Reservation: Understanding The Past, Present And Solutions [RESEARCH]

Tweet
Add an opinion

By Sumedha Upadhyay:

We live in a free country and this freedom is a gift of democracy to us. Our constitution gives us the right to freedom and most importantly to exercise this freedom in an equitable manner. At the same time it is incumbent on the part of the state to ensure that equality prevails in all sections of the society.

However in today’s time one of the major roadblocks to this equality is the Reservation System.

India being a developing nation is currently facing many challenges and the reservation system being one of them. The biggest question that lies in front of us is whether implementing this reservation system has really helped the downtrodden?  The current scenario clearly depicts that the ‘lower’ castes are still discriminated in their daily lives. To uproot casteism it is important that we fight the reservation system which alone will lead us to development, competency, equality and unity.

The reservation system finds its origin in the age-old caste system of India. The caste system at its birth was meant to divide people on the basis of their occupation like teaching and preaching (Brahmins), kingship and war (Kshatriya) and lastly business(vaish) etc. but soon it became an instrument to divide the society on caste-basis, creating various walls between different sections of the society. Today we stand divided widely into Hindu, Muslim, SC, ST & OBCs with newer reservations coming up for other different sections of the society like Christians, Kashmiris, Jats, Kashmiri Pandits, Tribals etc.

Firstly we need to understand that the reservation system only divides the society leading to discrimination and conflicts between different sections. It is oppressive and does not find its basis in casteism. It is actually the antithesis of a communal living.

Currently, as per the government policy, 15% of the government jobs and 15% of the students admitted to universities must be from Scheduled castes and for the Scheduled tribes there is a reservation of about 7.5 %. Other than this, the state governments also follow their own reservation policies respectively based upon the population constitution of each state. So nearly 50% seats are reserved.

The Mandal commission was established in 1979 by the central government to identify the socially or educationally backward people. It was also set up to consider the question of seat reservations and quotas for people to redress caste discrimination. It used social, economic, and educational indicators to determine backwardness. But today are these reservations actually being utilized on the above mentioned factors? The answer is prima facie ‘NO’ because the benefits are being stolen away by the creamy layer.

The 93rd Constitutional Amendment allows the government to make special provisions for “advancement of any socially and educationally backward classes of citizens”, including their admission in aided or unaided private educational institutions. Gradually this reservation policy is to be implemented in private institutions and companies as well. This move led to opposition from non-reserved category students, as the proposal reduced seats for the General (non-reserved) category from the existing 77.5% to less than 50.5% (since members of OBCs are also allowed to contest in the General category).

Article 15(4) of our constitution empowers the government to make special provisions for advancement of backward classes. Similarly Article 16 provides for equality of opportunity in matters of employment or appointment to any post under the State.

“Clause 2 of article 16 lays down that no citizen on grounds of religion, race, caste, sex, descent, place of birth, residence or any of them be discriminated in respect of any employment or office under the State.”

However clause 4 of the same article provides for an exception by conferring a certain kind of power on the government:

“it empowers the state to make special provision for the reservation of appointments of posts in favour of any backward class of citizens which in the opinion of the state are not adequately represented in the services”

Thus two conditions have to be satisfied:

1. The class of citizens is backward
  2. The said class is not adequately represented.

In a case Balaji v/s State of Mysore (AIR 1963 SC649) it was held that ‘caste of a person cannot be the sole criteria for ascertaining whether a particular caste is backward or not. Determinants such as poverty, occupation, place of habitation may all be relevant factors to be taken into consideration. The court further held that it does not mean that if once a caste is considered to be backward it will continue to be backward for all other times. The government should review the test and if a class reaches the state of progress where reservation is not necessary it should delete that class from the list of backward classes.’

What is surprising is that our constitution clearly is a reservation-friendly constitution but nowhere in the constitution is the term ‘backward classes defined. What actually constitutes a backward class? What are the determinants of a backward class? These questions remain unanswered and it is only with the help of judicial pronouncements that they have been given some meaning. Question arises how can reservations be made for something that has not been defined?

