The Curious Case Of The Missing Rivers [River Restoration In India]

Posted on January 11, 2011 in unEarthed

By S Mithun Ganesh:

The praised Saraswati river of Vedas and Epics is nowhere to be seen now. It actually brings in a doubt whether the epics and Vedas are true? The archaeological department comes to the rescue of our Vedas and they lead us further deep into the missing river’s case. Saraswati like the Sindhu river, ran across 1800 miles and it is found to have delivered in Gujarat’s Kutch district. Even the Sindhu river is considered as a branch of the Sarawati river. Exciting news is the place drenched by the river once is now the location of India’s Thar Desert. But archaeological department has found out that 4000 years ago, there was an civilization much before the much celebrated Indus Valley Civilization. Even Rig Veda says that the civilization was flooded with milk and honey. Government Information System departments have confirmed the existence of the river with satellites that are capable of traversing through the lands. The archaeological department finishes that around 1900 BC, due to earthquakes and other natural calamities, the river became extinct. Thus we lost one of the important rivers of India.

Apart from the natural calamities, there are other artificial calamities. Even the paradise of nature’s bounty, Himachal Pradesh is not an exception. The state has estimated to get 23000 MW of power through hydel projects. As a result the four Himachal river basins — Ravi, Beas, Sutlej and Chenab basins are filled with about 400 hydel projects and there are plans for more. Another 600 projects are waiting for allotments. This will definitely spell doom for the rivers. These projects can result in long stretches of rivers getting dry. Though the government has appointed a committee to review the projects to prevent environmental destruction, there are private sectors which can buy even justice for money. If the projects turn up, then we can expect a successor to the throne — Paradise of nature’s bounty.

The businesses involved in the destruction of the rivers were considered in the previous paragraph. If you think that is worse, there is a even worse scenario in the southern states. There are regular fights between states on the issue of ownership of a river. To prove the ownership, one state blocks the river while the other stops the power supply being provided to the neighbor. This problem not only occurs within borders, even across borders. Pakistan now accuses India of having reduced river flow to their nation through unauthorized projects. The new saying among Pakistani’s is “Let water flow or face war”.

Though the Pakistani viewpoint cannot be agreed blindly, we cannot deny the fact that we are destructing our rivers. So let the saying among Indians be “Let water flow or face death”. The need of the hour is river restoration, which if not practiced, could lead to the next big war.

Image courtesy.

Dr. Mohinder Slariya

Dear Mithum

very good, one comment only:

We have to re-think on the planning adn policies of development again and re-planned every developmental concerns and by saving the natural gifts of nature including rivers for the sake of development and alongwith development our “Mother Rivers” are cry for restoration and asking questions from sons that why you all are expoliting me to the extent from where it might not be repaired.

so, time has come and we should come together to save our rivers from the hands of so-called planner/developers and give them a shape from where we can use them for development with sustainable futuristic approach.

WIth a new hope…………….

Mohinder slariya Ph.D.
Environmental Sociologist

KutchScience

How we can avoid flooding disasters in Gangetic plains and Sapta Sindhu regions !

Dear friends of History, Science, Irrigation, Engineering, Archaeology & Agriculture,

I will be happy to provide MORE detailed all information and data you wish to share for the publications in the media for the awareness of the issues on water regulations during the change of weather, floods and famines.

Surely I am writing up the issue on scientific bases and how we can avoid by taking measures of shifting water by canals to area of scarcity of water and reduce the effect of rain flooding. As it is happening now in the regions of INDUS (Sapta SINDHU) and Gangetic plains & in Yamuna.

But it is minor flooding in the reality. As this year Monsoon is just as Good monsoon and not a abnormal cycle of Monsoon.

If The 1819 EarthQuake BLOCKED channels are reopened by canals (say river of MITHI and to LAKHPAT) flooding problems in SINDH will be solved and Not ONLY that but also will be water help to those people. But Need to be open minded and share the water of SINDHU with a international treaty on Humanitarian grounds. AND ITS ALWAYS give by one HAND TAKE with Otherhand.

Areas affected by floodings has different regions ranging from Thar Desert to SALT RANN of KUTCH to CHERAPUNDJI where 400” rains every year on average. I f we can divert those rain water to other rivers of dry region and perform a network of canals joining the rivers of all India, not only we divert flood waters but also provide water for areas scarcity. Also in case of flooding area can be saved of such disasters happening now.

