Top 10 NGOs Of India

By Gururaj Rao:

NGOs have been constantly working day-in and day-out to solve various problems concerning children, women, senior citizens, environment etc. Here are the top 10 NGOs who have truly worked in the best possible manner after taking up a particular cause.

1) Sammaan Foundation-

The purpose of establishing Sammaan foundation (Jan 25, 2007) was empowering the downtrodden and linking them with the main stream through education, training and financial support. More specifically, at the moment, Sammaan is working towards organizing the rickshaw-pulling class of people by providing them with opportunities to earn their livelihood. It is taking giant strides in areas like women empowerment, health services, employment generation, micro credit and children’s education. (click to know more)

2) Goonj-

Goonj’s mission is to solve the clothing problems of the underprivileged. It was the recipient of the NGO of the year award in 2007 at the India NGO Awards. The various initiatives of Goong are-

Vastra Samman- Goonj believes that reusing old clothes can help solve the clothing problem of the poor.
Not just a piece of cloth- Goonj has been striving to establish partnerships between rural and rich urban schools.
Rahat Floods- Goonj initiates Rahat floods annually for collect relief material during floods to aid affected victims in West Bengal, Assam and Bihar.
Rahat Winters- Similar to Rahat floods, Goonj initiates Rahat winters every year to solve the problem of winter clothing of the underprivileged. (click to know more)

3) Akshaya Trust-

The mission of Akshaya trust is to care for the helpless, forsaken, mentally ill, old, sick and the road side destitute who live in Madurai. This is accomplished by providing love and affection, healthy food, rehabilitation opportunities. Their sole aim is to restore human dignity. (click to know more)

4) Smile Foundation-

Formed in 2002, the Smile foundation comprises corporate professionals who had a target of providing universal education and healthcare services to the underprivileged thereby changing their lives forever. They aim to set the foundation for nation building by making the downtrodden emerge as productive assets.

5) Udaan Welfare Foundation-

The Udaan Welfare foundation was formed with a mission to empower lives of the downtrodden. Their main areas of focus are children, destitute women, senior citizens and environment protection. Till date, they have launched various health and education initiatives involving children and destitute women. They even have a cancer chemotherapy centre as one of their main projects.

6) Pratham-

Pratham is one of the largest NGO which works towards educating the underprivileged children in the slums of Mumbai. Their team comprises people from various fields who expertly bring their experiences and own unique perspectives and work together to create a bright future for our children. The programs of Pratham are designed in such a way that enrolment of children in schools increases, their learning levels increase and those people who are unable to attend school receive education receive it in a proper manner.

7) LEPRA Society-

LEPRA society actively promotes quality health care through various initiatives. It aims to support various health programmes in the prevention and control of diseases like AIDS, Leprosy, and Tuberculosis etc. Their programmes are mainly focussed to communities which are poor comprising women and children.

8 ) Deepalaya-

Deepalaya is a development-based NGO which works on issues pertaining to the poor and the downtrodden, especially children. It has successfully made inroads into slums of Delhi and initiated rural development in Haryana and Uttarakhand. It works in collaboration with both governmental and non-governmental agencies and makes interventions in the state’s policy making. Their areas of focus include education, healthcare, gender equality, vocational training, empowering other NGOs which have the same vision and upliftment of the differently-abled.

9) Uday Foundation-

Based in New Delhi, the Uday foundation provides support to the families of children suffering from critical disorders, congenital defects and other diseases and syndromes which affects their health, growth and education. It has launched various health related projects for the common man in general. Their special focus is child rights i.e. providing a right to live with dignity. It is more of a parents support group who tackle the problem of saving the lives of the future of our country. They also support research to develop new healthcare technologies.

10) HelpAge India-

HelpAge India, since its establishment in 1978 has constantly been striving to raise resources to protect the rights of senior citizens of our country. They are involved with the local and national government to implement policies which will be beneficial to the elderly. Their objective is to make the senior citizens aware of their rights so that they can play an active role in the society. To accomplish this, they are also working constantly to make the society aware of the concerns regarding the elderly and also promoting better understanding of similar issues.

Image courtesy.

Like what you read? Receive our hand-picked top posts in your inbox!