Domino Effect: Compassion, Empathy And Loads Of Change

Posted on December 27, 2010 in Specials

By Sowmya Krishnamurthy:

Be the change you want to see in the world – Gandhi.

This over-used but very relevant quote summarizes how we can make things better. For ourselves. For the people around us. For a community. For a nation. For the whole world.

We don’t have to start with the world or even the nation. We could start with ourselves. Something that each individual can most definitely do. Unlike service to the society this doesn’t require huge time or money investments, just the willingness to be open and honest – to create a change small or big that can tornado into a movement. A domino effect!

“A chain reaction that occurs when a small change causes a similar change nearby, which then will cause another similar change, and so on in linear sequence”

Our thoughts have a great impact on how we feel, the way we view ourselves and the way we view others. Small things we do and say or don’t do & say every moment have the power to influence and inspire others & ourselves. Even the smallest of gestures & actions can leave a lasting impression. Everything has a pay-it-forward effect: Good or bad. Consciously or sub-consciously.

Work: The best employee is one who delivers nothing he himself would not use or nothing short of the best he would want for himself.

The integrity we have and the value we place in our work reflects in a workplace. One crappy employee demoralizes the team. But one great employee doubles or increases the productivity of those around him. Work ethic + accountability + productivity + quality + perfection make a great employee. A domino effect with a potential to inspire & create.

Money: Bribe v/s Tip. Bribe is when an individual demands something more than what he delivers. Tip is when an individual receiving service offers something extra rewarding the work.

There is more of bribery than tipping because the concept is often misunderstood. Taking shortcuts is probably the root cause of all evil here. If we pledge to tip hard working service men and decide not to reward greedy officials for mediocre work without thinking of the inconvenience it may cause us, it would be a good start. A domino effect of progress & development.

Kids: The best way to get kids to do what we want is by doing it ourselves first. Kids are little, amusing, entertainment mirrors.

If we want them to treat others and us in a certain way the easiest way is to  do it ourselves than just demanding it. The most effective way to pass on values is living by our own. A domino effect of long lasting rewards & contentment.

Service: The more we do it, the more it is done by those around.

One of the reasons why a street is unclean or why people spit or pee in public is that those that don’t greatly draw from the attitude and the actions of a neighborhood. The results might be slow but persistence & consistency pay off. A domino effect of goodness & greatness.

People: It is important to treat everyone the way we’d want to be treated ourselves without any prejudice.

Everytime someone is abused or mistreated the cause could be traced back to the way the abuser himself was treated. The point here is not to give a free pass out to those who abuse others; instead it is to empathize while being emphatic. A domino effect of compassion & empathy.

Hindu, Christian, Muslim, Sikh, Buddhist, Agnostic, Atheist – No matter what each person’s belief system is, everyone should follow this universal rule – “Treat others the way you would want to be treated”

Image courtesy.

• Tweets that mention Domino Effect: Compassion, Empathy And Loads Of Change #YKA -- Topsy.com
  • Sadhogopal Ram

Excellent piece, Sowmya Krishnamurthy. Very Romantic. I don’t know about others, but I totally echo each words in it. I just hope that you are what you are as a person too, as a writer of this you seem to appear to me. Because, otherwise, trust me, I as a reader as well as fellow human will be very disappointed. Very.

• Domino effect: What the world needs | Searching for my rhythm…
  • Similar Posts