Also these water channels will make water ways for transport of goods to save energy and reduce carbon dioxide. Also helps to increase productions of agriculture and food scarcity will be eliminated. Will also help hydroelectric projects to produce energy, instead of wasting such water during overflows.

Originally Dr Vishwesharaiya had a thinking of such canal system when he designed the KrishnaSagar dam in Mysore during the time of British colonial time. but later it was put on a side with independence. but now we should rethink of it

Weather pattern runs in cycles of floods/famine of 30-40 years and world weather cycle of 120 years (accordingly based on the scientific tree ring study – wider rings in tree in good rain and narrow in droughts time) – I have all data in my library. And based to that 120 years cycle is approaching in next decade. So we have to be prepared during this decade and also that will be helpful to regulate water in floods and droughts.

[email protected] 35 km North of Delhi, YAMUNA River ground level=211 meters from sea level

The Baghpat city is located on the banks of river Yamuna at 28 deg 57′ North Latitude and 77 deg 13′ East Longitude. It is 52 KM from Meerut City and is on the main Delhi–Saharanpur Highway around 40 KM from Delhi.

Presently we have few canals from those places but not for divert the water but to agriculture purpose. We can not use those canals as those regions are already flooded. We need BIG CANALS to divert this river flow to right places by Canal network. We can do as required if we have these system of canal network in position. But unluckily we are not prepared yet.

RIVER KHARI @ DISA Banaskantha River ground level =114 meters from sea level and the DISTANCE 709 Km giving a 97 meter height difference (giving a slope/gradient of canal about 14.6 cm /km)

DISHA is located on the banks of Khari river at 24 deg 15′ North Latitude and 72 deg 09′ East Longitude.

RIVER KHARI @ SIHORI 45 km south of DISA River ground level =70 meters from sea level & the DISTANCE 754 Km will give more gradient to the canal from Bagpat giving a 1.5 times height difference of 141 meter (giving a slope of canal about 18.7 cm /km) further 40 km south near RADHANPUR ground level reach to only 40 meters from sea level to give even better gradient about 21.5 cm /km slope of for the canal.

Here we are using all gravitational water diversions only and save energy and utilising water in proper way.

Present Indus flooding is also due to miss management of the water flows of the river and trying to tame the river waters. 4500 years ago Harappa and MohenjoDaro civilisation also used the correct way to keep the flow in most efficient way so as to avoid flooding. They used canals to divert water to reservoirs and kept the river water flow clear without obstruction.

Presently we have obstructed natural water flows of rivers and obstructed to make more flooding. If we see the present situation in Indus and Gangatic plains we see the water flow have been obstructed and that have cause the flooding in the areas of river banks.

In the Harappa region

HARAPPA Ground level 166m from sea level and presently most of the area is under the rain water as Indus river flow is obstructed and can not drain the flood water around the ground.

Mohejo daro Ground level 56 m from sea level and presently just 1km from the 25 km wide of river burst.

Though this is only just a sample of rain cycle in 80 years time. Not as wild monsoon to destroy the civilisation as it has happened in the past with Mohenjodaro.

To support all those finding I have a huge library of 50000+ books and data of weather and rain and droughts. And I have from KUTCH desert to CHARAPUNJI information in records.

Also I have samples of AIR quality trapped in air bubbles in side the ancient IRON SMELTING FROTHS of hardpan time 4500 years before, to compare with present time air quality.

Word green Famine is used when there is a plenty of rain but if it cause a scarcity of crops or food. Reasons may be floods, destroyed crops, less sunlight due to high rain and clouds – crops fail or less productive or even washed away, destroyed food grains as wet damp weather or rain water may decay those food stores.

As in areas of floods in PAKISTAN INDUS region is happening there, that may happen in GANGETIC plains as those area has less slopes in river drains in Northern India. (less likely in Southern as is mountain area and river slope is good in gradient to drain all water quickly)

HARAPPA Mohejo daro has been underwater in floods of SINDHU before 4500 years ago. see present satellite pictures of flooding as on 24August 2010

Present Indus flooding is due to miss management of the water flows of the river and trying to tame the river waters. 4500 years ago Harappa and MohenjoDaro civilisation used the correct way to keep the flow in most efficient way so as to avoid flooding. They used canals to divert water to reservoirs and kept the river water flow clear without obstruction. Presently we have obstructed natural water flows of rivers and obstructed to make more flooding. If we see the present situation in Indus and Gangatic plains we see the water flow have been obstructed and that have cause the flooding in the areas of river banks.