Today when a student applies for an admission in any university, the admission forms are filled with questions like ‘Are you SC/ST or OBC or General Category?’ How does it matter which category does he belong to, what matters is his merit. A category cannot decide whether he is eligible for admission or not. There many economically worse off children belonging to the forward classes but they cannot get the fruits of such reservation merely by virtue of belonging to the ‘general’ category. Sometimes these children belonging to the backward classes do not even deserve and still possess the necessary merit as against a child who studied very hard for months to get a seat, thereby snatching away that seat just because he comes from a particular religion or caste for which our government provides reservation.

Reservation should be purely made on the basis of the economical conditions of the applicant and nothing else. The kind of reservation policy that our government currently follows does nothing but divide the society into different sections.

When the then HRD minister Mr. Arjun Singh introduced 27.5% reservation for OBC in centrally funded educational institutes including IIMs and IITs a petition was moved to the President and the Prime Minister stating that such a reservation will take India back from where she is today. Further “everyone understands the need for all sections of the Indian Society to get an opportunity to be a part of this economy but reservation based on caste is not an answer to this. These policies have been in India since the last 50 years and they have failed to meet their objectives. The government should go into the reasons of the failure. Many students don’t make it to the institutes because of the economic reasons and those who do not fall in the reservation criteria don not get a fair opportunity too”.

To remove this evil it suggested the following:

1. Make education mandatory and free for all till age of 15
  2. Propose reservation based on economic status
  3. Provide opportunity to students to earn while they study.

Instead of introducing reservations for these backward classes what is required is to bring about revolutionary changes in our education system at the grass-root level. When proper education is not provided to children belonging to such categories during the primary stage itself then on what basis are the reservations provided at a subsequent stage.

Reservations are nothing but means to prosper the vote banks of politicians. They are hindering the country’s growth, development and competency in all aspects. On one hand the preamble of our constitution states that we are a free, democratic and sovereign nation and on the other hand reservation system is chaining all these aspects into its clutches. It is creating disparity and differences amongst the people. The constitution lays down that every child has a right to education and no where expresses that any child belonging to a backward class has a little more of this right than the general category. By reserving one category against another creates a feeling of division which is now resulting in a chaos with every small section of the society asking for it.

Reservations on the basis of caste and not on the basis of condition are bad and unacceptable. Fair and just reservations to uplift the people with poor conditions of life, those who don’t have meals to eat, clothes to wear and no home to live in. They shall be made on the basis of factors such as gender as women are more disadvantaged than men since primitive times, domicile, family education, family employment, family property, family income and if any disabilities and traumas. The process of reservation should be such that it filters the truly economically deprived individuals and bring them all to justice.

Thus reservations are anti-thesis of development and equality. We don’t need reservations based on castes or religion but only to actually provide aid to those who have minimal resources; and merit should be given equal  and due importance in admission procedures as well employment opportunities. This way we would be successful in removing caste discrimination and unite the economically rich together in helping the economically poor, irrespective of their castes.

Tweet
Add an opinion
Like us on FB?  

Disclaimer: Youth Ki Awaaz is an independent, non-partisan media platform. The views of our writers don't necessarily represent the views of the platform. If you disagree with anything we publish, please send us an alternative view, or comment and register your disagreement. Know more about how Youth Ki Awaaz works.

Join the conversation

58 comments

1. muthamizh

if everyone is given same education from childhood irrespective of caste, religion, poor or rich, urban or rural, than there is no need of reservation on any basis…. but present situation needs reservation based on poverty, and you know one thing in some places some people got rejected in interview just because they belong to lower casts….. and what is your opinion about inter caste marriage……. if everyone is saying that all are equal than everyone is so reluctant to inter caste marriage?

