Choosing A Hobby: Need And The Changing Trends!

Posted on February 3, 2011 in Exclusive

By Shivani Bhatnagar:

“What are your hobbies?” All of us have been asked this question on numerous occasions. A hobby is an activity or interest that is undertaken for pleasure or relaxation, typically done during one’s leisure time.

A decade ago, people would have answered this question by saying ‘watching TV, listening to music, playing games or reading’. On the contrary, owing to the ever-increasing exposure and diversification of personality of the masses, one hears ‘learning new languages, dance styles, playing different musical instruments, blogging, writing, outdoor adventures etc’ as the emerging hobbies.

It’s easy to pick a hobby — right? Wrong! Research shows that along with lack of leisure time and financial constraints, indecision and confusion are cited as one of the main reasons that people don’t have a hobby. Also, people try to pick up “different” hobbies in order to not follow the crowd. Although, by seeking unconventional hobbies, one’s horizon is expected to expand and the awareness of the abundance of hobbies is likely to increase, but, hunting down unusual hobbies only for the sake of being different from the others appears pointless.

What is absolutely essential to know and understand is that it’s not quantity but quality that matters – while picking up a hobby. By trying out just a couple of activities, one is likely to spark a creative imagination in oneself that will provide the fuel to drive to seek more and better ideas. Also imperative to know is one’s area of interest. Doing something that you dislike doing in your leisure time is a complete waste.

Those who enjoy hobbies on a regular basis know how important they are to peace of mind and personal well being. Having a hobby allows you to acquire new skills and discover your hidden talents. Hobbies also enhance self-esteem and self-confidence.

For those of you who don’t have a hobby yet:

Hurry and find yourself a hobby!

Better late than never!

Image courtesy.

• Tweets that mention Choosing A Hobby: Need And The Changing Trends! | Youth Ki Awaaz: Mouthpiece for the Youth -- Topsy.com
  • Moon_garg

Very true to the ground is the fact that hobbies form an indispensable part of our lives.Agreeing with the writer that hobby should be interest driven rather than attention driven,i also believe that a hobby should be pursued seriously not only as a time pass activity or relaxation tool.

vineeta

Sometimes finding a hobby is easy while it difficult to keep to it up.