Shall We Change?

Posted on October 16, 2010 in Specials

By Swaruparani Sahu:

At some point or other, you must have said to yourself, “How come that person is so rude?”; “Why doesn’t he/she understand my views or feelings?” or “How come they say such a thing?” or “Why am I the one who always gets hurt?” I too have said things like that several times. We often react this way because emotions are a pivotal part of most people’s innate thoughts & behaviours… we usually first respond emotionally to our needs, rather than in a logical and rational manner, which only come after we are emotionally done.

It’s ridiculous sometimes when people spend inordinate amounts of time and energy being upset, angry or frustrated by other’s thoughts and actions. Our senses fly out of the window and we refuse a pragmatic approach to the issue. Why should we (by default) believe we can change another person’s (an independent thinking self just like us) behaviour just a few choice words? (Think about it for a minute… doesn’t that sound kind of ludicrous) One of life’s hardest lessons is just change yourself, if you can’t change the world.

If we can change the way we live our life, then it’s very easy to deal with an external change. We can’t expect the whole world to mould into what we want. We must be the change we want to see in the world. In simple words, all it takes is a bit of flexibility and a will to think or act differently. It’s always easier to change our own self-image, values and behaviour rather than someone else’s. A change from within is the smoothest and most effective way for improving the way we perceive the eccentric world (because a person thinks that everyone except him is weird in one way or the other).

When I was young and free and my imagination had no limits, I dreamed of changing the world. But now, I discovered the world would not change, my country won’t change either. Neither can I change my family nor my friends. All I can do is changing me first…