In the Harappa region

HARAPPA, Mohejo daro has been underwater in floods of SINDHU before 4500 years ago

Mohejo daro Ground level 56m from sea level and present near flood water of river (River bank burst to 25 to 30 Kms ad just close to the Cilisation, any more flooding will cover the area)
Location:

Mohenjodaro

Latitude 27°19’N

Longitude 68°07’E

Harappa

Latitude 30.6222222° (30°37’47” N)

Longitude 72.8638889° (72°51’40” E)

HARAPPA Ground level 166m from sea level and presently most of the area is under the rain water as swollen Indus river flow is obstructed and can not drain the flood water around the ground.

Weather pattern runs in cycles of floods/famine of 30-40 years and world weather cycle of 120 years (accordingly based on the scientific tree ring study – wider rings in tree in good rain and narrow in droughts time) – from the data in our library. And based to that 120 years cycle is approaching in next decade. So we have to be prepared during this decade and also that will be helpful to regulate water in floods and droughts.

Present situation is not the perfect green Famine, there is a plenty of rain but if it cause a scarcity of crops or food. Reasons may be floods, destroyed crops, less sunlight due to high rain and clouds – crops fail or less productive or even washed away, destroyed food grains as wet damp weather or rain water may decay those food stores.

As in areas of floods in PAKISTAN INDUS region is happening there, that may happen in GANGETIC plains as those area has less slopes in river drains in Northern India. (Less likely in Southern as is mountain area and river slope is good in gradient to drain all water quickly)

Recorded available data of KUTCH

Civilisation like DHOLAVIRA, Kuran, Kanmer, BHADLI KOTADA etc has highly developed Irrigation engineering architect. as with the canal water was diverted to right places in reservoirs and in a perfect gradient all reservoirs filled one by one by gravitation. Not only was that, at that time droughts were in the cycle. Though we name those as Saraswati civilisation but in fact Saraswati river bed was lifted higher and was dry river bed. Else they do not make such water irrigation system to fulfil the demands in water scarcity.

NOT ONLY that Each reservior has a WELL in the Bottom of the reservior so as when the reservior becomes empty water in the deep well in the bottom of the reservior can be used (as we do in our village water lakes).

There has been records of two cycles of weather in KUTCH. though a mini cycle of 3 years of good and bad rain is known as short term periods as we are aware of in our regular life time.

But a major cycle of droughts an very Good Rain cycle are different e.g. 40 years of cycles of major droughts (e.g. 1, CHHAPANO Vikram sanvant 1956= 1900AD and 2, 1940 KUTCH FAMINE

CHHANAVO Vikram sanvant 1996= 1940AD) affecting most parts of western Monsoon system and also has Good Monsoon of 30 years cycle. both of those weather cycles falls in 120 years world weather cycle studied scientifically with rings in tree trunks. as good rain makes a ring wider expanding growth and narrows in famines. (30×4 cycle=120 years=3×40 cycle)

CHHAPANO 1956 VS= 1900/01 famine has been recorded in major parts of the world tree records. and if cycle is repeating after 120 years Major world dropout is possible in next few years after next decade!

(1744 to 1823) 80 years = 2×40 years cycle) population dropped 65%

Year 1744 Population was about 10 00 000 and People migrated to KUTCH BHUVAD, HALA, VAGAD and ANJAR from Saurashtra and HALAR

Year 1900 Population dropped due to FAMINE of CHHAPANO (Vikram sanvant 1956= 1900AD)
Year 1901 Population dropped to 4 88 000 (12%) due to FAMINE of CHHAPANO (Vikram sanvant 1956= 1900AD)

(1821 to 1901 = 80 years = 2×40 years cycle)

Dr. BHUDIA Science Group Of INDIA
President:’Kutch Science Foundation’.
Founder :’Kutch Amateurs Astronomers Club – Bhuj – Kutch’.
Life Member:’kutch Itihaas Parishad’.
in.groups.yahoo.com/group/kutchscience
in.groups.yahoo.com/group/kachchh

Do visit our ABOVE Clubs/Groups of Science Groups of India.

Science Groups

From: kutchsciencefoundation

Present advanced mapping system can show details under the sea waters. e.g. land features under sea can be seen including continental ridges under water in the Bottom of the sea. e.g. INDO AFRICAN continental ridge in the bottom of the ARABIAN and Indian ocean. This separated Indian continental plate from Africa and Madagascar. and drive the India continental plate north to Asian plate to unite with Asian continental plate to form a HIMALAYAN mountain range at the union of Indo Asian UNION of the plates.

