Rapid Growth Of Telecom Industry: I’ll Call You When The Next Change Arrives

Posted on November 20, 2010 in Biz and Eco

By Varun Shrivats:

One intrinsic feature of man is his tendency to get bored with any object over a period of time. Ergo, the infinite number of types and brands of each and every particular object in the market, and the increase in depth of the meaning attached to the word “change”.

You can find hundreds of phrases associated with the word “change” on the internet, so I will not bother stating a few of those here. Still, this would not prevent the entry of one such phrase at this juncture, simply because of its unblemished verity. It reads: “Change persists”.

Our lack of satisfaction with things which at one point of time may have seemed timeless is at the crux of the engine mechanism that spurs the process of evolution forward.

There are several instances that can assist me in giving justice to the preceding paragraph, but the one whose help I’ll be using now is that offered by the business sector, and in particular, the telecom industry and the mobile phones industry.

The first decade of this millennium can be termed a volatile period in the least if we are referring to the finances of the countries in the world. We (and here I can safely use “We” to include almost all the countries in the world, without much loss in generality) were hit by a recession of commendable magnitude. Let me draw an analogy here. It was like waking up from a pleasant dream hit by a pail of cold water. This analogy is true to the full, because, before the recession, as has been the case, we were on a roller coaster ride which took us further in only one direction: upwards. We left aside the occasional troughs in the ride that come about due to turbulences created by unruly problems in the finances of the countries, such as the destruction of the World Trade Centre in 2001.

Now, as we crawl our way back to take our seats in the ride again, we can only hope that we’ll be taken on another uphill ride. Positive signals are being broadcasted by the revitalizing share markets, and let’s hope the journey doesn’t end with waking up to another pail of water.

But if there’s one business sector, which has taken the cold water with the “go get ‘em spirit”, it’s the telecom sector. The progress and the changes in the aforementioned sector have been astronomical, with new and cheaper technologies taking birth almost each year. Looking at the plans which drastically cut call rates to a mere fraction of the yesteryear rates and the mind-blowing improvements in technologies like 3G, one can only feel marveled. More companies have started entering this sector, and it is natural to expect further developments in the coming years.

In India, the government has played a big role in the telecom sector, through BSNL and MTNL, by providing low cost but good quality internet and telephone plans for the people, thus setting the bar for higher quality and lower cost. Now, initiatives are being taken for the increased use of technologies such as 3G, and you can be certain that such technologies will be placed within the economic grasp of everyone within a short period of time. Correspondingly, the mobile phone industry is also experiencing a parallel upward surge, and a parallel enhancement in technologies used. New operating systems such as the Android and innovative products such as the Apple iPhone have sent the sales of Smartphones soaring in the world.

Global Smartphone sales in the third quarter of 2010 hit record high of more than 81 million, accounting for 19.3% of the overall mobile phone sales in the quarter (Source: Yahoo.com).

The indication is clear: The eventual setting of boredom in man with his accomplishments and his basic tendency to communicate, act the same way as the petrol in the engine of a car: spurring him on forward. The very structure of the telecom and mobile phone industries exist in a way so as to accept new changes in the least amount of time. You can rest assured that you’ll get a text message from your mobile service provider, if not a phone call, to inform you of the newest service they have to offer. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’ve got a new phone to buy that came out in the market yesterday.

Image courtesy: http://www.merinews.com/article/telecom-boom-in-india/146743.shtml