Woman Power in A Male Dominated World: Thumbs Up?

Posted on September 4, 2010 in Society

By Dishi Solanki:

The minute I call out a name referring to a girl or lady our galloping thoughts fit them into frame of either a girlfriend, wife, mother, sister, bhabhi, mami or some random social relation. We seldom imagine them into shoes of either a corporate or may be an influencial leader (unless the name is Indira Gandhi!)… Albeit we walk with our heads held high tagging ourselves socially culturally toned to 21st century but the reality isn’t parallel.

Even today it turns us obnoxious imagining a mother or a wife performing anything apart from daily household chores. Even today many homes witness the same old story of a woman completing her daily duties (which haven’t been listed anywhere) before stepping out for her corporate play. Even the much relished idiot box portrays the very images of women working at home in programs and advertisements. Very few men are seen doing household work on TV as it is traditionally considered to be “a woman’s job!”. The traditional views of position of women within society are so deeply ingrained that it is back breaking to change them. So the question is how gripping are talks about liberation of women, reservation for women and prominence to women today? Many people support the airy report that role of women within the society has changed, more women work than even before & most of them have careers. Nonetheless, in my opinion there is a lot of sexual discrimination against women in society. Men have to bear with bruises in head the moment any woman tries to match her shoulders with them in any field.

According India’s Constitution, women are legal citizens of the country and have equal rights with men (Indian Parliament). Because of a lack of acceptance from the male dominant society, Indian women suffer immensely. Everybody reading this article would surely agree that many women find it difficult to return to work after having children. One of the reasons being that there are rarely any provisions made for childcare in the workplace and, in these cases, women are forced to find someone to look after the children while they are at work. Most of the neutral families need two incomes to enjoy a good standard of living, where a woman finds herself doing two jobs – one at office and the other at home. So the position of women has rather deteriorated than improving.

In contrary a few women are proving sky is the limit by being on the top positions as judges, business leaders, astronauts and politicians while a number of other previously all-made professions are opening their ranks to women. We talk of many women like Indira Gandhi, Indira Nooyi, Kalpana Chawla, Sunita Williams, Pratibha Patil and others. There are women pilots, office bosses, teachers and whatnot blah! But this does not mean all women are happy. Just 20% of women standing tall does not justify the point of the rest 80% being overlooked. Over a period the position of women in corporate society has no doubt witnessed a brain storming change but the same change is insignificant for the women of rural India. It is now the time to deliberate on some issues related to the freedom enjoyed by women. Being a girl, I consider this to be an issue worth acting on and expect the same from every girl and woman round the globe. Rise not to fight but to create an indelible impact on society through your work.

The writer is a Correspondent of Youth Ki Awaaz and is also the Vice President for Talent Management of AIESEC Ahmedabad.

Image courtesy: http://asiafoundation.org/program/overview/womens-political-participation

Youth Ki Awaaz

India's largest platform for young people to express themselves on critical issues - making best use of new media and online journalism.

Submit Your Story

Comments

You must be logged in to comment.

If you sign up with Google, Twitter or Facebook, we’ll automatically import your bio which you will be able to edit/change after logging in. Also, we’ll never post to Twitter or Facebook without your permission. We take privacy very seriously. For more info, please see Terms.

Similar Posts

#StartTheChange

Submit your story