Since last 10000 years since melting of the ICE of the Last ice age, West of Gujarat and west of India is submerged 170 to 200 meters under the sea water of the Arabian Sea. This covers hundreds of kilometers from the sea shore at present. In recent oceanography by Indian oceanology found two vast cities bigger and ever older than DHOLAVIRA dating back to 9500 (7500BC) years old (4500 years older than Dholavira and 5000 years older than Pyramids of Egypt.) submerged under this Arabian sea water in the area of CAMBAY- KHAMBAHT.

All this myths were neglected before but now need to rewrite the history of human civilisation and reversing the theory of ARYAN INVESION correcting to Aryan were from Indian and gone all over the world. Recently genetic study has shown that ESKIMOES are not American, now proved that ALASKAN Eskimos are not from American genes but from Asian – Indian origin.

Recently MARUDA TAKKAR a bet in the middle of the Salt RANN of KUTCH has a oldest port of the world dating back to 20000 years old which is 15000 years older than the oldest civilisation of worlds DHOLAVIRA and PYRAMID of EGYPT (real name of EGYPY is MUDRAYA)

we also can sea the remnant of valley of INDUS river MOUTH under sea waters of Arabian sea before the ICE age time, which is now submerged in sea water of Arabian sea. (Marked with “R” in map and land submerge under the sea water marked with “i”)

if pictuers are not sean here are attached with this email.

1)There are many questions raised about River Saraswati.doc,

2) India UNDER SEA.jpg,

3) Kharaghoga to Nal sarovar to BAY OF KHAMBHAT via LOTHAL.jpg,

4) GUJARAT costal line was a LAND before10000 years ago.jpg

There are many questions raised about River Saraswati. Where was the River Saraswati in KUTCH RANN AREA and Wahat was the further course of the river to the Arabian Sea?

River SAPTA SINDHU was flowing to Arabian Sea near SINDH area, AND flowing to ARABIAN SEA via a deep river valley through the DELTA AREA , which is still under the shallow Arabian sea water as marked in map. And one of its BRANCHES was opening to the NORTH OF the RANN OF KUTCH near LAKHPAT and Kori creak area which was a part of river delta at that time like a HUGE GANGA DELTA AREA in bay of BANGAL.

Map area shadowed, showing the shallow sea area (around and up to around 100 meter deep is under Arabian shallow sea water) which was a fertile land and as the sea level raised it went under the sea waters in last 10000 years duration.

Saraswati, Originating from Himalayan SHIVALIK range area, draining to PUSHKAR to RANN OF KUTCH, though the course of the river change time to time with seismic activity. And has many tributaries (Gaggar Hakar- SARKARA etc). One of the tributary was MITHI from SINDH area. Other was KHARI from RAJASTHAN desert area and even SARASWATI of Prabhas PATAN (sediments of 18250 years back as in Indian archaeological survey Journal 1961 and 1968) was joining the main river drainage. RANN OF KUTCH is part of those river delta and sediments are proofs of the time scale.

YOU CAN DOWNLOAD SAVE this REPORT

http://asi.nic.in/nmma_reviews/Indian%20Archaeology%201970-71%20A%20Review.pdf

When ever it has been explained that MADHAPAR of BHUJ is as old as STONE age human civilisation, Many doubts has been raised about the statements and NONE has tried to see the records at LOCAL Archaeology office BHUJ BRANCH of the government of GUJARAT. And Many a times My statements explained that harapan human settlement nearest to BHUJ is MADHAPAR.

Page 21

Exploration and Excavation report from Archaeological society of INDIA MADHAPAR BHUJ is LATE STONE AGE and Historical

Page 80

PATAN DISTRICT MAHESANA GUJARAT

TF – 1047 – SEDIMENTS 20215+/- 325 (18256BC)

SHELLS FROM A 0 -5 M THICK BED, THE STRATIGRAPHY OF WHICH IS NOT CLEAR

1. Shivalik Hills: altitude varying between 900 to 2300 meters. These hills are the source of the rivers like Saraswati, Ghaggar, Tangri and Markanda. Parts of Panchkula, Ambala and Yamunanagar districts.
2. Ghaggar Yamuna Plain: Divided in 2 parts – the higher one is called ‘Bangar’ and the lower ‘Khadar’. This alluvium plain is made up of sand, clay, silt and hard calcareous balls like gravel known locally as kankar.
3. Semi-desert sandy plain: This area includes the districts of Sirsa and parts of Hissar, Mahendergarh, Fatehbad, Bhiwani and shares border with Rajasthan.
4. Aravali hills: This is a dry irregular hilly area.

