Is Your Region More Important than your Nation?

Posted on June 21, 2010 in Politics at Play

Siddhi Bahadkar:

We often hear people saying that India is a rich country of poor people. What does this actually mean? India has nearly 28 states and 7 union territories. Each region is rich in its own way. Take the example of Bihar. It is the state, which has the highest concentration of minerals. Yet, the people of this state are drowned in poverty.

Can’t other states help this region improve? This is a question that often plays in my mind. But, each region is absorbed in its own affairs. Instead of making use of diversities as an opportunity to prove its superiority. Sometimes this war between nationalism and regionalism can have bitter effects. When we ask a person who he is, his reply is either a ‘Maharastrian’ or ‘South Indian’ or ‘Gujarati’; but never an ‘Indian’. This is a worn out yet the best example of how people consider regionalism to be superior to nationalism.

If asked to place the order of responsibilities of a citizen, he places his responsibility first towards his region only then comes the nation. Why? Isn’t the nation more important than one’s region? People often engage themselves in proving that their region and religion is superior to others. At times this leads to political dramas, riots and civil wars. Internal disturbance often proves to be the cause for external aggression. After all these wars between regions, what do they want to prove? Do they want to prove that their region is the most important and has the more significance in the country? All this is a futile, waste of time. We need to see our country as a flower. Each region is one petal of this beautiful flower. Only because of all these petals, this country has bloomed so much. So, instead of withering these petals in regional wars, we should nurture it further to bloom to its fullest potential.

In the current context, many Indian states are demanding autonomy. The reason being that they are blaming the centre for their backwardness. Many states in the North-East are accusing the centre for its “step-motherly” treatment and this has given rise to many militant outfits such a ULFA that are demanding the liberalization of Assam. Same is the situation with Kashmir where we are still debating over the causes of the Shimla agreement with our neighbor.

The argument has to viewed in its entirety. No wonder the government has accepted the division of Uttar Pradesh into smaller provinces such a Varanchal and Uttaranchal. Although the government states that the division is purely for administrative purposes, the growing tribal unrest in the parts of Bihar and Uttar Pradesh is one of the main reasons for this division. The issue of Telangana has been added to this list.

Regions form an intrinsic part of our nation. When we perform our duties for the nation, we naturally are doing the same for our region. If all the regions come together, then we will project an image of unity and brotherhood. This will help us to pass the torch of freedom, from generation to generation. Because, ultimately, as the age-old saying goes, ‘united we stand, divided we fall’.

The writer is a correspondent of Youth Ki Awaaz.

The splitting of our Nation into states can be excused as it may help the centre in proper governance….but i am sure that the division of states on a lingual basis will be one of the most regretted decisions that the country has taken in indian history.

There is a slang generally used by the ruler of the colonies nowadays:
“Divide and Rule” changed to “Unite and Rule”.
I think the later is needed for the overall development of our country and a message to the respective states.
India is like Europe,with different local cultures, languages and people, only with a difference that it stands as a United Country,not as a Continent.
However,What has been done cannot be averted. But measures can be taken.
The main fear among the inhabitants of the respective states is the losing of their local culture and language. This fear can be averted by strengthening and promoting the local culture and involving the other state people into the local culture. The language problem can be averted by at least giving the introductory and formal training to the person who are willing to permanently settle in other state or sent by the organization(business firms, government companies etc) for long stay work. This would ensure the inhabitants of maintaining the language and cultural identity of their respective states.

Avinash Kumar

Siddhi your point is quite valid but don’t you think development of region contributes to the nation ultimately. And it is quite difficult for a common man to contribute directly to the nation but he can do so to his region quite comfortably.
But one should not do anything that profits his region but not his nation. One should ‘think of the Nation’ and ‘do to the region’, for it is very difficult to directly get involved in national level.

Lazy Pineapple

Yes..India is definitely facing the internal strife…
It is because the funds are not distributed equally in all regions…
Some parts have received all the funds and have developed very fast compared to other parts in India.

We are a country with different languages and religions…and we will face this country on earth has such a mixture of culture like our country has…

The solution to this problem is…to end corruption and do something about the population explosion…I believe controlling population is the most important thing.