2. Rahul Narayan

It doesn’t take a genius to prove reservations are injustice, but the problem is Caste based reservation and not reservation itself, as people are okay with Economy based reservation .. But when the problem “caste based reservations”, why to clamor only against reservations leaving caste alone!! , if we could wash out caste then these reservations will automatically vanish,
    But, how many of these anti reservation folks speak against caste , how many of them speak about the Injustice done to these low caste Hindus for than 3500 years now, where these people are not even allowed to walk on the roads, for gods sake leave schools, hospitals, and all other social institutions alone, What can be done to compensate the injustice incurred to these unprivileged people. Are these mere 60 years of reservations good enough to heel the wounds that these people have been compelled to suffer from?

Is there any anti reservation folk here ready to keep his SURNAME aside!! ..
    Until unless Some insane and idiotic writings like Manu Dharma are washed out and HINDUISM itself undergoes some radical and fundamental changes, CASTE will not be uprooted so will be the humiliations and injustice…

Once reservations are removed, these unprivileged people will again be slowly moved away from the society, which can only take us back to those inhuman and barbarous olden days. Think from the other perception too, before criticizing the reservations .. Cheeers : ) ..

• Khan

What 3500 years… you are taking about.. We only have written history for 1500 years, and rest are just assumptions. Were u there for 3500 years? If that is the case every hindu and sikh should blame Islam for atrocities that were done on them for past 700 years. What a weird logic. It is the same way that if a person is murderer then all his coming generation should be treated as murderer, what a stupid logic.

3. Aniruddha

Kranthi : The trauma is terrible and I agree this is unfair but honestly have you met all Brahmins in the world ? If no then giving a genral statement about Brahmins is wrong isn’t it ?

4. Victor

this is a stupid article …
    -
    due u know that sc/st’s were not allowed to have education, wealth, lands etc. for thousands of years. sc/st’s are of great population of any other castes. 80% of them are still under poverty line. out of them how many are benefited through reservation ?? reservation must be based on caste.

5. Guest

the best solution for this problem is economical help & financial help …!!!! than 2 provide reservation..!!! cause students frm its own strenth n hard work will move forward instead of reservaton…!!!!! there are many students frm my coll “” AREY Y 2 STUDY RESERVATION IS THERE WE WILL GET ADMISSION”””””” this should not happen

6. Arpit Jain

is there any kind of racial benefits or reservation in any field to blacks in USA..??

7. true indian

@@SO what you are trying to say that this move of having reservation will encourage ppl to have inter caste marriages just to enjoy benefits of reservation…………..and in the process everyone will be dalit as those with no reservation must have moved to some other countries or must have committed suicide as they have no job to support their family…………….great going man……..Why dont you bring the reservation to 99.99%………….and implement it in both public and private sector……..that way to get a job you have to be from reserved category and you can actually force them to marry someone from reserved category……………………………what i believe that ppl in favour of even .1% of reservation are not only traitors as they are trying to bring country down but also enemy of humanity!!!!!!….be realistic make primary education free for all instead of doing all this crap………………it has been 65 years and not much has changed……………..earlier it was britishers now politicians………formula is still same”divide and rule”………..and it still works!!!!!!

8. rathanbabu

ok. i am agreeing with the misuse of the cast card by our politicians. yes we , indians need reservation, not just for the upbringing the downtrodden but to avail a secured place to live in society. from the first days of our human society, we have oppression of weaker sections. with the generations it took several forms like caste, colour ,place, religion, even with gender. so oppressed people need a way to get on with their lives. the way is, i think, reservation in education, reservation in jobs. till today we have dalits and tribals not having an idea of ” why sanitation is required” . so until they feel the real meaning of confidence and stress-free life, we need resrvations. i request those who are against the reservations to come forward and make it possible as soon as early we can reach it. then reservation will go down automatically.thanks for the place given for my views.

9. kiran Deep

thank you , this information was very very useful for my project . thanks for the comments too.

10. mitali

We should not have Reservation Stuff… its totatly unfair with the open class… and they are not happy with this….
    and the person who doesnt have any talent, any skills… still they get everything through reservation…
    Reservation should be done only on the economical bases.. who dont have house to live, dont have cloths to wear, dont have food to eat…
    The people who are poor are till now poor and the rich people are getting more and more rich day by day…
    For our Country Progress we have to boycut all these things….

