FIFA World Cup 2010 Finally Begins: Waka Waka Africa

Posted on June 12, 2010 in Sports

Anand Prakash:

You’re a good soldier
Choosing your battles
Pick yourself up
And dust yourself off
And back in the saddle

[………….] Tsamina mina zangalewa
Anawa aa
This time for Africa!

It was to the tunes of this anthem that the 2010 World Cup in South Africa got under way with a spectacular and vibrant opening ceremony at the 94,000-capacity Soccer City in Johannesburg. Africa is staging the World Cup for the first time, with 32 nations competing in 64 games until the final on 11 July.

The 40-minute ceremony began with a five-plane military flypast over the stadium, which resembles a huge African cooking pot. A group of drummers and dancers performed a ‘Welcome to Africa‘ song that included an introduction to all 10 tournament’s venues.

The next sequence saw a gigantic beetle show off its football skills with the Jabulani – the official football of the finals – before large pieces of cloth were used to show a map of the continent. Musicians and artists from the other African finalists – Algeria, Cameroon, Ghana, Ivory Coast, and Nigeria – also had their chance to perform in a joint sequence.

Multiple Grammy Award winner R Kelly then sang the ceremony’s showpiece song, ‘Sign of a Victory’ with South Africa’s Soweto Spiritual Singers. But one of the loudest cheers was reserved for Mandela, whose image appeared on screens to a message of hope from him in song.

The global TV audience for the tournament will be made up of viewers in more than 215 countries and will run into hundreds of millions.

The festivities began in earnest on Thursday, with Shakira among the artists at a vast pre-tournament concert in Soweto. The Colombian pop star performed the official World Cup song Waka Waka and was joined by a cast of international stars, including the Black Eyed Peas and Alicia Keys, along with African stars Amadou & Mariam and Hugh Masekela.

Since it was chosen as the first African host of the World Cup in 2004, South Africa has spent about 40bn rand (£3.55bn) on stadiums, transport infrastructure and upgrading airports.

The tournament, which is made up of 32 nations, could add as much as 0.5% to the country’s GDP in 2010 and will bring in an estimated 370,000 foreign visitors. There are 64 games in total, with the final taking place at Soccer City on Sunday, 11 July.

Fifa president Sepp Blatter insisted the World Cup will be a success.”Everywhere, one can feel, I hope, that this World Cup is very special, the first on African soil,” he said. “We find ourselves in a position of indescribable anticipation.

“More importantly, this competition will prove that South Africa, and the African continent in general, is capable of organising an event of this magnitude.”

Some of the world’s best players will be on display in South Africa, among them Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney. But some big names will be missing because of injury, such as England duo Rio Ferdinand and David Beckham, Germany skipper Michael Ballack and Ghana midfielder Michael Essien. Didier Drogba – an icon in African sport – fractured his elbow in a recent friendly against Japan, but is hopeful of playing a part in the Ivory Coast’s campaign.

Coming Matches to watch out for:

England are among the favourites in South Africa and get their Group C campaign under way against the United States in Rustenburg on Saturday. Defending champions Italy start on Monday with a match against Paraguay, Brazil face North Korea in their first game on Tuesday and Euro 2008 winners Spain start their bid for a first World Cup win by taking on Switzerland on Wednesday.

Anand Prakash is a Special Sports Correspondent for Youth Ki Awaaz and is bringing the latest scoop from the FIFA 2010.