Is Religion A Way Towards Spirituality?

Posted on August 27, 2010 in Featured

By Chandeep Arora:

“This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness”

— Dalai Lama

Call him Ram or call him Allah, it makes no difference. Erect a temple on every corner or hang a photo of him on every wall, it makes no difference. Until and unless we keep him in our heart and his teachings in our actions we won’t be able to discover the essence of our being. Being religious can be a way to being spiritual, if we are able to find what religion actually means. Religion is feeding the poor; it’s not fasting once in a week and doing evil the rest of the time. Religion is providing shelter to the homeless; it’s not making temples on every vacant space. We just have enough religion to make us hate but not enough to make us love.

Etymologically the word “Religion” is derived from the Latin word ligare meaning connect or bind. Logically then, Religion is means to connect to god. Sensible enough- except, I have to ask, how are we supposed to form a meaningful connection with the invisible, supernatural power? Rather than trying indistinctly trying to form connections with the uncaring blue sky, we have a better kind of religion down here on the earth. HUMANITY, which meaningfully unites us by teaching the astounding truth that we belong to the same mental tribe.

The religion of humanity does not makes us realize the ways in which we are different but the similarities we share. It teaches us the truth that our similarities are so deep and so pervasive as to completely overwhelm the comparatively shallow things that divide us from each other. Since there is one world, there should be one true description of it. If the religious beliefs were based on this fact, then we might expect them to converge eventually; but this is not the case. Differences in caste and creed still rule us. We still feel apathy to be with a lower caste human being. Why this discrimination when we all belong to the same cosmos, we all experience the same emotions.

Who are they to differentiate between a Hindu and Muslim when there is Ram in “Ramzan” and Ali in “Diwali”. Humanity lies in the spiritual aspect of a person. The more we involve ourselves in reaching out to the needy, the more spiritual we become. Spirituality involves knowing the inner self. As Dalai Lama said, humanity should be our religion, and love, kindness, compassion our tools to achieve spiritualism… All we need is compassion. Empathy for each other. Peace within ourselves. Introspection is a great way to find the way to the inner self. Speak kindly. Care Deeply. Love generously. Humanity truly stands out to be the only religion of love, peace and kindness. So let’s embrace humanity and start a new way of life, a new vision, a new destiny for the generations to come.

Image: http://www.intentblog.com/archives/2007/02/holistic_relati.html

kalpana sharma

dear brother,
you’ve asked a very good question. how to connect to the supernatural power?
there is a way to connect. i’ve learnt it and even you can. introspection without real understanding or vision can not lead to our inner self. in fact too much of it may drive you mad. believing in God without seeing is merely a blind following.to day people misconceive religion to be mere ethical codes. for the development of trust and hence faith , we need to relize our True Self, which involves the direct perception of our Soul. our pure consciousness is not something substantial to be sensed by our physical organs. rather, it is the subtlest existence pervading throughout the cosmos. so, to perceive it, we need the most subtle and precise instrument which is none other than our Divine Eye, which is also called the Third Eye or the Tenth Door.
through this Divine Eye, we are able to connect to the supernatural power. our body becomes His temple, likewise everybody else to is His Seat. this realization binds each human being to the other and there remains no distinctions or outward differentations. this only will lead to real bonding. My Perfect Master SadGuru Shri Ashutosh Maharajji has bestowed this True Knowledge ‘Brahm Gyan’ to more that 25 lakh people in India and Abroad from all walks of life of different religion. in turn, all these people have become messengers of peace and our working for humantity.
Kalpana Sharma.

Chandeep Arora

Dear Kalpana,

I respect your master and his art of ‘Brahm Gyan’. But according to me, most of the people realize humanity and peace only when they are in trouble. They will perform all sorts of rites and rituals to let them come out of it! On Tuesdays they will feed the beggars, provide them with clothes.. Ask them, don’t the beggars need food the rest of the week ? Humanity is not an eye candy, it’s a process of life, it’s religion! Those of who really want to help people, share their problems, won’t wait for anyone to let them teach “humanity”. This can’t be taught, it comes from within.. if you really want to lend a hand, go on, just do it.. don’t wait for the “third eye” to open!

Vijay

Religion is the way of your life. The way we are mentored, the way we look at world, The way we look at the society. Religion in fact DIVIDES us.
Sprituality is the way of your soul. The way you wish to be seen, the way you wish to be connected to your inner being, the way you wish society was.
When we utter the word RELIGION we are drawing lines between us but when we talk about spirituality, we talk of “connecting”.
Religion can never be the way to spirituality.
I stand to be corrected..

Chandeep Arora

Dear Vijay,

Religion is a way to spirituality. That is what I tried to explain here. Making humanity the only religion, makes us one ! No, we are not drawing lines by saying the word religion. We need to flip our perspective, we need to defy the given, we need to establish HUMANITY as the only religion. By helping people, lending a helping hand, we can believe to our inner being, we will feel more elated, more spirited. I tried this and believe me you feel content!

• Does God Exist? [Scientifically?] | Youth Ki Awaaz: Mouthpiece for the Youth
  • Similar Posts