Is Religion Really An Ego Issue? 5 Reasons Why

Posted on January 11, 2011 in Shout Out

By Aditya Kumar Nayak:

1) Religion is Addiction

Perhaps one of the very few things that Marx got right is about religion. Religion is the opium of people. People are just addicted to it without realizing that its not benefitting them in anyway.

2) Religion is not Culture

From the day we are born, we are forced into a faith which is usually inherited from our parents. Our society pushes us into a particular religion saying that its our ‘culture’ and that one should know his roots.

Really? So, Religion is Culture? And all Atheists and Agnostics are not cultured?

3) What’s the point of religion

Religion was born out of a need to preserve the culture of the land whenever there was a cultural invasion. But what’s the point of religion today? Why do we have to go to a temple? Why do we need a pundit or a priest to do a puja? There is simply no reason why religions should exist today.

4) Then Why does it exist.

I feel that religion is more of an ego issue today. Other wise why would people fight over whose religion is better. And don’t tell me they actually mean it as if they have tried all religions in this world before declaring that their religion is the best in the world.

But for some, its just an escape. It’s a way of escaping real work in the name of god. God sent us over so that we can make a difference and make a this a better world. And one more convert or one less ‘kafir’ doesn’t make a better world. Religion is just an excuse for people who can’t to anything meaningful with their lives to think that they actually are doing something good and that god will be pleased with their actions.

5) God did not create religion. We did.

Whenever I debate a religions guy or someone who is into religions, my first question is always about, ‘Why do we need religion?’ And its always answered by ‘to connect with god’. Oh really?

Did god create religion? Or did he ask us to connect with him through these beliefs? Then why do we need religions as middle men?

I say we don’t, and it is time we throw this pointless concept out of our lives.

“Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

Religions have only done us harm. Look around you and every conflict that is happening today in the world is because of religion. Terrorism is there largely because, religion is there. Every war has had an involvement of religion in one way or another.

Religions as a whole are a problem of the world and not any one religion. The whole concept of religion is flawed and defied all logic. Otherwise why would we worship something despite knowing that it is only going to do us harm.

It is time for religion to go. It is time for some sanity in this world. It is time.

PS: I don’t have any reason and evidence to either deny or prove the existence of god. However, I would personally like to believe that there is a higher power. But religions are certainly not affiliated to it in anyway.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you’d have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things, but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion. — Steven Weinber

Image courtesy.

The writer blogs at adityakumarnayak.com on Youth, Change, India. In his own words, he is a libertarian, student, Indian , Free Spirited Backpacker, Capitalist, Aspirin Social ChangeMaker, Entrepreneur & Thinker. Loves Oratory & Hates Conventions.

Ahjii0187

Great article and in some ways I agree. However, as Mr. Weinber expressed with or without religion we would still have people doing good and bad things, I agree. However, get rid of religion and ego itself will find another excuse to carry out it’s ill will. Social and economic status could replace it and 2% of the world will opress the other 98%. It will never stop. Ego is ultimately the problem and it is also the solution. Through understanding the Universe and ourselves better religion will be dissolved into One truth (all of mankind is part of a Whole called the Universe), however, this information must be taught to the masses so that everyone will know that One truth (as mankind is part of a Whole called the Universe, mankind is but one community). Peace and blessings.

Shushant Mojumdar

1.Religion is addiction whats
wrong in it are we not addicted to harmful things like drugs, alcohol,
smoking and violence for some sports and other recreation then why not
religion??? How can you say no one is benefited out it have you ever
tried? but you just want to get rid off it?
2.Ok if it is not culture or for that matter how does a atheist or agnostic decides what is wrong what is right?

3.Point of religion is same to answer the most important question which
no other education or science can explain ie. Who you are? what is the
origin? what is morality? who is God? what is the purpose of life? and
other vital questions ? If you answer all that question by any other way
it should be reasonable and with logic
4. It will
always exist because its the most important thing and simple question
can man live without God?And true religion teaches the correct way to
work with honesty and not escape from them
5.God did not create religion yes you are right in one way but wrong in other way. Yes originally God created on true religion but all other are counterfeit now the question lies there are so many duplicates that we are confused that whether true religion exists or not?
And now your Blaise Pascal quote I tell you what evil or good can only be defined by a religious person and not an atheist or agnostic should not have anything called good or evil so therefore only religious person is convicted under evil or good
And your comment that your not sure God exist or not? And if he exist all his laws and regulations should be one true religion and all others should be false but there should be one true religion?