Importance Of Employee Background Check Prior To Job Offer

Posted on February 27, 2011 in Biz and Eco

By Anushri Mondal:

In this world of high competition where every individual strives to leave the other behind, there are frequent cases when an individual commits forgery his identity or supplies wrong information in order to land in a job of his choice or requirement. In such cases, it is the company which stands to lose. The person might not work with as much efficiency as he is required to do, or might occupy a position that could have belonged to a more deserving candidate. Similar instances are noted in cases when renting a house, creating a bank account, making passports etc. Hence, there are some societal practices that must be followed in order to curtail the vicious intentions of such individuals. This article is based on methods that can be used to check the background of a person prior to giving him/her a job, allowing him to stay in your house as a tenant or even letting him/her create an important document.

We know that criminals and deceivers prowl at every corner just to take your advantage. It is essential for every human being to be extremely cautious of his surroundings. Similar logic applies to recruiters when they choose a particular candidate for their company. Checking the bio-data and asking a few questions on the information provided may not reveal the whole truth. The person sitting in front of the recruiter, looking impressive and decent might have come there with some ulterior motive in mind. Hence, it is of vital importance to check the candidate and his background prior to employing him/her in the company. Such a procedure is termed as employment background check.

Now what are the things that are carried out in such a unique check?

First, it is important to know whether the candidate has any criminal record in the past, this is called the criminal record check.

Then comes the point where the employer has to check whether the candidate has been sued on any civil issues in the past.

Thirdly, comes the point of verifying whether the information by him/her in the bio-data is genuine or forged. These include the academic qualification, the work experience mentioned by the prospective employee. There have been cases when the candidate supplies wrong information just to get hold of a job.

Hence, it is significant to know the authenticity of the information provided by him/her. One can get his true picture from the company from where he has worked earlier, that too, if he has worked. The previous company can give a detailed picture of his potential as a worker, his sincerity and his/her capability.

Then the next thing that requires verification is his financial or economic condition. One needs to find out whether he/she has been known to have failed in repaying loans. If he/she has, then such person must be taken into the company with caution and care.

There are agencies that specialize in such background check works. One needs to get assistance from one such reliable agency in order to perform the task successfully. With the employment background check successfully implemented, one can go ahead and recruit the individual who has presented himself/herself as the potential candidate for a particular post/profile. So, be safe!

VJ

Though there are employees who cheat and background checks are important, there are so many loopholes in the verification system that it might give a wrong information. Commenting on your statement…”One can get his true picture from the company from where he has worked earlier, that too, if he has worked”…I feel today Employer background check is needed to be done before proceeding with employee background check….I request you to come out of the top companies and look at the lives of those working in small and middle level companies.

Which is worse…?

Mr. X who lies on his CV while joining a mid level company Y of 100 employees
or
Company Y cheating 100 employees and giving a bad feedback on employees who resign to join an MNC.

Shantha

I am an engineer. My 1st company promoted me with a recognition “Best Junior employee” (out of 250 employees in my cadre), My 3rd company gave me clerical jobs in spite of the fact that I joined as Team Lead (because my manager favoured someone from his place of origin). I was forced to come 29 days a month so that I would quit but I didn’t. While I had 5 yrs of exp, I was made to report to someone with one year of exp. Working in gulf, if I break a contract, I would be subject to ban and would lose a lot of money (advance given to accommodation, my kids visa wud get cancelled and it would not be possible to change school etc). It is very difficult to prove when an employer is at fault. Now though my designation is Team Lead, all I did was paper work. Now which job site would select my CV if I am honest about the work I did. We are forced to lie sometimes.

Skinexchange

When it is not possible to do background verification on our politicians before they stand for election or after they get elected, I feel it is futile to believe that the background verification system has benefit on common citizens. Many honest people get arrested for mistakes they do not do and especially for being straight forward. When they try to start a new life, if their past records are going to prevent them from getting employment, I feel we are forcing them to take the wrong road.