‘Pin Drop Silence’ — The Societal Problem We Suffer From

Posted on October 24, 2010 in Society

By Chandeep Arora:

“The only thing we have to fear is fear itself – nameless, unreasoning, unjustified, terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance.”
— F D Roosevelt – First Inaugural Address, March 4, 1933

The Vice Chancellor of one of the most reputed Universities of India complies with an absurd demand of Aditya Thackeray to withdraw an award winning book from the syllabus keeping “Pin Drop Silence”. A girl is abducted and raped in front of the populace, everyone keeping “Pin Drop Silence”. It’s a pity that we have ample amount of time for discussing senseless “land issues” but not enough to take action against the unfair/appalling intentions.

What keeps us from opposing the real issues? Fear? But I guess we have enough of it when it comes to facing the water canons and marching for anti-reservation! It’s just that we don’t give it more attention because the issue doesn’t concern us. We will surely give it a fight if it would have something to do with us. Does any one really care if someone else is suffering?

We also refrain from raising our voice to keep ourselves away from the involvement in police cases. Speaking practically, we live in a very ego-centric world today. Everyone wants a good life without any issues and problems. No one wants to get entangled in the legal processes. But we often forget that these issues increase more if not handled at the right time. We might leave it for some time but it may affect us the other moment.

Hundreds of people are arrested in this country every week; thousands are beaten up in police stations; people are shot dead in “encounters”. All this is known and even accepted. But there is no hope for India unless people come out to challenge the conditions in which the vast majority of people live, and fight the special interests that maintain such conditions. There is no hope for India unless people question the unjust laws that clamp down on those who oppose the status quo.

The essential principle behind all this is that everyone has the right to speak out — to protest wrong actions, to question laws that they believe are unjust, to question the authorities when they demonstrate unjust behavior. The due process of law must be followed. This is surely the minimum right and likewise, a duty of every person.

If you think something is wrong, go against it. It’s only the fear of being without support and being looked down upon that holds us back from doing what we believe in. As one of the famous German proverb goes, it is fear that makes the wolf look bigger and better. Faith is not worshiping the God; it is challenging the wrong and having the strength to make it right. It’s the time that we make a shift from the absurd issues and make a difference in the society by speaking up against the indecorous. It’s the time to challenge the pin drop silence and emerge louder and louder!