5 Simple Steps to Simple Living: The High Road to High Thinking

Posted on July 5, 2010 in Specials

Tarun Kothari:

1. Don’t bargain too hard:

Hard-bargained savings through auto drivers, vegetable vendors, and Local stationery shop might not influence or make much or any difference to your lifestyle but then it could mean a lot to them.

Don’t you tempt to pay excessively high for a single name (brand) that doesn’t make much a difference to its quality and comfort level compared to good indigenous goods just for the sake of the image, goodwill and luxury tag (not necessarily luxury itself!)? The same 100% cotton t-shirt costs you some Rs.300-400 more when tagged with some celebrity-endorsed, well-advertised brand. Don’t you tip off to well paid staff of some 4/5 star hotel just because the society customs demand it?

Think twice, a small act from you can make this world a better place to live in. Let not the human service-oriented part of you wake when the situation demands like a disaster or calamity, but let it be a part of your everyday living.

2. Don’t be too luxurious rather adore simple living:

All the religions embrace austerity. But then understanding the practical urban life temperament I’d only say avoid over-luxury. When the whole of the city is facing water crisis do you tend to use a bath-tub? How about whole night central air conditioning with a blanket on when the nation is facing severe electricity crisis? How about throwing away food which you took in excess amount in the first place in a nation where there is a hunger death every other second? After-all money can buy anything. But it’s the excessive utilization by the rich that increases the price of things that the unprivileged find increasingly difficult to purchase.

3. Believe/understand your religion:

Don’t just blindly believe your religious principles but understand them. I find lots of inspiration for service through spirituality. Today’s science and technology dominated world might not see any logic and reasoning in it but I believe that it’s not that religion is illogical but science is too young to understand it and so is our wisdom’s maturity.

4. Through social sites:

Spread the cause! Discuss, support and appreciate. One click and awareness to hundreds.

5. Be the change you wish to make in the world. (- Mahatma Gandhi)

Take up a particular cause that interests you the most. Busy with your work? Try allocating just few hours a week. Let it be one of the goals of your life. Believe me it’s going to be the most beautiful part of you. Goole up relevant charities pertaining to your specific social interests. Fund, volunteer and spread!

image courtesy: http://www.stumbleupon.com/stumbler/webstar01/reviews/

FLAG THIS POST

gaurav jain

one line for your hatred towards overspending people… ” the amount of money in your bank when you die is the extra work that you should not have done”…
also there is trickle down effect applicable in this case… when we spend more people at lower level get more…

Tarun Kothari

@Gaurav:
    I’m not against overspending I’m againt over-luxury.
    Overspending at certain instance has positive effects like boosting a nation’s economy which i support from the very first passage as i say don’t bargain too hard with lower sections of society.
    but when it comes to over consumption of food , electricity and water –commodities which are in high demands , it helps none infact it increases their price make its increasingly difficult for unprivileged to afford.
    thirdly you are correct that i don’t believe in bank balance after death , but not as a extra work in vain but a balance that could have spent for better causes and charities.

Anirudh

Great thoughts ,Tarun.The importance of simplicity needs to be understood by each individual who has money to spend…I also agree that spirituality can make world a better place.We have no moral rights to waste food and water when there are people around the world dying due to lack of it.

Tarun Kothari

well thanks anirudh 🙂

gaurav jain

@ tarun
you have to become luxurious in order to spend more. basic needs requires only basic money. the extra money goes into the luxury items only be it of any kind mind it that the multimedia phone which you are using is also a luxury.

secondly, as the price of these food commodities increase we have to pay more to the vegetable vendors only who belong to the poor section of the society and hence they get more to meet their needs and same is the case with other stuff too.

thirdly, there is no such thing as charity and altruism, its only a way to deceit people. doing all these worthless charity work just make the people on the other side even more dependable and incapable live a happy and prosperous life. besides these charity work and all lower the best power of the man i.e self esteem. if you want to go further in this section read the fountainhead and the anthem by ayn rand.
one more thing the people who do charity are the biggest sinners because they want other people to become slave to them for the debt you have offered to them in the name of help or your so called “charity”…

tarun

@gaurav;
when a children sees his farmer father suicide for petty amount, when a father sees his incapability to send his son to a good school the first thing that comes a feeling of embarrashment and unpleasantness than pride and esteem; after all esteem is only a commodity of the upper class who can ” afford to have it ”
there is nothing that is perfect nor anything where a human doesn’t sees a fame or to rule , let few motives for charity be one ; but then I’ll say its still the best as your greed is fulfilled by service to others
in which world are living gaurav, a vegetable vendor only has a ration card where he can by low quality rice and feed himself and his family ; its sad not only them but in general all , they can never afford to experiece their own services