By Sahiba Singh:
If we are all done with the whole lot of the bad comedies coming year after year, with a sense of humor that makes us cry to sleep, why not watch these classic comedies! All of the following have a cult following of all the age groups, and are sure to tickle your funny bone and send you rolling down the aisles. Go ahead and enjoy them! After all, laughter is the best medicine!
1) Hairspray (2007):Â This one has everything- singing, dancing, romance and a strong social message! It is inspired from a Broadway musical, and John Walter’s 1988 comedy film, both of the same names. The movie has riveting performances by John Travolta, Nikki Blonsky and Christopher Walken, and foot tapping music by Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman.
What is the best time to watch it? When you want to sing and dance but not on bollywood numbers.
Where to catch it: HBO.
2) A Mel Brooks movie: He is the king of comedies. With a career spanning 61 years, and still counting, he has directed 11 feature films, each being a laugh riot. Three of his productions feature among the top 20 of the greatest comedy films of all times. Dealing with farce, satire and parody is his forte. His films are loaded with classic one-liners.
What is the best time to watch it? Every time you want to laugh aloud, you know where to go!
Where to catch it: Unfortunately, none of the movie channels has the rights, so internet is the only option.
3) Clue (1985): This is a comedy film based on the board game of the same name. The movie released in theatres, showing one of three possible endings, as in the board game. Different theaters received a different ending to the movie. It is a sharp, witty and intelligent comedy. It stars some of the biggest names- Tim Curry and Madeline Kahn, both at their best. Unfortunately it was a box office disaster but over the years it has amassed a cult following.
What is the best time to watch it? Whenever you are tired of mindless comedies, switch on to this intelligent rib- tickler.
Where to catch it: www.youtube.com
4) Death at the funeral (2007): This is one of the best black comedy of the recent years. Directed by Frank Oz the story focuses on a family attempting to resolve a variety of problems while attending the funeral of the patriarch. It has numerous sub-plots but they never overcrowd. It had also inspired two remakes, Daddy Cool in India and Death at a funeral in US, both the films failed to recreate the magic. So go for the original, and ensure a rib tickling evening!
What is the best time to watch it? When you are low and miserable, this one is sure to cheer you up!
Where to catch it: Star Movies and Sony Pix
5) Napoleon Dynamite: It is a 2004 American independent comedy flick. The only word that can describe this movie is WEIRD. Everything from the characters, plot and situations is just weird but strangely they all come together to make an unforgettable movie. Whether you love or hate it you just can’t get this one out of your head. It stars the adorable Jon Heder as Napoleon Dynamite, so there you have another reason to check this one out!
What is the best time to watch it? When you purposely want to screw your mind, this one will definitely do it for you!
Where to catch it: Star Movies andÂ www.youtube.comFLAG THIS POST
Indian politicians are very well known to make politically (in)correct statements. Some are just plain stupid, some scandalous.Read More >
On December 12 this year, team YKA went offline (well, mostly) for Youth Ki Awaaz’s annual flagship event CONVERGE.Read More >
One documentary filmmaker, Vaishali Sinha, took on an impressive project to highlight these issues through the work of the famed Dr. Mahinder Watsa.Read More >
Despite initial apprehensions regarding living with someone of a different faith, both Apipa and her host family ended up learning from each other.Read More >
“The old man has gone senile” was my husband’s response. I am crying inside. This happened in my house and I feel like I can’t do anything about itRead More >