-so-perfect figures and labeled anything even a millimeter larger as ‘XL’?

Whatever it was, it has surely made all of us, especially the women, extremely conscious about our bodies. We don’t want to look even an inch bigger; ever. But at the same time, there is a huge increase in the number of people who are willing to adopt the healthy lifestyle to become and then stay thin and healthy. It is not just about the crash diet anymore, but about the continuous and healthy change in the lifestyle which leads to prolonged and much more successful effects.

And here I am with the ten tips that, if made a part of your daily routine, will never let that extra pound to come back.

1. Whatever you do, DON’T miss your meals. As much alluring it sounds as the definite way to cut down on calories, it will make you even more hungry the next time you sit down to eat. And that’s when all that food will build on the fat. So the best way is to divide the three usual meals into six smaller meals, spanned over the whole day. This way, you will end up eating just enough when you are just hungry.
  2. Eat a wide variety of foods everyday to satisfy nutritional needs and achieve optimal health and well being. This involves choosing foods from each of the five food groups.
  3. Limit the consumption of the take-away or the fast-foods as they contribute a lot to the fat intakes. Though don’t hesitate to reward yourself with an occasional treat or two; provided that you don’t over indulge yourself or treat yourself too often.
  4. Try to identify the ‘non hungry’ eating. You may be eating just because you are bored, stressed or tired. Be sure that you are eating because you are experiencing true hunger.
  5. Drink A LOT of water. Even if you have a sedentary lifestyle, keep a water bottle next to you and drink from it on regular intervals. It purifies and detoxifies the body from the inside and speeds up the metabolism.
  6. Early morning walk; nothing beats this sure-shot way of staying healthy. A brisk walk in the morning keeps us fit, the fresh morning breeze rejuvenates the mind and we are fresh as ever for the day to come.
  7. Walk-walk-walk. We are bound by our own habits to pick up the car for even the shortest of distances, but try to avoid it as much as possible. Walk to all the nearby destinations.
  8. Just enrolling yourself in that gym will never help you. So however busy you are, take out time for the workout. And, do not take it lightly. Whatever small amount of time you devote to it, be it half hour or one, do it extremely seriously and passionately.
  9. One of the best ways to stop gaining weight is to power up your metabolism by increasing the muscle mass. Experts recommend strength training a few times a week to both retain and build muscle.
  10. BE POSITIVE. It is easier said than done and most people don’t even realise its importance, but the fact remains that the more you feel good about yourself, the easier it becomes to lose weight.

And while you are at it, don’t forget to be PATIENT. Give your body the time to adjust to the new schedules, don’t give in to cravings and you will see a stark improvement without having to stretch yourself a lot.

image: http://www.desidieter.com/health-search/lose-weight.html

FLAG THIS POST