By Vineeta Chawla:

One of the biggest menaces of the Indian society is the dowry system. This fact that it is condemned by every modern citizen of this country and yet it still flourishes at a very large scale in our society is a testimony of how deeply rooted this system is in the Indian society.

Dowry (dahej) is one of the most ancient practices of India and Oxford dictionary defines it as ‘an amount of property or money brought by a bride to her husband on their marriage’. But the origins of dowry are far nobler than we imagine. Dowry was started by wealthy businessmen, kings and other influential people of the society as a means to give girls their due in the ancestral property as in those times, even till recent times, all the money and property went to the sons only. Later on it was used to provide “seed money” or property for the establishment of a new household. Till then the amount and contents of dowry were decided solely by the parents of the bride.

But now dowry is demanded by the groom’s parents and marriage takes place only if a certain amount of dowry is paid by the bride’s parents. Today dowry is given as compensation to the groom’s parents for the amount they have spent in educating and upbringing their son. It is also considered a status symbol, especially in the high class, and generally the items of dowry are flaunted and hyped by both parties.

The effects of dowry system are many and varied but in almost all cases it is the girl’s side which has to face the repercussions while the boy’s side walks away from the issue unharmed, with their heads held high. When demands for dowry are not met, the bride is subject to torture, and often even killed. Most of the dowry deaths occur when the young women, unable to bear the harassment and torture, commit suicide. Most of these suicides are by hanging oneself, poisoning or by fire. Sometimes the woman is killed by setting her on fire which is known as ‘bride burning’ and is disguised as accident to avoid criminal charges and punishment.

The Indian police say that they receive over 2,500 reports of bride-burning alone every year while the number of dowry deaths is about 9000. These numbers increase at a rate of 1-2% every year. It is also a reason why many parents don’t want to have daughters, because of the dowry they will have to shell out at her marriage, and the stress they go through due to never-ending demands from her in-laws. In fact dowry deaths of a newly married bride are regularly in the news.

Bride price, also known as bride wealth, is a reversal of the dowry system. Its an amount of money or property paid by the groom or his family to the parents of a woman upon the marriage. In ancient literature, bride price has often been explained as payment made in exchange for the bride’s family’s loss of her labour and fertility within her kin group. The agreed bride price is generally intended to reflect the perceived value of the girl or young woman. This practice though less prevalent than dowry is still practiced in some rural areas of the country. But it is even worse than dowry as this practice thinks of girls as items that can be sold or bought.

The government has taken many steps to stop the abominable practice of dowry. The Dowry Prohibition Act, passed in 1961, prohibits the request, payment or acceptance of dowry, where “dowry” is defined as a gift demanded or given as a precondition for a marriage. Asking or giving of dowry can be punished by an imprisonment of up to six months, or a fine of up to Rs.5000. many anti-dowry legislations have also been made to tackle the dowry system. The media has also done its bit by showcasing the cases of dowry and its ill-effects.

Today dowry is not the innocent practice that it started out as but has turned into a social menace that cannot be reverted back to its original form; hence it must be eradicated from our society permanently.

Harvey Specter
Posted at 4:31 pm June 28, 2014
padma
Reply
Author

if conclusion is there it will be excellent over all it is nice

Harvey Specter
Posted at 7:52 pm January 30, 2014
adya00
Reply
Author

Hey, I like the thrust of the article, but could you elaborate on how dowry started as a noble thing?

Harvey Specter
Posted at 2:14 pm January 27, 2013
dk acharya
Reply
Author

guarented female education & 100% registering the marriage within 24 hours on line or manually without any cost to the bride or groom or their family –may bring down this problem –just try….

Harvey Specter
Posted at 3:55 pm September 26, 2012
shanu
Reply
Author

yeah i totally agree..
i jzt hope that dis article will b a revolution in awareness against dowry systm..

Harvey Specter
Posted at 3:09 pm September 2, 2012
kartik sharma………
Reply
Author

thanks ……thanks a lot because you shared your views on dowry system…….

Harvey Specter
Posted at 1:37 pm August 29, 2012
Ipsa Arora
Reply
Author

dowry started with a good intention but it has gradually taken a devastating turn in the society and for the society.

Harvey Specter
Posted at 11:19 pm August 20, 2012
Pranjal
Reply
Author

thank you for telling us the real defination. It just shows how people violate such noble causes inorder to benefit from it. Only when we think of marriage as union between two families and not as a act to earn money and benefit from it only then such pracices stop. Keeping a check is difficult hence teaching about its ill effects must take place. Whereever a show off is being made, income tax and various other departments must come into action to stop it. Only when strict laws are made and followed would the people understand the mistake they are doing.