11. Kaiser

This is one of the worst, poorly researched articles there ever was !

First of all, one should realise the fact that

1) Ambedkar had compromised his demand for seperate electorate to have reservations, rather, representations. Would you have been happier , if something like Pakistan had happened for the Dalits ? Just saying.

2) I would like to know the author’s stand on women’s reservations. I find it appalling people say women deserve representation because they are “discriminated” in society. But the truth is a Dalit is million times discriminated more ! Just disguise yourself as a Dalit and try finding a house, you’ll find atrocious replies, irrespective of the economic status a Dalit belongs to. You’ll know how difficult it is to be a dalit.

The author’s assumptions that reservation is strengthening caste system is laughable to the extremes. If so, why haven’t the Brahmins , who do not enjoy any caste system given up their caste ? After all, they don’t need a caste identity since they are Forward , isn’t it ? Why not question matrimonial ads which specifically have ads like (Caste no bar, but SCs not preferred). It is in fact caste system which existed for 1000s of years which culminated in reservations.

The author needs to get a grip of reality and tour rural India and if possible, even notice patterns in urban India which reek of this malaise of caste system. When you see how rotten the current system is , you’ll know Dalits have no protection in this world, other than the reservations ! True story !

• Raj Johari

As far as reservation is concerned it was built by Indian constitution for helping poor people about 60 years ago. At that time caste was prime measure of poor and rich, but now a day this completely vanish since there are many lower caste people who are rich, hence there should be no reservation based on cast or religion. All the young guys try to understand the politics of our old generation “Netas” who are trying to apply “divide and rule” on Indians with help of these types of rules.

They wants our young generation to be indulge in “cold war” among themselves so that they can rule smoothly.

• Parnika

Hey,I’m a student currently researching on Dalit History. Not really well versed with these issues but i have a question. In one of the above comments, some one mentioned that sometimes discrimination doesn’t end even when one has achieved a superior economic status, because ultimately his/her caste is given more importance. So reservation on the basis of caste is justified because uplift-ment of the entire caste is needed to end discrimination against them. I am asking, would that help? Sure it would take many years for the entire caste to be uplifted, but if and when this happens, wouldn’t they still be associated with their previous status? Wouldn’t they still be discriminated against on the basis of their caste? If one Dalit person is discriminated against even when he becomes rich, wont they all be still discriminated against even if they all become rich? Because ultimately their caste matters, India being a caste based society.

• Divineom

Completely agree,, this article is completely biased/inflammatory and retarded !! More ever the language used by the author completely reflects his disdain attitude towards the less privileged/fellow being.

Off course, meritocracy must prevail but for the merit based system, one prerequisite is a level playing field for everyone and in India there isn’t. I suggest the author and the prejudiced people to move their ass out of their home and visit their nearby village and try to understand the rural Bharat.

Note: i would like the administrators of YkA to review articles before publishing it online as i have gone through many articles on this site which are poor in taste, biased and no way matches the standard that YkA has achieved. I guess many articles are published by hot headed teenagers. Peace

12. subash

This reservation is just a card for getting vote for the government.So Don’t Trust on this reservations.It only destroys our own capability.Let us say if a person A scores 90% and Person B Scores 50%.Both are completing their education in good college.Later on once they enter on to some good non government jobs,person A will survive easily but person B will be struggling to make himself unto the mark.This is what happening with the current job scenarios.Even Government is trying to have reservations is some Indian MNC’ s , but none of them are ready to accept this until now.So ignore this reservation and prove our own potential to reach heights.The government is just going with the same British concept of divide and rule & they just want to be in the power and loot the country.

