A Life Without Googling. Possible?

Posted on September 4, 2010 in All Things Social

By Pallavi Devpriya Chauhan:

“I can’t find an answer to this mathematics puzzle.”, “What is the meaning of this word?” , “Where and in which corner is this place located in the world?”, “Can any one help me translate this sentence from English to Spanish?”.

The answer to all the questions given above is GOOGLE. Life without Google in the current day scenario is unimaginable. Recently I was chatting with one of my friends on Gtalk and we decided to compete on the knowledge of Urdu poetries. If there was no Google, it would have taken me hours going over some books. But this effort was reduced, it just required me to Google it out.

Can you imagine Internet without Google? The normal response to this kind of a question would be yes. But think about it once again; can you think of a day without Gmail, YouTube, Google Video, Google Reader, Picassa, Blogger, Orkut, Google Maps, Google Docs, Google Analytics, Google AdSense, Google Chrome, Google Analytics, Google News, Google, Google, Google! What a mess! It seems almost impossible to work without google!

Google provides unparalleled Internet search. Whether you accept it or not the word “Google” is almost synonymous to “Internet”. You name a service and Google offers it right from providing a search engine to IM sharing to online word processor and a website creator.

Looking at the current situations, we must regard Google as a Big Brother. Google knows about what we want and fetches us the same. Now that kind of information gives Google a tremendous power. Still haven´t figured it out why? Google can develop the exact application or service to fulfill your most ardent needs. So basically while Google works on creating new needs, it also develops new ways to address them. That´s kind of easy peasy lemon squeezy. For it. And for us too, apparently. Unless we start one day without Google.

But a question arises from all this: why should I study anymore since I find everything on the Internet? And the problem is, for many people this question doesn´t have an obvious answer.

So there is a big risk that we, or at least our children, will forget how to handwrite (word processors rule!), will forget the multiplication table (google it!), will forget anything related to literature (lol, leave me alone M8!), history (there´s wiki), natural sciences and so on. The problem is, sooner or later we won´t be able to discern what is true and what is false and since all our information sources have moved online, the truth will lie on the first page of the SERPS (search engine results pages). And just like that…

…Your senses, typical for all live organisms, will all be annihilated.

Well this issue has to be looked into because it’s a question of generation next. We cannot leave the whole generation in the hands of “Google”,

All that, only if you let it happen.
But we can make a change. Have a different view.
Make a point and stand up for it.
We can start A day without Google.