The lake was formed in GREAT RANN and LITTLE RANN of KUTCH with Major part of the waters from SARASWATI AND SAPTA SINDHU coming to LAKHPAT area. Kutch was a ISLAND between the rivers and lake on NORTH and Eastern part. While SOUTH WESTERN was Arabian sea. Kutch And Saurashtra was joined by land with the water filled lake in LITTLE RAN of KUTCH. From SAMAGHOGHA (Samaghogha presently Soltified by salty waters of bay of KUTCH) the Saraswati river water flow darning to wards the NAL SAROWAR which is low land area at the moment (9 to 15 meter present elevation due to seismic uplifts) From the NAL SAROWAR one branch south eastern flown via LOTHAL to present BAY of KHAMBHAT, which was a fertile river delta LAND area and a Huge agricultural city was (9500 years back) there , which is now under shallow sea waters in bay of Khambhat.

Table 1 Harappa Chronology

Period

Era

Years

Period 1

Ravi aspect of the Hakra Phase

3300 BC – c. 2800 BC

Period 2

Kot Diji (Early Harappa) Phase

c. 2800 BC – c. 2600 BC

Period 3A

Harappa Phase A

c. 2600 BC – c. 2450 BC

Period 3B

Harappa Phase B

c. 2450 BC – c. 2200 BC

Period 3C

Harappa Phase C

2200 BC – c. 1900 BC

Period 4

Harappa/Late Harappa Transitional

c. 1900 BC – c. 1800 BC(?)

Period 5

Late Harappa Phase

c. 1800 BC (?) – <1300 BC

40 km long channel cut into delta presumably trying to tame this huge and very beautiful river delta.

/attach/a6d4f9658fee22e9/cl-01-09-07-140618488.kmz?gda=hRY-bUcAAABcQgpZa9whp98PVS126xSJ4gWZy0dultYQtmFn5djFwJY0SMT2Ou7yd2mB1ZKziK8bQwFxJw55cVwemAxM-EWmeV4duv6pDMGhhhZdjQlNAw&view=1&part=3

On the northern part of Mound AB (Figure 1) excavations in 1996 were undertaken in both the Ravi (Hakra) Phase (Period 1: 3300-2800 BC) and the Kot Diji Phase (Period 2: 2800-2600 BC) occupation levels. In 1998 – 2000 a much larger horizontal exposure was made of both Ravi and Kot Diji levels. During the Ravi and Kot Diji Phases various aspects of settlement structure, specialized technologies, and socio-economic networks were developed and became the foundation for later urban structure of the Harappa Phase (Kenoyer and Meadow 1999).

The Ravi Phase village was probably divided into two parts, with one part along the northern edge of what is now Mound AB and the other at the northwest corner of Mound E, the two separated by a low-lying area (Figure 1). The earliest architectural structures appear to have been huts oriented north-south and east-west made of wooden posts with walls of plastered reeds. Some mud-brick fragments of what may be a kiln have been found, but no complete mud-brick architecture has been found to date.

The earliest pottery at Harappa (Period 1A) are entirely hand-built shapes with a range of decoration from plain to polychrome (Figure 2). Some vessels have a coarse appliqué on the exterior made from clay and calcium carbonate nodules. Towards the end of the Ravi Phase (Period 1B), the potter's wheel began to be used, resulting in new and diverse vessel forms and rim shapes. Some of these forms became the basis for the pottery of the Kot Diji Phase.

Figure 1: Harappa Excavation Areas: 2000
Harappa

Harappa was an Indus civilization urban center. It lies in Punjab Province, Pakistan, on an old bed of the River Ravi.

From :- Dr. Incharge

Science Group of INDIA

President:'Kutch Science Foundation'.
Founder :'Kutch Amateurs Astronomers Club – Bhuj – Kutch'.
Life Member:'kutch Itihaas Parishad'.
in.groups.yahoo.com/group/scienceclubofindia
in.groups.yahoo.com/group/kutchscience
in.groups.yahoo.com/group/kachchh
in.groups.yahoo.com/group/bhuj