Legalizing Prostitution: Should We Or Should We Not?

Posted on February 20, 2011 in Society

By Srishti Chauhan:

Prostitution is considered to be the oldest profession in the history of the world. Since time immemorial we have heard of prostitution- mentioned in scriptures, depicted in engravings, crafted on canvas and what not.

With the evolution of society and economy as we see it today, many countries find it obligatory to impose a ban on this practice. Seeing it as a source of degradation to the society and a harbinger of amoral practices, prostitution is often condemned and looked down upon.

Nonetheless, there is one question that we must ask ourselves regarding prostitution. Turning a blind eye towards prostitution and hoping that it will vanish with time is like saying “If I don’t see it, it doesn’t exist.” A significant question worth putting forward is whether legalization of prostitution would be for the better of the society or not?

In India, the very first area of concern that springs up is the magnitude of Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs) that shall be spread if this practice is legalized. However, pause and think. Is prostitution an unfamiliar practice? Does it not happen all over the country with the knowledge of the police, the media as well as the public administration system? From depiction of the grand ‘kothas’ in Devdas to the shabby one roomed brothels in Dev D, India has it all. There are many countries in the world where prostitution is not unlawful. The governments in these countries have put forward the argument that by legalizing this practice they would at least be able to regulate it. Prostitutes can be registered with the government and regular health check-ups made binding.

However, there are major draw-backs to this proposal. What happens to a sex-worker once he or she acquires an STD? They lose the right to practice their profession- but do they have an alternative means of living as an option? Most sex-workers lack education, but even if they do have some aptitude, would they be accepted as a part of the society without facing discrimination?

In India, prostitution is not illegal. It is the practices like soliciting sex in a public place, kerb crawling (driving around areas for street prostitution), keeping a brothel, pimping and pandering (operating a prostitution business) associated with prostitution that is criminal.

However, without these activities, carrying on prostitution is difficult, if not impossible. The constitution makers have opted for a middle path in this case — which does not serve the purpose. It leaves the prostitutes in a neither-here-nor-there situation.

On the other hand, absolute legalization of prostitution would work well to combat female trafficking. Females who are trafficked from Nepal and Bangladesh for this purpose would have to be registered and this way the police would be able to verify that they are not minors who are forced into this profession. This practice would be somewhat similar to that of not employing children below the age of 14 years.

Also, as a part of the underground economy, prostitution is one massive industry- the income earned from which, if included in the GDP will make it shoot upwards by a significant amount. This not only gives us a more actual status of the economy but also helps curbing sources of black money.

Another pro of legalizing prostitution is that it will help regulate any impostors who run the business in the façade of other things. Only last year did the media unveil a scam involving a priest in a temple who worked as a pimp. Legalizing prostitution may not help eradicate these practices but may surely help curtail them to a large extent.

Legalization of prostitution, however, has a marked social cost. What earlier used to happen behind closed doors and in secrecy would now be out in the open. Dilapidation of a morally high-ranking society would be but obvious. There are not many people who would appreciate a brothel anywhere near their homes or work areas.

All said and done, one thing that we have to address is how to integrate prostitutes as a part of the society or how to alienate them completely. A middle path has worked in all the wrong ways. Either complete elimination of the system by means of proper policing and laws should be executed; or the incorporation of this highly unorganized sector into the structured part of the economy should be done.

The question is big and any decision regarding the same shall be a milestone in the history Indian economy. Legalization has its pros as well as its cons. Weighing them right, keeping in mind the future expected changes in the economy, is vital as well as crucial.

Image courtesy.

Neeraj Arora

It must be legalized to empower the woman who are not prostitutes as they will be able to easily go anywhere wihout fear of being watched by other men with lusty eyes. When a man will get sex easily by simply paying, then there will be very rare rape cases, eve-teasing, etc. Thanks to the prostitutes who satisfies the devils before they turn their dirty eyes over other woman on road and think of raping them. This will make lives of man and woman much better.

indira mishra

yes legalization of prostitution means it encourages free sexual relationship between men and women ,both positive and negative are there. yes the trend was carried out in India before during various historical time. king, royal families , then nawab also preferred women dancers and singers. they were specially residing in kothis. so many entertainment provisions were there. the tradition never bring change in society or culture. the main thing is whether it solve the rapes cases or any social abuses by encouraging the legalization of prostitution. Do men find the proper way of meeting their social, emotional personal needs? DO the prostitutes get real regard and social value in society or not? otherwise rape , harrashment and abuses will not be solved rather it will increase more if women are taken for a commercial deal of sexual entertainment for the men. I think if men are involved more emotionally in such profession, they will loose social and family values of the society, the moral values will be lost totally. if they take it as a commercial deal then it can solve the purpose of legalization of prostitution.If it is converted to one addiction, dependance emotional attachment then the whole purpose of the business is changed in to very tragic condition. there will be more chaios ,more violence and abuses.

pepe

Indian society is full of hypocretes. Prostitutes are the victim of political leaders and police nad lical goons in india. They come from needy and illeterate families. They should be educated and free to work . International hepl is required to help them.

pepe

Prostitution is an oldest profession of the world. Without them the victim of rape will increase in india like third world poor country. Prostitution must be legalized in india like third world country, other wise virus like HIV will spread world wide, its an international concern. Why and How? Most of indian prostitutes are illiterate and poor, they do not know how HIV spreads. Because of it is illigal in india ( vertually illigal for the sake of political gain and money for police) indian man gets limited time to have sex with them, Some time poor indian quality condom brust and HIV spreads. A prostitute could be good wife. We have seen many exemple in England and U.S.A and other first world countries.

pepe

Are you mad? whts rape? you and me go to prostitutes for our pleasure. is it not? and we give the fee for that. General lecture of rape is not applicable here, coz its their profession(you may call it hard job but not rape). See if I seat on yo sister and if she refuse to have sex with me and shout and tell other to punish me that will be rape, but if you sister have sex with me gerntly that will be my pleasure. Thats why theory of rape is not applicable of professionals. Ok ? got it? Its their job to satisfy cusomers. like other customer servises. One can marry a prostitute easily, because some of them are extremely inteligent and after all beautifull even better than film stars and celebrity, having sex with them , oooo my god!!! ummmmmmmmm.
Indian like third world and poor country is not a good place for prostitutes, US , England and other firs world country are the good place of this profession. The prostitutes live a normal and prestigious life in those advanced first owrld country unlike poor and thir world country like india.

1 2