Giving Education Back To Society

Posted on September 4, 2010 in Society

By Tejasvi:

It would not be an overstatement if I said that I totally agree with Prof Sahastrabuddhe of ‘3 Idiots’ when he says “Life is a race” because it really is. We have no choice but to compete with other ‘lives’ for our existence. As Charles Darwin said and would say again if he were alive, that it is a matter of “Survival of the fittest”. I strongly adhere to the notion that one must take sabbaticals after they complete their education. APJ Abdul Kalam once said that every student done with their graduation / undergraduation or whatever highest level of education they have achieved, must spend one whole year in the villages teaching the education-deprived children. What a noble thought that is!

I deeply respect him for his attitude towards social-service. One must never forget one’s motherland even when one goes abroad for studying, for we are nothing without an identity, which our motherland has given. We must always be respectful towards our nation and try to help the under-privileged citizens in whatever way we can.

“We want that education by which character is formed, strength of mind is increased, the intellect is expanded, and by which one can stand on one’s own feet” said the greatest person India has ever produced – Swami Vivekananda. When we are eligible and enjoying the step which is helpful in building our character, then why not the kids who, in the villages, till today are not aware of the light that education gives them? We must give it a serious thought and make it possible. We are the youth of the nation. If it’s not our responsibility to educate those children, then whose is it? Let us not be selfish and spread our knowledge to others as well. We must see education as a weapon in our hands to eradicate the poverty, which is surprisingly rampant in the villages and few cities even though Indian is very much independent. Let us make the meaning of independence clear by educating our little brothers and sisters. They will enjoy the fruits of education, maybe a lot later, but do not gainsay them the initial steps. A step towards reality.

The writer is a Correspondent of Youth Ki Awaaz and a student of MIT, Manipal.

Image courtesy: http://casestudy.co.in/national-strategy-action-plan-for-ict-in-education/2010/03/27/