• True indian

SO what you are trying to say that this move of having reservation will encourage ppl to have inter caste marriages just to enjoy benefits of reservation…………..and in the process everyone will be dalit as those with no reservation must have moved to some other countries or must have committed suicide as they have no job to support their family…………….great going man……..Why dont you bring the reservation to 99.99%………….and implement it in both public and private sector……..that way to get a job you have to be from reserved category and you can actually force them to marry someone from reserved category……………………………what i believe that ppl in favour of even .1% of reservation are not only traitors as they are trying to bring country down but also enemy of humanity!!!!!!….be realistic make primary education free for all instead of doing all this crap………………it has been 65 years and not much has changed……………..earlier it was britishers now politicians………formula is still same”divide and rule”………..and it still works!!!!!!

13. Ravi Kukreja

Solution to the Big Issue:
    I think from the time the concept of reservation has started, people who have already been benefited with the reservation; their siblings, parents, future generations must not be considered for reservation as they must have already “uplifted the social status” of their family. which was the sole objective of the reservation. I personally feel that I being A Talented Young Male Middle-class Hindu so called citizen of India is being demoralized and being forced to withdraw my whole faith from education and legislation of India as it taught me since my childhood the “Right To Equality” which I don’t posses right now. This content is not with intention for offence its just a suggestion which must be considered for recommendation.

• Kaiser

Someone’s social status apparently in society does not change just because they are uplifted economically.

Look at Mayawati, she’s so rich but in the eyes of the media , she is just another Dalit.

Stuff like Social upliftment through reservations is a brainwash.

Reservations are meant for representation, just like how it is in US. Yes, USA has reservations for Blacks , Hispanics and Amerindians because of the discrimination they face. That is the same logic applied here and is applied to SCs and STs. They need representation of their own people to understand their problems and help them out. After all, no Brahmin is going to come and help out the Dalits, isn’t it ?

• Ravi

May be you don’t know USA.. Its point based system.. Less income more points..

14. thats amzg  article , would like 2 apprecate u ….

as per me thts the truth bt if it is said that India provides equality to al that would be competely wrong coz sc / st / obcs are gettg reservations  then wt abt fcs they r educated & sittg at home its idiotic
    ya reservation must not be provided on the basis of caste bt on other factors like economic , there status or wt so ever 
           THIS TOPIC IS QUITE COMPLICATED IT DO HAVE MERITS & DEMERITS WCH MIGHT BE Conflicting FROM Everyone VIEW………

15. Manoj

We should not allow such reservation on cast basis. Any amount of financial help for poor but meritoreous students s fine. Those who believe so, shall meet Primeminister at Lal Quila on 15 Aug. Let us send this to all in our email address book, for vast publicity for this noble cause.

16. Srk7azad

i think you are not aware of worst impact of caste system on the lower caste people in a country like India where govt. is formed whether union or state, with the support of some particular caste or community….. Am sorry to say but if u want to remove reservation system based on caste, firstly remove the caste system. If there would be no caste then there would be no caste based discrimination and there wont be any need of caste based reservation. Because for e.g. if you think there should not be reservation on economic basis then firstly you have to remove the difference between rich and poor in the same way as said earlier……..  The reservation is given to uplift the particular caste of the society.

17. arpeeta basu

i have read your article. its wonderful.i want to be in touch with you for my research project.i am a student of political science from calcutta university.please help!

18. Hi Everyone

I am also one of the supporter of those people who are against reservation system. That’s why I am going to start my own website on this and not only this but where we will also discuss other social issues in India.
    About reservation system, it is totally discriminating. As Kishore has mentioned in his comments that bcz in old era Brahmins were used to harass Backward classes and bcz of that they lost their vision and were not allowed to go to schools. So they were thrown into darkness of illiteracy and poverty. But even if that is true it doesn’t mean now Government should do same with General Class. But on other side Government should give equal rights to everyone rather discriminating us on the base of caste. Also 50 + years is a long time to achieve that objective to uplift backward classes and if government couldn’t achieve that yet then it can’t achieve it ever.
    Rather this reservation system is still creating a wall between us by discriminating us on the base of caste system. Like this we can never forget that we are from different castes and can never go together.
    We should give it a deep thought and bring a change.

