Can India Emerge As A Superpower by 2020?

Posted on September 18, 2010 in Biz and Eco

By Aditi Kumar:

With the current geopolitics being highly unpolar and treading on thin ice, the countries which strike right will dominate the global arena in the coming years. It goes without saying that the countries which are currently looked upto as potential successors of U.S.A and other European countries in global economic and political supremacy are the BRMIC (Brazil,Russia,Mexico,India and China)

All these countries have different reasons to feature in this exclusive list, The Latin American countries for their rich resources of raw material and high investment conducive environment, China has already proven its potential by its rapid capture of global markets and the will to fully exploit its human resources through a staunch Communist stance.

Now the question is how well does India justify its position here and thus, will it be able to maintain it and rise up to the expectations of being a superpower within the near future. India has of course come a long way since its independence,and there the bandwagon stops.

Since the past two decades, India has been enjoying the status of imperialism in the info-tech sector,being one of the major markets for IT industry . Then as a developing country it has mass potential in terms of an emerging market for investment, a pool of young educated and internationally competent professionals. We have all the tools, but the mechanism is not in place.

India’s middle class is very ideally clinged onto this Utopic idea of Superpowerhood, but only thinking about it will not make it happen. We have some major constraints that pull us back and have made us one fourth the size of our giant neighbours economy in terms of GDP over these two decades. So what are these problems?

The one and major is the pervasive poverty that impedes India’s progress in every sector, every way. We have not been able to absolutely tackle the problem in spite of it being a major highlight in every five year plan conceived since independence. What has been happening all these years is creation of a widening gap between the rural and the urban and middle-class. And with poverty, needless to say, attach all these problems of malnutrition, illiteracy and lack of basic facilities in the lives of the impoverished. We face major internal security threats with Naxals and citizens in complete agitation with the country. Food security is another major issue at hand where on the one hand we see our food grains go waste due to lack of storage and at the same time face hunger and malnutrition problems. Our growth today, does not overshadow or in any way minimise the pertinence of these problems.

Another major factor which affects a country’s growth is of course its system of governance. India has been this fairly hyped largest democracy in the world, but its effectiveness is getting less credible as you speak. What we need are radical moves and radical changes and a stronger government hand in policy implementation. The country almost need the rule of the stick to inculcate what we direly lack in all spheres of life: discipline. The Indian system of governance has always been about the petty politics of retention of power and patronage.

We have to bring ourselves to terms with reality and hence predict our country’s fate. Without structural changes in economy, we cannot expect it to race ahead of its time. Research, innovation, risk taking policy and absolute implementation is the need of the hour. Capacity building and decreasing our dependence on other economies is another requirement. We still are major importers of our Arms and ammunition which means dependency, as opposed to China which is now among the five major exporters of the same.

The ambitions for this sub-continent are not Utopic, but will be if we don’t find the right way to realise them. With the passing of the nuclear liability bill, we are at a position to exploit our nuclear capabilities. The recent global economic recession and how our country was relatively less affected and also was one of the first to recover, shows the existence of a stable and growing economy. The output is expected to increase by 10% in the next few years. So the cynics won’t be here to stay long, but in order to make our presence assertive globally, we need to employ a focussed approach in achieving our goals. With global and regional competition from China, it sure seems a Herculean task,but so has every major achievement been, and we all know this one will have more rewarding results than we could ever fathom,after all super powerdom is one ring that will rule them all.

The writer is the Assignments Editor at Youth Ki Awaaz.

Image: http://www.ias.berkeley.edu/node/304

Asok

Something about Our Great Country India
Read this and please tell me if it is worth debating or comparing India and any countries on earth?
If yes please tell me in which sector china can compete with India

1>India Largest Democracy in the world-: Population: 1.2 Bn

2>India the most industrialized country

3>The world’s biggest back office

4>world’s largest skilled workforce

5>Largest english speaking nation by 2010

6> over 800 movies made anuualy–bollywood overshadows hollywood, Movies superpower.

7> 6 Miss Universe / Miss world titles in last 10 years: Beauty superpower

8>Per capita income US $9550 ; 2% live in poverty, literacy levels at 88%: economic superpower!

9>The Indian Diaspora
38% of Doctors in AMerica are Indians
36% of NASA employees are Indians
34% of Microsoft employees are Indians
28% of IBM employeesare Indians
17% of Intel employees are Indians
13% of Zerox employees are Indians

intellectual superpower!

10>India will eventually become world’s largest economy in 2083–Goldman Sachs

11>India is fastest growing GDP’s in the world

12>India’s GDP will exceed that of Italy in 2020, France in 2020, Germany in 2025 and Japan in 2035 — USA in 2050, China in 2082 –Goldman Sachs

13>India’s Foreign exchange reserves history
1990-91 $40 billion
1995-96 $200 billion
2001-02 $600 billion
2002-03 $760 billion
2003-04 $1000 billion
2004-05 close to $1500 billion
2006-10 over $ 3000 billion

14>Indian Economy
Robust hyper growth of manufacturing, agriculture and services
Low external debt, low deficit, high trade surplus

299 Fortune 500 companies outsource IT work to India
Increased disposable income, increased wealth
Large emerging affluent middle class

15>Indian Aviation
Air deccan–1 st low cose domestic carrier
Most international carriers now target India for network growth and profitability
$5 bn capital infusion in govt owned carriers
Airport privatization

16>India will be the second fastest growing travel and tourism market over 2005-2014 at 8.8%– WTTC

17> Size of indian tourism is 330 million as of 2004

18>Indians going abroad as of 2004
Singapore — 375,658
Saudi Arabia — 373,636
UAE — 336,046
Kuwait — 293,621
Thailand — 280,641
Bahrain — 268,383
USA — 257,271
China — 213,611
U.K — 205,065
Hongkong — 193,705
NewZealand — 16,862

19> India growth projections
1999 — 2.7%
2000 — 3.4%
2001 — 3.6%
2002 — 4.2%
2003 — 4.5%
2004 — 5.9%
2005 — 6.9%
2006 — 8.0%
2007 — 9.4%
2008 — 11%
2009 — 12.8%
2010 — 15%
2011-2050 — 16.8%

20> Drivers of outbound growth
Increased charter operations
Upper middle income group will remain largest segment
potential consumer pie will grow to 300 billion
Age group of 15 to 49 likely comprise 62%
Self-employed who account for over 40% will emerge as
high potential target market
Holiday finance will become popular

21> Over 500 million Indian’s will travel overseas by 2020 — WTO

22> india discover water in moon, space superpower

23> 15 indian awarded Nobel prize.

READ it and WEEP

Aman Alam

I don’t think this is all what it takes to be a super power.
    Fast forward to 2012, just 8 years to 2020.
    We still have Power Crisis, no efficient way of unique citizen identification, corruption and bureaucracy at their peak, ever growing distance between the riches and the poor, polarization of job markets, several states (read U.P.) still standing at the place they were at 10 years ago (if you think developing Noida and Lucknow is development of the state, then get a life).
    Soaring inflation, increasing real estate prices and misuses of agricultural land..
    Where do you see the Indian Dream coming true?

No homo!

I want India to be happy country.

I want my country to be a peaceful,happy world where people are treated fairly and equally.I don’t want India to be a Nuclear superpower or any kind of power….just a peaceful,happy place.

P.S I almost forgot! I also want india to have faster internet 😉

Aman Alam

Asok, I don’t think this is all what it takes to be a super power.

rocky

Keep dreaming maybe after Judgement Day when Jesus Christ has returned to the world God may allow India to be a superpower for1 hour exactly.