Harvey Specter
Posted at 12:22 pm July 19, 2012
ashish
Reply
Author

really its totaly true ….today what a time .whts happening …..dowry dowry every where .i knw tht its a bad culture…again again…..going on

Harvey Specter
Posted at 9:05 pm July 15, 2012
Sandeep.C.Rai
Reply
Author

nice work,hope lots of more will join yka,best of luck

Harvey Specter
Posted at 11:33 am June 29, 2012
Binny
Reply
Author

I understand the whole concern about the social values that a woman holds in our society and the laws which are formed in order to protect her against few cruel intentions carried out by the groom side.But Not to neglect the other side of the mirror that there are many cases where Male part of the society are suffering through the same cause of misusing THE DOWRI LAWS OF INDIA. which is falling under 498A act and considered to be a criminal case. Knowing the law that there is no penalty for the misuse of IPC 498a, and after acquittal of the accused , the courts are reluctant to entertain defamation and perjury cases against the falsely testifying the witness.There are 65,000 accusations on male portion of society per year which are a large amount by the way. This act is being misused cause of many reasons like legal extortion, adultery, Domination in which brides gets to claim the property of the groom beyond his capability ( Bride is well being and an independent woman). And there are no counter judgments in the Indian laws in favor to the groom that he can prove himself innocent. Yet his life and his parents life is at steak. By the way I am also a woman but I have seen many cases around where this act has equally caused serious amount of harms to many family….What steps do we have against these greedy bunch of people with a very low self esteem.???

Harvey Specter
Posted at 11:26 am April 27, 2012
Saritha
Reply
Author

very nice . short and very sweet explanation

Harvey Specter
Posted at 6:23 pm February 28, 2012
vijayalakshmi
Reply
Author

thank you for telling the real definition of dowry and why it is started:)

Harvey Specter
Posted at 6:41 pm February 13, 2012
sunny
Reply
Author

awesome information given by u mam ……… i am a big fan of yours…….. :D

Harvey Specter
Posted at 2:04 pm November 10, 2011
kanika
Reply
Author

dowry is a very effective way. thank u for pasting such a good coment on it

Harvey Specter
Posted at 7:43 pm November 1, 2011
aklshita
Reply
Author

good and please continue .ALL INDIA IS WITH U.We r proud of u

Harvey Specter
    Posted at 8:01 pm November 3, 2011
    vimal paliwal
    Reply
    Author

thankyou for this article.

Harvey Specter
Posted at 4:38 pm October 30, 2011
kommineni
Reply
Author

its a good article .if seminars will be conducted and interacts with youth automatically this system is eradicated gradually.thanks for lot of information and did great job .

Harvey Specter
Posted at 9:16 pm October 20, 2011
kalpana
Reply
Author

thankyou very much about the dowry system information.wecan see to the article just some of the persons changed to the our thinkings so very important
matter given to them .great a job

Harvey Specter
Posted at 6:54 pm October 20, 2011
Delhi Hotels
Reply
Author

use full info nice article :)

Harvey Specter
Posted at 11:36 am September 27, 2011
rajeswari
Reply
Author

thanks for lot of information told for this system

Harvey Specter
Posted at 6:39 pm September 25, 2011
veer singh
Reply
Author

ver good articaly

Harvey Specter
Posted at 6:33 pm September 24, 2011
veesys
Reply
Author

thnks for good information about dowry system,this information is very helpful for us.i think pepole know about this thing bt they cant any action.

Harvey Specter
Posted at 2:03 pm September 24, 2011
ritika nagpal
Reply
Author

itz the reality of indian society…and u have done a vry grt job…by giving knowledge on dowry system….which can only b removed bt…by the youth

Harvey Specter
Posted at 10:00 am September 16, 2011
mohamed rayyan
Reply
Author

please send more information

Harvey Specter
Posted at 9:15 pm August 8, 2011
priya
Reply
Author

hi thank you to gave such a good knowledge about dowry system in India thank you.

Harvey Specter
Posted at 2:33 pm July 22, 2011
narendra kumar
Reply
Author

fact that it is condemned by every modern citizen of this country and yet it still flourishes at a very large scale in our society is a testimony of how deeply rooted this system is in the Indian society.

The effects of dowry system are many and varied but in almost all cases it is the girl’s side which has to face the repercussions while the boy’s side walks away from the issue unharmed, with their heads held high. When demands for dowry are not met, the bride is subject to torture, and often even killed. Most of the dowry deaths occur when the young women, unable to bear the harassment and torture, commit suicide. Most

Harvey Specter
Posted at 3:14 pm June 22, 2011
Shahbaz khan
Reply
Author

It is totally correct that dowry system of present time is wrong. In ancient time it was like a gift but now it has become a demand. The corrupt minded person do such kind of things. We should be aware about it….

Harvey Specter
Posted at 5:51 pm June 20, 2011
prachi
Reply
Author

its really the reality of Indian society , which needs changes to make it more better n new way to the new thinking n generation!!!!!!!!!

Harvey Specter
Posted at 12:33 am June 19, 2011
atul
Reply
Author

thank for think abouts the indian dowry system that the reality of our society

Harvey Specter
Posted at 11:54 am December 28, 2010
nika
Reply
Author

hello mam,
thanks for a great writing on dowry system but here we can write only on dowry system,but we can’t do any thing about change in this system………we can change living style but we cant change the thought level of people.on today date..parents discriminate .between boy and girl……why i m asking y?….