19. Shreyasi joshi

I totally agree with u sumedha.Development of any nation is hindered by inequality among masses and that is what reservation has done.we need to take urgent step on this matter rather then just pondering over it.

20. Shreyasi

U are exactly right sumedha, reservation is the reason of discrimnation faced by our society . we need to take urgent step on it rather then just pondering over it then only our nation and people living in it will prosper.

21. Rajat Maheshwari

This article was simply awesome.I also praise that there should be only economic reservation and not any caste reservation.I think we should give our effort to make people educated,so that they come to know their rights and not by giving oppurtunity to those who don’t deserve that by reservation.There are many people who belongs to general category are more poor than those of backward class,then how can our system give rise to this reservation system just by saying that those people belong to backward class.

• sumedha

thank you so much Rajat for your comments. I really hope a day comes in this country when we dont have to write about all this and there are only good things to write upon.

Best

22. Subodh Kumar Meghwal

If there is someone there who thinks that once the scheduled caste people become rich there life is easy listen to this. A person from the village came in search of job to Mumbai. After all “Mumbai is a land of opportunities”. He soon became rich through sheer hardwork and determination. After he had enough money to live in comfort for the rest of the day…s of his life he went back to his native village. To help the villagers he dug a borewell on his land. He was found dead the very next day. And why you may ask? He was killed by the rich “higher caste” land owners because they believed that a low caste has no right to dig borewell on his own land. So even his coming up in life didn’t change the way ‘the pure caste’ saw him. And the sad part is that a person’s caste is decided by birth.So while in Cities you mayn’t notice the caste system it is very much there.

• vg

so for things going on in village u will punish the one in cities …………………….thats very bad we students never discriminated u we started when we came to know that u are getting admin to college less marks than us where we were not able to get

23. Zhang Lui

It is really intresting article. But these SC, ST, BC and OBC’s are comming to China they never mentioned about it. How these people they look like? Are they mentally having problems? Or Physically they have problems? Or are they some sort of defect people?
    And why Indian Government they never mentioned these things in there passports? So we don’t allow such type of SC, ST, BC and OBC people.
    It is very article and we must stop these type of bad people in our society.

• Subodh Kumar Meghwal

The main objective of the Indian reservation system is to increase the social and educational status of the underprivileged communities, enabling them to take their rightful place in Indian society. The reservation system exists to provide opportunities for the members of the SCs and STs so as to increase their representation in the legislature, the executive of the nation and states, the labor force, schools, colleges, and other social institutions.

• vg

what are u still poor huh………..why rich sc st obc should get reservations?

24. Pingback: Will This Degree-Hungry, Number-Obsessed Educational System Help? | Youth Ki Awaaz

25. Kranthi

when i was doing my graduate course, my HOD(head of the dept a Brahmin himself) had complained my dad about my behavior in college. He told my dad that all my friends are Brahmin’s. he even threatened my dad the he will make me fail in the exam. i didn’t know about this until i failed in exam continuously. i didn’t care for the HOD’s words, nor my father advice everything was over and i started afresh. now i feel i am protected from few at-least because i have reservation. Brahmin’s are worst humans. the gene will not alter even for 1000years. such experience will haunt every backward class Indian. untouchable, atrocity, still exist in India.

• indian

same goes for you people who just think about casts

• Mr. Dont count all the brahmins are same. ok.. what about those have sacrifies their life to give us independence have you forgot that? we have studied with sc and obc people and even we go for muslim friends house and join in their festivals. and now my employee is a sc candidate. and u people are enjoying the reservation and utilizing this . can you tell me a sc canditates father is a managing director and having a banglow and bank balance maintaning two cars and his children or grand childrens needs a reservation ??? is salman khurshid’s grand children needs reservation ? No Then make a reservation those are really poor and financially back word ….. being a human have u ever raised ur voices for general people?
      politicians devide us and militants united us. Due to political gain politicians playing with indians mind it.

