What”s New in Intel Core i3, i5, i7 Processors?

Posted on September 2, 2010 in Sci- Tech

By Rishabh Prasad:

With the commencement of 2010, Intel made sure that they don’t have a slow start, especially in the field of mainstream computers. In its first CES (Consumer Electronics Show) press event of 2010, Intel announced the already well known Arrandale and Clarkdale CPUs. Intel had planned 27 total SKUs, which include these CPUs, for 2010. These multi core CPUs include four varieties of Core i3, eight Core i5s, and five Core i7 processors.

The 17 processors mentioned above are based on Nehalam architecture. This gives them the ability to use Intel’s Turbo Boost Technology, which allows processor cores to run faster than the base operating frequency if it is operating below power, current, and temperature specification limits; Hyper Threading, which increases performance by allowing for two threads per processing core; enhanced Intel Smart Cache and a memory controller integrated into the CPU; and intelligent power gating between the CPU and the Intel HD Graphics, which is an advanced video engine that delivers smooth, high-quality HD video playback, and advanced 3D capabilities, providing an ideal graphics solution for everyday computing. Moving the graphics controller onto the CPU die means that the chipsets are now based on two chips rather than three.

As the first level in Intel’s new processor family, the Intel Core i3 processor is the perfect entry point for a fast, responsive PC experience. The revolutionary new architecture provides unparalleled computing experience. Intel Core i3 processors include three kinds— i3-530, i3-540 and i3-550 with clock speeds of 2.93 GHz, 3.06 GHz and 3.2 GHz respectively. All the three segments have 4 MB Smart Cache and have two cores.

The second level in Arrandale and Clarkdale CPUs is marked by the Intel Core i5 processors. As per Intel, “The Intel Core i5 processor automatically allocates processing power where it’s needed most. Whether you’re creating HD video, composing digital music, editing photos, or playing the coolest PC games–with the Intel Core i5 processor you can multitask with ease and be more productive than ever”. Core i5 processors include two segments — 32 nm and 45 nm having 4 MB and 8 MB of Smart Cache and two and four cores respectively. The clock speed goes up to 3.6 GHz.

Next come Intel Core i7 processors. Intel claims them to be brilliantly fast and the best desktop processor family on the planet. Intel Core i7 processors deliver an incredible breakthrough in quad-core performance and feature the latest innovations in processor technologies. With 8 threads available to the operating system, multi-tasking becomes even easier. The 45 nm versions have four cores whereas the 32 nm version has 6 cores.

In a video conference between Intel officials and engineering students of KIIT, Bhubaneswar, it was revealed that the processors which have to be unveiled in 2015 are ready in their labs. One can’t even imagine what next is coming.

The writer is a Tech-columnist at Youth Ki Awaaz. You can tweet him at @rishabh_prasad.

Ankur

Nice article…
Remember the time when AMD gave a really hard competition to Intel despite being a much smaller company, but that was all in Pentium (now like stone-age era) when AMD was regarded as the better ones. However, after the introduction of multi-core processors like core 2 duo and quad core etc. they were falling back. And with the introduction of these i-series processors they are nowhere to be seen. Last i heard their phenom processors were creating some buzz but those were still in development phase. Whatever happened to that?? Hope AMD makes a comeback..

And i also read about Intel acquiring McAfee security solutions. Whoa.. now that would be awesome, isn’t it? Processors with built in security… Chip heavyweights and security experts. Nice…

Rishabh

@Ankur With Intel taking its stand with quad and hex cores CPUs, AMD is totally crushed. I am damn sure they will be coming with their gaming counterpart very soon.

Processors with McAfee will be a treat indeed. :)