• vg

man some brahmins are bad so for that you give punishment all other good brahmin or open category who want to go to a particular college and they have nothing to do with destroying ur future

26. Pingback: India: A Highly Fragmented Society

27. taisha

hey sumedha, im really impressed by your article.im doing my research on the reservation policy of India.Could you please give me your views on reservation?..my research question is; ” Is there a direct link between reservation policy and the ultimate goal of equality?
    thankyou

28. siddharth

i have seen even the reserved students feeling humiliated when they are asked by their batchmates that if they have got the seat on category basis…..what i want to assert is that merit comes to play now or then…the placement of a college would be 70% , the ones who would remain would largely consist of these reserved people only……..instead of spoon-feading such people the govt. requires to financially support the people with poor financial background and ensure that a skilled and talented generation makes it to the elite institutes of the country……..

29. Deepinder Singh Sandhu

I think the Seat Reservation system started by the Congress government of India is absolutely ridicolous. The BJP to followed this Vote Policy, but they don’t think that the General Category will vote against them. If there is Reservation Policy let it be for the poor people Below Poverty Line & not for those SC, ST & OBC above poverty line & being Middle class or rich. The government one day will have to pay for this. They can’t do this punishable act against most of the Indians. This should be banned & the Freedom of Equality should be given to every one of Indian people.

30. Now a day , We live in a horrible situation. Just imagine Class One (1) class student asked her teacher about reservation . Because her Friends ( S.C., S.T) friend get cloth from School and She Did not.

I know reservation Must be needed , but how long time ? Who are the Minority .?

One thing I believe ” In all over the World there are Two Class, Two religions ,
    Those are : i) Rich
    ii) Poor
    If reservation Must needed then reserve the B.P.L., & other people who really Needy . Plz , wake Up, It time to Do. Not for discussion ……
    ( Prasanta Kumar Dey,) send mail :- [email protected]

31. Dear Sumedha,

Read your article on Indian Constitution. It is excellent on all counts.

I am the founder of Janhit Manch (www.janhitmanch.org) and Forum For Fast Justice (www.fastjustice.org). We are in Mumbai.

If you are in Delhi, I will be there during 14-17th July July and will be staying at India International Centre. I will talk to you if you can mail your cell no. It will be my pleasure to meet an intelligent law student like you.

With regards.

(Bhagvanji Raiyani)
    Chairman and Managing Trustee,
    Forum For Fast Justice.
    09820403912

32. kishor

Reservation is based on caste . Caste system is only resposible for introduction of reaservation system. Education was denied to the shudras(OBC) and untouchable(SC and ST). Due to lack of education , shudra people lost their vision, morale,efficiency, wealth and power. Priest become God (Bhudeva) and without doing any work ,Priest looted poor shudra since his birthday till his death by preaching false religious rite and by demanding heavy gifts from Shudras.They were harassed by upper caste ( which are only 10 to 15% of all population) by denying equal opportunity to shudra in social life.
    Acoording to census there are 50% OBC caste, 16% SC caste and 7.5% ST caste . By giving 50 % reservation 80% population is nothing but justice denied to poor people who are victims of caste system.
    The word reservation is wrongly introduced , the exact word should be representation .

33. rakesh sharma

i dont know if the constitution mentions class or caste as a base for providing reservations but what is there in govt policy is not class it is caste.class differences are to be taken in the economic disparities and not on the basis of the family you were born in.also it will therefore be unconstitutional to provide reservations on the basis of caste if class is provided as a basis in the constitution.

34. Abhishek Singh Azad

We lives in a country where surname is important than your position in most of the places. Surname and Caste decides who is above and who is below. Reservation was there for the Socially  backward classes because it was assumed that when these Socially backward classes will be equal to other Higher Caste or Class then there will be no need of any type of caste based reservation….. but even today there are several places where equality is not there, as we may see in our daily life.

35. Akshay Vikas

As educated Indians, most of us have, at some point or the other of their lives, either benefitted from or suffered due to reservation policies. Thus, it is very difficult for us to give honest and impartial views on such issues.

Type to Search

See all results